Still worth buying without extended warranty?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr900400

I found a decent deal for a 2013 Rav4 EV with 27,000 miles for 20,599. Unfortunately, I cannot buy an extended warranty because the vehicle is past the 3 year mark.

Is it still worth it for me to purchase without the warranty?

Thanks

sr900400 said:
I found a decent deal for a 2013 Rav4 EV with 27,000 miles for 20,599. Unfortunately, I cannot buy an extended warranty because the vehicle is past the 3 year mark.

Thanks

You seem to be making an assumption that a 2013 was actually sold new in 2013. While that might be true (and if it's a 3 year lease return, it very like is true), the only way to know if the car is eligible for warranty is to know the first new sale / lease date.

If the car is over 3 year/ 36,000 miles, you can buy an extended warranty, just not the Toyota Platinum one.

You will need to have the car inspected by a dealer to buy extended warranty, and it won't have the mileage from new. Don't buy "no-name" non-Toyota warranties. It's a complete waste of money for you and nothing but a profit center for the dealer.

TonyWilliams said:
sr900400 said:

Thanks

You seem to be making an assumption that a 2013 was actually sold new in 2013. While that might be true (and if it's a 3 year lease return, it very like is true), the only way to know if the car is eligible for warranty is to know the first new sale / lease date.

If the car is over 3 year/ 36,000 miles, you can buy an extended warranty, just not the Toyota Platinum one.

You will need to have the car inspected by a dealer to buy extended warranty, and it won't have the mileage from new. Don't buy "no-name" non-Toyota warranties. It's a complete waste of money for you and nothing but a profit center for the dealer.

No assumptions made at all, I called Toyota financial services specifically to find out whether there was already a warranty on this and for information about purchasing one if there was not. I gave the VIN to the rep who informed me that there was no warranty attached but that because it was sold new in June of 2013, it would not be eligible for a warranty. He also told me that in order to buy one, I would need to do that through the dealer at the time of purchase. I am not purchasing from a Toyota dealer, but another.

From all I've read on the forum, I was under the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that a platinum warranty was warranted for this car. If I were to get an inspection at a Toyota dealer and purchase an extended warranty from them would that cover everything I needed it to?

Incidentally, I realize that the vast majority of extended warranty's are nothing but profit centers and so would not buy a no-name non-Toyota warranty. I wouldn't have even considered purchasing one for this car were it not recommended by so many people here.

The Toyota used vehicle extended warranty offered for your car:

1) Requires an inspection of the car
2) Bought from a Toyota dealer
3) The new extended warranty starts at purchase, and not concurrent with the "when sold new" of the vehicle like the Toyota Platinum warranty does.

Example:

Sold new date: June 2013

You purchase 5 year / 50,000 mile Toyota used vehicle extended warranty in Dec 2016 with 35,999 miles on the car

It is good until Dec 2021 or 85,999 miles total

Sold new date: Jan 2014

You are eligible and purchase up to 10 year / 125,000 Platinum warranty with 35,999 miles or less on the car in Dec 2016

It is good until Jan 2024 or 125,000 miles total

TonyWilliams said:

You are eligible and purchase a 7 year / 125,000 Platinum warranty with 50,000 miles on the car in Dec 2016

It is good until Jan 2021 or 125,000 miles total
Correction:

You are eligible to purchase up to 10 years / 125,000 mile Platinum warranty with 35,000 miles on the car in Dec 2016.

It is good until Jan 2024 or 125,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first.

The car must be less than 3 years and 36,000 miles in order to buy the Toyota New Car Platinum Extended Warranty.

I recommend taking a RAV4-EV owner with you for a test drive. At least make sure everything works.

Check the Heater works.
Display reads correctly during all phases of turning on, driving, charging and shutting down.
No clunking sound from the transaxle.
No gear noise from transaxle.
Verify the L1 cord is included.

Someone else probably has a more complete list.
Is there ANY chance of a return policy if you discover a major Tesla component with issues in a few days or even 30?

Great car when they are functioning.

smkettner said:
I recommend taking a RAV4-EV owner with you for a test drive. At least make sure everything works.

Check the Heater works.
Display reads correctly during all phases of turning on, driving, charging and shutting down.
No clunking sound from the transaxle.
No gear noise from transaxle.
Verify the L1 cord is included.

Someone else probably has a more complete list.
Is there ANY chance of a return policy if you discover a major Tesla component with issues in a few days or even 30?

Great car when they are functioning.

Here ya go>

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20079#p20079

Thanks for all of your replies. I fully intend to go down the checklist posted in the announcements section and linked to here. One question, you keep giving examples using June of 2014 when the car I'm planning on purchasing is June of 2013, I'm not trying to be difficult but a year can make quite a difference when it comes to warranty's.

The guy at Toyota financial services specified that I would not be eligible for the platinum warranty. My question is, if I buy from this non-Toyota dealer, and take it to a Toyota dealer to get it inspected, and purchase an extended warranty, will that warranty be sufficient if I have major problems down the road? I guess basically, I'm not understanding why the platinum warranty makes a difference for this particular vehicle.

I can return the car for up to 5 days so that's a plus.

Thanks again.

sr900400 said:
Thanks for all of your replies. I fully intend to go down the checklist posted in the announcements section and linked to here. One question, you keep giving examples using June of 2014 when the car I'm planning on purchasing is June of 2013, I'm not trying to be difficult but a year can make quite a difference when it comes to warranty's.

