Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Out of State service
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm 

So has anyone who purchased a RAV4 EV out of state experienced any trouble getting the vehicle service?

I'm especially interested in how your dealer is handling updates to the Tesla tech, and how they would handle motor replacements etc.

My dealer indicated that they have 0 training with these vehicles, and because of this, can not commit to the repairs/service.

I know 1 dealer sold at least 40+ vehicles to out of state buyers, so I'm hoping someone here has more experience with this (don't wish anything bad to anyone tho).

Post subject: Re: Out of State service
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm 

amped up wrote:
My dealer indicated that they have 0 training with these vehicles, and because of this, can not commit to the repairs/service.

Are they Pruis Plug-In certified? If not, have you talked to a dealer who is PiP certified?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm 

Yea they are, which is why I was surprised by their reaction. I bought my Plug-in from them actually.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:39 pm 

When I picked up my Rav this week, my dealer had me signed a paper saying that this car stays in CA for support. This is a waiver for Toyota. He indicated it is a recent document required by Toyota for sale of this car. So don't know if this has to do with handling (Toyota's solution) for out of state sales.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm 

I've seen this document, and was told by the Toyota dealer in CA that I have to sign this as well, basically stating I might be on my own if I don't bring it back to CA if I want any support. That said, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act overrides that, it clearly states that the vehicle has to be services at ANY of the dealerships in the United States.

Since so many of the cars have shipped to other states, I'm surprised to hear that no one has encountered any issues. I'd like to hear from people how they handled it, so I can guide my dealership (they are more than willing to 'learn', they just need guidance).

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:07 am 

amped up wrote:
So has anyone who purchased a RAV4 EV out of state experienced any trouble getting the vehicle service?

Not surprised. Doing so costs money. Toyota's not selling these outside CA nor planning on making very many (2600).

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm 

Right, but considering how many vehicles are going out of state, we either have many people who love high-stakes gambling, or they know something I don't ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 pm 

amped up wrote:
Right, but considering how many vehicles are going out of state, we either have many people who love high-stakes gambling, or they know something I don't ;)

I fail to see the "high stakes" for within USA purchase from a huge company that does business in the USA.

Just because Toyota wants to only sell in California does not in any way relieve the of their obligations to US law.

Yes, they will lie and squeal like pigs, and it may take legal action to get your car fixed (or shipping it to a different dealer and sueing for transport costs).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 am 

I'll be due for my 6 mo/5,000 mile service in 4 weeks, so If someone else hasn't replied about their out of CA service before then, I'll get back to you. MY local (Vancouver Washington) Toyota dealership committed to service my Rav EV, before I finalized my purchase. We'll see if any issues concerning service, particularly the firmware updates. If any problems, I'll have no issue with hiring an attorney to make it right. Hope it doesn't come to that.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm 

I'm not too worried about basic service I guess, but more about issues like others are experiencing now (example). While they might address it if you get a lawyer involved, or ship the car back to CA, it would remove the 'good deal' part of this transaction, making this a less attractive option to me.

I do appreciate the follow-up tho, we need more data from out-of-state folks, not sure why they are all hiding ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next