So is the Rav4 EV a 2012 or a 2013... or both?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmc

With all the great deals on Rav4 EVs around, I'm sorely tempted.

One nagging question (that, perhaps, indicates why some of the big discounts are offered?) is whether or not the Rav4 EV is a 2012 or a 2013.

Of course I realize that the body style matches the 2012 (and prior) Rav4's... save for the ugly spare tire on the back gate.

According to Toyota's web site (and downloadable brochure), the Rav4 EV is a 2013... or at least that's the version being discussed on the website.

But a visit to Berkeley Toyota revealed a nice blue Rav4 EV sitting in their showroom with a clear sign on it claiming the car to be a 2012. Sure enough, a look at the "window sticker" displayed a 2012 model year.

So which is it? Or are their both?

Reason being, of course, that resale values are often largely determined by both mileage and model year...

There will only be 2,600 made, all the same 2012 body style, so whether they brand it another year, it won't matter much. There are no options, so all 2,600 will be exactly the same except for the three exterior colors.

There is still much confusion about this and going back several months as well. In their infinite wisdom I have no clue why Toyota did not start out by introducing this car as a 2013 model, but they definitely did not. There are such a surplus of them collecting on dealers lots, which model year is any given car remains a mystery. I "think" they are ALL going to be sold as 2012 models because Toyota needs the ZEV credit and maybe they need them all for a certain model year only.

Because of what you said about resale value, I can only imagine what the going "new car" price will be in 2014 when Dealers still have "leftover" 2012 model year cars to sell! :mrgreen:

TonyWilliams said:
I suspect they had a goal for how many 2012 CARB ZEV credits they needed, and built that many 2012's.

So, there will be 2012's probably for some time.
So if I understand what is being said is that the CARB credits apply to the model year and not necessarily when the cars were sold. Sounds counter intuitive to me but it is a government regulation. LOL

I bought a 2011 Think City well into 2012. Despite the bankruptcy, I believe they kept the model year 2011 because they didn't comply with the safety standards for 2012 and beyond.

I don't see Toyota adding anything to this compliance car. I am not sure what mandated safety improvements are coming in the next few years, but I don't expect Toyota to comply with them. Maybe they will sell the 2012 models for the entire run?

I expect the incentives to get better and better as these become even more difficult to move in the coming years. I am just glad I have mine just in case they pull the plug on the idea altogether as they did in the Gen1 RAV4 EV.

reeler said:
I bought a 2011 Think City well into 2012. Despite the bankruptcy, I believe they kept the model year 2011 because they didn't comply with the safety standards for 2012 and beyond.

I don't see Toyota adding anything to this compliance car. I am not sure what mandated safety improvements are coming in the next few years, but I don't expect Toyota to comply with them. Maybe they will sell the 2012 models for the entire run?

I expect the incentives to get better and better as these become even more difficult to move in the coming years. I am just glad I have mine just in case they pull the plug on the idea altogether as they did in the Gen1 RAV4 EV.

The only folks who will pull the plug is CARB, and that's what lobbyist are for. Toyota enjoys selling hundreds of thousands of oil burners, so these will get built and sold... At whatever price is needed to move them.

I'm thinking a big donation to the right politician can get Toyota some breathing room.

As strange as this may sound, rumor has it, Toyota is seriously contemplating selling the car in other states, and if true, I suspect price concessions will be drying up fairly soon. :roll:

Well, having visited the Fremont Toyota dealer this morning to check out their stock (grown from 5 to about 10 in the past two weeks), I confirmed all on the lot were 2012's. In trying to arrive at a fair price, I was playing around on Kelley Blue Book's website (see this URL) checking the trade-in vs. retail value of my current car, I happened to check KBB for their estimate of the cost of the RAV4 EV. Sure enough, they have info for both a 2012 and a 2013. How do I know they are different? The color choices!

2012 exterior colors: Blue, Silver, and [$195/$220 extra] Blizzard
2013 exterior colors: Black, Blue, Grey, Pyrite, Red, Silver, Spruce, White, and [$352/$395 extra] Blizzard

2012 interior colors: Ash
2013 interior colors: Ash and Sand Beige

And, sure enough, the $7500 incentive (my Toyota dealer claimed it was only $7000) is absent on the 2013 report.

Hmmm . . . a 2013 black one would probably really be nice to get. Was that Fremont dealer willing to sell a 2012 cheaper than 2013? I think the blue would be a good choice for a 2012. No offense to anybody who has one, but no way would I pay extra to get a "white" one no matter what fancy name they call that color.

Dsinned said:
Hmmm . . . a 2013 black one would probably really be nice to get. Was that Fremont dealer willing to sell a 2012 cheaper than 2013? I think the blue would be a good choice for a 2012. No offense to anybody who has one, but no way would I pay extra to get a "white" one no matter what fancy name they call that color.

All they had were 2012s

I would add that they produced a paper claiming the Toyota "rebate" was $7000 despite KBB's reporting that this is $7500.
This paper specifically cited the 2012 model year. There was no line item for a 2013 model year... which was moot since they didn't have any.

edmc said:
I would add that they produced a paper claiming the Toyota "rebate" was $7000 despite KBB's reporting that this is $7500.
This paper specifically cited the 2012 model year. There was no line item for a 2013 model year... which was moot since they didn't have any.

The Toyota cash is $7000 in the north and $7500 in the south.

Hello to everyone. Picking up my new Rav4 EV today at Folsom Lake Toyota for $39,988 plus tax and license before the federal tax credit and CARB rebate and at 0% for 60 months (Great deal!). Like Tony, I have a LEAF and I 've been driving it now for almost 2 years and love it, but the battery is down about 10 to 12 % and I'm having to charge on the way home from my 126 mile roundtrip commute. It's a new, 2012 model Blizzard Pearl color. Looking forward to driving an EV with a little more range. Will keep the LEAF and let the wife use it to deliver flowers at her flower shop. :D

TonyWilliams said:
The only fundamental flaw for the Rav4 is the lack of CHAdeMO.

Being a very happy new owner of a Rav4 EV, I have a different opinion :)

I'm actually more disappointed in the position of the charge receptacle than the lack of it's support for CHAdeMO. It makes for a very long/tight reach for some charging stations (particularly the one in my garage)... for which the Leaf, obviously, does not suffer. For me, I had to opt for a charging unit that had a 25' cable which, even at that length, still unfortunately has tension when plugged into my Rav4... and doesn't fully rest on the ground (i.e. potential for tripping over).

TonyWilliams said:
The LEAF is a great "gateway drug" to EV living!!!

The only fundamental flaw for the Rav4 is the lack of CHAdeMO.

Yeah, but the LEAF has CHAdeMO, so we've got it covered.

Changing subjects. Tony, are you going to do a max distance run on the Rav4 like you did on the LEAF? I did a 100% charge this morning, drove down from Angels Camp to Rancho Cordova, then to Folsom, charged for only 2 hours at the dealer and then made it back up the hill and home with 33 miles on the GOM remaining and 5 SOC bars. A total roundtrip of 137 miles. I probably would have made it home without the 2 hour charge, but just barely. I love the range on this vehicle.

Back