Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buying a Rav4 outside of CA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm 

You don't pay sales tax twice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:48 pm 

In looking to sell a leased car, I was looking at the TFS website and it shows that I can buy my car for $30,664 after 11 months of ownership. I wonder if this is accurate? This seems like a way to buy the car and get all the Toyota and Federal incentives soon after purchase. Will sales tax then be added to this price?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 pm 

Acevolt wrote:
In looking to sell a leased car, I was looking at the TFS website and it shows that I can buy my car for $30,664 after 11 months of ownership. I wonder if this is accurate? This seems like a way to buy the car and get all the Toyota and Federal incentives soon after purchase. Will sales tax then be added to this price?

Of course it will have sales tax. You are only paying a monthly "use" tax with the lease.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm 

cossie1600 wrote:
You don't pay sales tax twice
The tax will be paid in CA at acquisition, then NY may want sales tax on the used car purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Moderator

TonyWilliams wrote:
Acevolt wrote:

Of course it will have sales tax. You are only paying a monthly "use" tax with the lease.

In California an item can't be subject to both sales tax and use tax, only one or the other. If use tax is paid then there is no obligation to pay sales tax and vice versa. Also, in California you pay use tax to the state as the person who puts the item into service whereas sales tax is collected by the selling entity. So when Toyota is charging sales/use tax, that is seen by the BOE as a sales tax. Use tax is paid when you file your personal income taxes at the end of the year, or with your BOE filings directly if you happen to have a seller's permit.

When you buy out your car from TFS at the end of the term, you have already paid sales tax during the lease so you're only liable for sales tax on the residual/buyout. If you buy it out early you are essentially paying the entire rest of the term, plus the residual value. From what I can gather, the rest of the term in this buyout price DOES NOT include sales tax, so the State of California will expect you to pay sales tax to DMV upon transfer based on the buyout amount. The thing is, the big-picture tax amount will be the same if you pay it as part of the lease payments or in one lump sum upon buyout.

Also, fun fact: in California if you intend to sell your leased car to someone, you can buy it out and as long as the title is transferred to the third party buyer within 10 days, only that buyer is liable to pay tax. You, the lessee/seller are not required to pay taxes on it. Not sure how that works with an out of state sale, but here's the DMV page: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch11/ch11_20.htm

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 pm 

DevinL wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
Acevolt wrote:

When you buy out your car from TFS at the end of the term, you have already paid sales tax during the lease so you're only liable for sales tax on the residual/buyout.

Exactly... both a use tax and a sales tax,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:27 am 

I asked Dianne about TFS finance and rebate eligibility for prospective out of state buyers, and this is what I gleaned from the conversation:

1) Non-Cali buyers are not eligible for TFS 0% APR financing as promoted on buyatoyota.com after one plugs in a Cali zip code, so obtaining 3rd party financing would be necessary. See Digital Credit Union's 1.49% product for one example competitive offering that would be negligibly more expensive.

2) The Toyota $2500 rebate could potentially be applied for and awarded even when divorced from the TFS financing as above.

3) "My cars are $49688 regardless of lease or buy."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 pm 

THIS:
2) The Toyota $2500 rebate could potentially be applied for and awarded even when divorced from the TFS financing as above.
Is a customer rebate that is applied for when you're not using the TFS financing.

949-689-0717 cell
310-522-2317 office
In my garage:
2013 Rav4 EV Blue #2030 & 2014 Rav4 EV blue #3473
2012 Prius PlugIn
My son is a USMC Sergeant & am SO proud of him!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:42 am 

Just closed the deal and our Rav4 is being shipped to Illinois this weekend! We happen to have a 50A breaker and a Nema 10-50 in our garage. The previous tenants owned a kiln. We are not sure what charger to get because we are in this home temporarily. It seems we should go with the Jesla. But still looking for a cheaper option.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:26 am 

I have one for sale on eBay. It's a dual voltage, adjustable amperage, portable evse for only $560. I'm not looking to get rich. I just wanted to put it up for sale to benefit the community. I can always build myself another one.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1395725014

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

Last edited by jimbo69ny on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next