Buying a 2014 from an non CA dealer prepurchase questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieranmullen

They have a Toyota side but this is being sold by the other car side.

I should see if they will be willing to service it and sell the extended warranty and if all (are there any ?) recalls have been fixed.

I would imagine there would be a way to determine the service records through Toyota?

If they service Ev's would they be able to run a proper diagnostic on the battery pack? Thank you!

If the dealer is outside California (or even within California, but not at an EV certified dealer), then it's likely that they won't be able to do specific EV repairs. Normal service could be performed any place... rotate tires and check windshield washer fluid.

Any dealer can sell the Tier 3 Toyota Platinum Warranty.

Yes, whatever "service records" would be from Toyota. If the car never had ANYTHING done to it, it would be fine. Check the tires and brakes, and all fluids. If it's over 2 years old, I would arbitrarily replace the 12 volt battery.

There's not much to diagnose on the battery. It works or is doesn't.

It is not a matter if it works or not. It is a matter if its current condition and hopefully how it was treated. Nissan includes a free battery test the first few years.

Does it have a cooling system?

TonyWilliams said:
There not much to diagnose on the battery. It works or is doesn't.

kieranmullen said:
It is not a matter if it works or not. It is a matter if its current condition and hopefully how it was treated. Nissan includes a free battery test the first few years.

Does it have a cooling system?

TonyWilliams said:
There not much to diagnose on the battery. It works or is doesn't.

Sorry, this isn't a "Nissan" product. Of course, it has proper heating and cooling, provided by Tesla. The "free" battery test that Nissan providers from a dealer isn't worth the paper it is printed on. If you want good Nissan battery data, I recommend the several apps that are available.

If you want to estimate degradation on the 2012-2014 Toyota Rav4 EV, I have provided a method to do that:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

Take the VIN number over to the Toyota "side" and ask to see the service records.That is what I did when i purchased mine used.

The motor recall has a firmware update remedy that can be installed - as long as the dealer has the ability. If not - take it to one who has - its free.
The other recall is a windshield wiper motor that has no published remedy yet.

If the car has less than 3 years/ 36K miles you can purchase a toyota platinum warranty - see the prices on here and don't overpay - I overpaid by not checking first.

I agree with Tony - if the car is older that 2 years - replace the 12 volt battery with an Optima.

And the traction battery is fully covered for 8 years / 100K - I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Only issue I had with mine is a bad heater - pretty common. Also covered under warranty.

kieranmullen said:
Could do without the snarkiness. Thanks

TonyWilliams said:
Sorry, this isn't a "Nissan" product.

Just deal in facts! These are some of the threads that I started concerning the Nissan LEAF battery:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9694

http://insideevs.com/all-the-results-from-the-largest-independent-test-of-nissan-leafs-with-lost-capacity-not-instrument-failure/

Back