Buying a Rav4 EV unseen, out of state.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorC

Hi,
I am considering buying a California Rav4 EV out of state. As a frequent user of the mynissanleaf and elbilforum I hope to get some help from this forum.

I have done most of my homework, but need some advice.

I am looking on Rav4 in Tracy, CA for about $ 15K. It seems like a good deal, but I am worried that it might be too good of a deal.

Since I am out of state I can not inspect the car myself, but have got a qoute for an inspection for about $ 400, and it is only a testdrive and a visual inspection!

Can anyone recommed a "inspector" that does not charge $400? Or, are willing to do a testdrive and a visual inspection for a fee?

Have been driving a 1.gen Leaf (2011) for a few years now in Norway and I need a bit more range, and I need a bit more space. I have increased the range of my Leaf with cable harness to turn off the heat, and even added a axullirary heater, but it is still not enough. And my range is decreasing.

Best regards,

Tor C.

I would be happy to check for free, however Tracy, California is about 500 miles away! We did have one guy look at that car... I will email him.

We have 4 or 5 Toyota Rav4 EVs with our JdeMO kit in Norway right now. With JdeMO, you would be able to use the oodles of CHAdeMO charging stations throughout the world, charging the Rav4 EV from 20% to 80% in about 30 minutes.

If you want us to install it, that would be cheaper and easier to have done here in California prior to shipping to Norway.

If you buy JdeMO, I will personally inspect the car and then install your unit.

I did just talk to James at Tracy Honda +1-888-575-9337 about this car:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/686953490/overview/

2013 Toyota RAV 4 EV
VIN # 2005

James Herren
Sales Director
Tracy Honda/Mazda
+1-877-348-5657 talk
+1-209-814-8822 text
3450 Auto Plaza Way
Tracy, CA 95304

Read more at https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mkId=20088&AmbMkId=20088&AmbMkNm=Toyota&make=Toyota&AmbMdId=50903&AmbMdNm=RAV4%20EV&model=RAV4%20EV&mdId=50903&prMx=20000&rd=500&zc=94536&searchSource=QUICK_FORM#ozJbS6y1gvTKxWkm.99

That car has 55k miles, which is over 88,500km. If I was going to the trouble to ship a car to Norway, I would get one with fewer miles. There are a number of 2012's with only 30k miles for $18k or $19k. I would buy one of those unless you have a very strong preference for the Blue color. I would understand that since I went to some great lengths to get a Blue one when I bought it new. The calendar age matters less and the model year means absolutely nothing. I would buy the lower mileage one and have the JdeMO fitted before shipping to Norway.

My car was just repaired for front end damage and I was worried that the insurance company was going to write it off. If I had to buy a replacement, I would buy the Silver one from Toyota Palo Alto. My office is very close to that dealer, so I'd be happy to give it a thorough inspection for you.

TonyWilliams said:
I would be happy to check for free, however Tracy, California is about 500 miles away! We did have one guy look at that car... I will email him.

We have 4 or 5 Toyota Rav4 EVs with our JdeMO kit in Norway right now. With JdeMO, you would be able to use the oodles of CHAdeMO charging stations throughout the world, charging the Rav4 EV from 20% to 80% in about 30 minutes.

If you want us to install it, that would be cheaper and easier to have done here in California prior to shipping to Norway.

If you buy JdeMO, I will personally inspect the car and then install your unit.

Thanks for your very kind offer, and your effort to contact the seller in Tracy. After reading the reply made by "miimura" I have got some serious doubts about this car. I have also talked to one of the sellers there, and I am not really impressed. "Charging cable? What charging cable? This vehicle does not include a charger. Oh THAT charging cable. Yes, that is on 115 kW".....

I did not know that you were the one behind Jdemo. Kudos to you my friend! I have heard about Jdemo for years and have been impressed that you were able to make the Jdemo when the potential marked is so little.

