Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Buying a Rav4 outside of CA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm 

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Rav4 EV outside of CA? Maybe a loophole?

[Moderator edit]:

Kohler Controller wrote:
I thought you had to have a CA address to lease one of these. No complications leasing to an out-of-stater?

I know this should be obvious, but if you bought new, please don't get a felony fraud conviction for applying for the California $2500 rebate when you don't qualify as an out-of-state resident. Obviously, you couldn't lease out-of-state without committing fraud, or the dealer committing fraud.

If a dealer knowingly leased or sold a new car to you out-of-state, they would be in BIG trouble. Toyota USA could get into a fraud situation with California Air Resources Board (CARB) when they report the sale as in-state for Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) compliance, WHICH IS THE ONLY REASON THEY PRODUCED THIS CAR.

But, the $7500 federal tax credit works everywhere in the USA.

If you bought used, none of the above would apply.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Internal Revenue Service ... Use this form to claim the credit for certain plug-in electric vehicles. .... For tax years beginning after 2008, use Form 8936.

2013 Toyota Rav4 EV #2227 35,500 miles and counting!

Post subject: Re: Buying a Rav4 outside of CA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 pm 

You can call a CA dealer and have it shipped to you.

Issues would be:

Having it serviced by your local dealer should an issue arise.

Getting incentives on it from your state: i.e. in NJ there is no sales tax on ZEV cars, but it it not yet on the list of approved vehicles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm 

The only incentives that I'm concerned with is the $7500 cash back from Toyota. I know the $7500 tax credit from Federal isn't an issue, and my rebate from SC is $1500. I purchased my Leaf from out of state, so I know the government incentives will apply, I'm just curious about the Toyota rebate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Moderator

Yes. We already have a few non-CA members here on the forum located in Washington, Oregon and Colorado. There has been several threads posted on this subject, so just do a SEARCH for more information.

The "cashback" incentive from Toyota is a misnomer. It is actually called a "subvention" and must be applied to purchase. I don't think you can get it in a lease, although there are still incentives for leasing as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:16 pm 

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly. The $7500 from Toyota is subtracted from the sticker price, correct? Thanks in advance. Also, anyone have any preferred dealers?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:55 pm 

Charlestonleafer wrote:
Just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly. The $7500 from Toyota is subtracted from the sticker price, correct? Thanks in advance. Also, anyone have any preferred dealers?

Yes, the "subvention" $7000/$7500 cash is applied to the car, and I think it's required to have Toyota 0% financing (I could be wrong there).

Dianne Whitmore at Carson Toyota is well respected in the Prius community, and they reportedly had 17 in stock just a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:19 am 

Tony is right. The $7,500 Toyota subvention cash will be applied to the loan (you must take out a loan with Toyota Financial). It's offered at 36, 48 or 60 months, all at 0% interest. I was originally going to pay cash, but why not enjoy using Toyota's money for no interest? Even the piddly amount I'm making on my money market account is better than that (although not by much).

I'm from Washington State, and I purchased my Rav EV at Carson Toyota ... using Dianne Whitmire, just as Tony mentioned. She was fantastic, and if it's OK to list her number here, it's (949) 689-0717. (If this is not approved, I'll promptly remove it). Carson Toyota was great - and they tweaked the reverse beep for me (to a single beep) before they shipped the car.

A couple of considerations for out of staters. Most importantly, you should find a dealership in your local area that will commit to servicing your Rav EV. It takes special servicing, and many don't understand the requirements involved ... so be certain they're capable and willing to service your EV before you commit. You don't want to have to ship your vehicle to California when in need of service. Frankly, this is ridiculous for Toyota to expect anyway ... Americans move regularly, and will need to service their vehicle in their new local area.

Secondly, you will need to arrange for transport yourself. Dianne at Carson has a recommended shipper, if you decide to go through her.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 pm 

Charlestonleafer wrote:
The only incentives that I'm concerned with is the $7500 cash back from Toyota. I know the $7500 tax credit from Federal isn't an issue, and my rebate from SC is $1500. I purchased my Leaf from out of state, so I know the government incentives will apply, I'm just curious about the Toyota rebate.

The Toyota rebate does apply. It's not a rebate, per se, but applies $7,000 or $7,500 to your down payment. So we put another $6k down, making a $13k down payment, 0% for 60 mos.

Last edited by jspearman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:04 pm 

When I bought mine, the Toyota rebate was applied as cash to the deal so it acted as a downpayment on the 0% financing.
So I negotiated a little off the MSRP, then subtracted the Toyota cash, then finance, at 0%, the rest.

As has been said above, the only real issue with purchasing out of state is that "IF" your car has a problem with the EV specfic parts then the local dealership might not have the tools and almost certainly does not have the expertise to fix it. You will have to use this forum to help your local service shop becasue yours will be the only one they have ever seen. If you are comfortable with cars, I don't think it will be a big deal. If you are the type that drops the car at the dealer and expects to come back tomorrow with it fixed, this might not work well.

jspearman - where are you? I didn't see your Rav4 EV on the map http://www.zeemaps.com/Rav4EVOwners.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am 

I am from Pennsylvania. I've put deposit on a leaf from dealer in San Diego and arranged shipper. I own a Leaf and have had a great experience with it but want a second EV for my wife. Dealer in San Diego made it sound like any Toyota dealer could do basic service...tire rotation,
top off liquids, etc. What other regular service is their really?

I imagine if I go ask my local dealer before hand they are likely to say, No Way. But if I show up and say, hey...I juste moved here from
California..needs service. Do you guys think this is unrealistic? I've already signed all paperwork...I always prefer to jump first and
figure it out later...Doesn't the plug in prius have similar components? Fluids?

I realize if there is something major I may be waiting a long while for a part, but can a car company legally refuse to service a vehicle that they
produced? As has been mentioned, what if someone buys this in California and 2 years later moves to North Carolina? They're really going to refuse servicing it?

What have your experiences been with local dealers..did they figure it out? Again, how much servicing is there really...rotate tires, top off liquids, no?

Thanks for advice...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next