The guy at Toyota financial services specified that I would not be eligible for the platinum warranty. My question is, if I buy from this non-Toyota dealer, and take it to a Toyota dealer to get it inspected, and purchase an extended warranty, will that warranty be sufficient if I have major problems down the road? I guess basically, I'm not understanding why the platinum warranty makes a difference for this particular vehicle.

I can return the car for up to 5 days so that's a plus.

Thanks again.

I gave two examples for a Dec 2016 warranty purchase:

One was a RAV4 EV purchased new in June 2013, and the second example was one purchased new in June 2014.

I didn't state that a June 2013 purchase vehicle was eligible for the Platinum warranty.

Sold new date: June 2013

You purchase 5 year / 50,000 mile Toyota used vehicle extended warranty in Dec 2016 with 35,999 miles on the car

It is good until Dec 2021 or 85,999 miles total

1) Requires an inspection of the car
2) Bought from a Toyota dealer
3) This used vehicle extended warranty starts at purchase, and not concurrent with the "when sold new" of the vehicle like the Toyota Platinum warranty does.

NOT YOUR CAR... AN EXAMPLE OF A CAR THAT IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE PLATINUM WARRANTY:

You are eligible to purchase up to 10 year / 125,000 Platinum warranty with 35,999 miles or less on the car in Dec 2016

It is good until Jan 2024 or 125,000 miles total

There is obviously still some misunderstanding here, I wasn't implying that you said that I could purchase a platinum warranty. If I could just get the following questions answered please.

You said:

1) Requires an inspection of the car Understood
2) Bought from a Toyota dealer The warranty, correct?
3) The new extended warranty starts at purchase, and not concurrent with the "when sold new" of the vehicle like the Toyota Platinum warranty does. Understood

If I buy this from a non-Toyota dealer, and take it to a Toyota dealer to get it inspected, and purchase an extended warranty, will that warranty be sufficient if I have major problems down the road? I'm not understanding why the platinum warranty makes a difference for this particular vehicle.

My understanding is that the Toyota Used car warranty must be bought at the same time as the car from a Toyota dealer. If you buy the car from a non-Toyota dealer, you can't buy one.

davewill said:
My understanding is that the Toyota Used car warranty must be bought at the same time as the car from a Toyota dealer. If you buy the car from a non-Toyota dealer, you can't buy one.

I think that may be correct, but I seem to remember Larry in Seattle got the warranty after the standard warranty expired with just an inspection.

sr900400 said:
2) Bought from a Toyota dealer The warranty, correct?
3) The new extended warranty starts at purchase, and not concurrent with the "when sold new" of the vehicle like the Toyota Platinum warranty does. Understood

If I buy this from a non-Toyota dealer, and take it to a Toyota dealer to get it inspected, and purchase an extended warranty, will that warranty be sufficient if I have major problems down the road? I'm not understanding why the platinum warranty makes a difference for this particular vehicle.

You car is NOT eligible for the "new vehicle" Platinum warranty... period.

It may be that you are both required to buy the used vehicle and the used car warranty that you are eligible for from a Toyota dealer.

At a minimum, you buy the used car warranty from a Toyota dealer and have your used Toyota (that you bought elsewhere) inspected by a Toyota dealer.

Okay, then my original question still stands, is the vehicle worth buying without an extended warranty providing that I have gone down the aforementioned checklist and found nothing wrong.

And taken it to a Toyota dealer to have them inspect it.

Example: I had the firmware recall done earlier this year. During this update, they either obsoleted (or "blew out") my gateway ECU. It had to be replaced. Since the car was fully covered, it cost me nothing but a week without the car waiting for the part.

BUT.... it has been estimated this "common failure" component costs $3500. you would be paying that to get a usable car.

I plan to own mine for a while with NO Toyota warranty.
You should still have a factory drivetrain warranty for 60 months 60,000 miles.
If you encounter trouble early you can still get most fixed under warranty and trade it off if you feel it may repeat.

But honestly most repairs seem to get fixed and do not repeat. OK the transaxle gear noise has repeated but supposedly the rebuilds have the issue worked out as of mid 2016.

Yes I think the car is worth buying as long as you know it is working properly.
Also check if you can get repair history during the Toyota inspection.

No matter what warranty anyone has most of these vehicles will still be on the road long after all is expired.
Consider that the warranty costs $1,500 to $2,000+ that is a good payment toward the first repair. Or most likely just money in your pocket.

JMHO, best of luck.

smkettner said:
Consider that the warranty costs $1,500 to $2,000+ that is a good payment toward the first repair. Or most likely just money in your pocket.

Since it is possible to get a car with a warranty (or eligible for a warranty), I would say no to getting this car.

If you like to gamble, the motor is about $15,000. The battery is $36,000. If you drive the car 125,000 miles or up to 10 years, and then you need a new motor or battery, you either junk the car or sell it "as-is". You got your money's worth.

I'm not aware of a single person who bought a motor or a battery for a RAV4 EV, but they have both been replaced under warranty.

The other items that fail:

$4000 - Onboard charger failure

$4000 - center navigation screen

$3000 - Gateway / communications "ECU" (can disable vehicle, usually a Check EV light)

$2800 - heater

$$$$$ - air conditioning

$$$$ - J1772 inlet melted

$$$$$ - Speed sensor

$$$$$ - DC to DC failure

$$ - Leaking oil from gear box (I've had this on both one RAV4 and our Mercedes B-Class ED that shares the same Tesla Model S drivetrain)

$$$$ - "CHECK EV SYSTEM" message du jour

Back