I really want the Jdemo, but "old" electric cars are depreciating in value very fast, and I only travel more than 80-90 miles once or twice a year in a car. And here in Norway there are a lot of 11 or 22 kW mode2 "outlets". The one or two trips I do make annualy is usually about 280 miles and with Jdemo I would spend in total close to an hour at a QC in total. With 10 kW on a RAV4 I would need about 5 hours in total. So I would save about 4-8 hours annually. If I depreciate the Jdemo over 5 years it will cost me $ 660 per year, and between $ 82,50 to $165 per hour saved. Even if I factor in the value of my appriciation of your innovation in cash, and even a possible tax exemption, the $ per hour saved is above my hourly wage. And with a few friends with the new Bolt-EV or Renault Zoe 400, it is not hard to swap cars for a few days. I need to consider these facts, and also how this effects the price when I sell the vehicle. 2 years ago this would be a "no brainer", but now, I am not to sure. If you have a lot of these kits avaliable and are not able to sell them then my "value of appriciation" is higher, and I want to contribute so that you do not loose money.

miimura said:
That car has 55k miles, which is over 88,500km. If I was going to the trouble to ship a car to Norway, I would get one with fewer miles. There are a number of 2012's with only 30k miles for $18k or $19k. I would buy one of those unless you have a very strong preference for the Blue color. I would understand that since I went to some great lengths to get a Blue one when I bought it new. The calendar age matters less and the model year means absolutely nothing. I would buy the lower mileage one and have the JdeMO fitted before shipping to Norway.

My car was just repaired for front end damage and I was worried that the insurance company was going to write it off. If I had to buy a replacement, I would buy the Silver one from Toyota Palo Alto. My office is very close to that dealer, so I'd be happy to give it a thorough inspection for you.

Blue is actually my strong preference... but I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars just to get a blue car.

And after doing some calculations I belive that you are correct. Lower milage is worth more than I assumed.

The one in Magnussens Palo Alto was actually one of the vehicles I was interssted in but it was quite far from any shipping port. However after getting som quotes from shipping agents it seems like it is not as expensive as I have thought.

If you could do a test drive on this car I would be very happy, and I will of course pay you for the time you have spent, and any cost you may have had.

TorC said:
I really want the Jdemo, but "old" electric cars are depreciating in value very fast, and I only travel more than 80-90 miles once or twice a year in a car. And here in Norway there are a lot of 11 or 22 kW mode2 "outlets". The one or two trips I do make annualy is usually about 280 miles and with Jdemo I would spend in total close to an hour at a QC in total. With 10 kW on a RAV4 I would need about 5 hours in total. So I would save about 4-8 hours annually. If I depreciate the Jdemo over 5 years it will cost me $ 660 per year, and between $ 82,50 to $165 per hour saved. Even if I factor in the value of my appriciation of your innovation in cash, and even a possible tax exemption, the $ per hour saved is above my hourly wage. And with a few friends with the new Bolt-EV or Renault Zoe 400, it is not hard to swap cars for a few days. I need to consider these facts, and also how this effects the price when I sell the vehicle. 2 years ago this would be a "no brainer", but now, I am not to sure. If you have a lot of these kits avaliable and are not able to sell them then my "value of appriciation" is higher, and I want to contribute so that you do not loose money.
You need to understand the difference between the utility of 3-phase versus 1-phase. Those 11kW charging points in Norway are 16 amps 3-phase. Since the RAV4 EV is only single phase, you will only get 3.7kW (230V * 16A) using one of those. The 22kW stations are 32 amps 3-phase and the RAV4 EV will only draw 7.4kW (230V * 32A). So, at best, in the summer, you will only add about 37km/hr on those 22kW stations. 11kW stations will be half that speed. So, travelling beyond the range of the car is very painful without JdeMO unless you can make use of charging stations at your destinations.

TorC said:
miimura said:

Blue is actually my strong preference... but I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars just to get a blue car.

And after doing some calculations I belive that you are correct. Lower milage is worth more than I assumed.

The one in Magnussens Palo Alto was actually one of the vehicles I was interssted in but it was quite far from any shipping port. However after getting som quotes from shipping agents it seems like it is not as expensive as I have thought.

If you could do a test drive on this car I would be very happy, and I will of course pay you for the time you have spent, and any cost you may have had.
I will set up an appointment with a salesperson to look at this car for you and give you the results privately so someone doesn't take the information from the forum and buy it before you can.

Back