Electric Motor Future Cost

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabroni420

Does anyone have any info or speculation regarding the electric motor replacement cost over time?
I have found a Rav4EV with a 5 year platinum extended warranty. I am still hesitant to purchase with the unknown cost of motor replacement after 5 years. Has Tesla sorted the issue out or plan to have a solid motor replacement or is the motor issue just never going to go away?

jabroni420 said:
Does anyone have any info or speculation regarding the electric motor replacement cost over time?
I have found a Rav4EV with a 5 year platinum extended warranty. I am still hesitant to purchase with the unknown cost of motor replacement after 5 years. Has Tesla sorted the issue out or plan to have a solid motor replacement or is the motor issue just never going to go away?

I would expect the motor to be $15,000.

I would also expect the bearings needed to repair the motor noise to be a few hundred dollars.

Right now the whole drive unit is one FRU - Field Replaceable Unit. When the cars are out of warranty, nobody is going to pay Toyota for this whole unit. There have been enough of these wrecked that there should be perfectly good drive units out there to be "harvested". After that, the ones that have a significant defect can be repaired or parted out. For example, one may have excessive gear wear while another may have a blown inverter. Between the two, you have one good complete drive unit. Somebody could have a viable business as the go-to supplier for these pulled-repaired-rebuilt EV parts. The same can be said for the DC/DC converter and on-board charger. Somebody who is willing and able to do component and board-level repair on those could make decent money fixing them. The key point in all of this is having the techinical competence to test it all out after repair so that there is confidence in the final product.

I personally believe that any drive unit that was replaced by Toyota after March 2016 should have had real technical fixes applied during the rebuild process so that it will not develop the noise that was common with the original production.

My drive unit replaced last month if much better but not silent.
Nothing like the quality of the LEAF gearbox.

Makes me leery of the Model 3. Very old technology Tesla just did not get right.

smkettner said:
My drive unit replaced last month if much better but not silent.
Nothing like the quality of the LEAF gearbox.

Makes me leery of the Model 3. Very old technology Tesla just did not get right.
The problem is that the RAV4 EV drive unit design was frozen before Model S was even in volume production. Tesla has learned a lot since then. I expect the Model 3 drive unit will be much more reliable than the RAV4 EV and the 2012 Model S.

Toyota RAV4 EV Traction motor assembly. Part number 0G1100-0R012-84. Cost directly from Toyota $6173.89. Comes with unlimited miles and 12 month warranty. Installation is extra ~$1100 (here in GA dealership)

I was not able to find this part number anywhere in a Wide Web, so I suppose it's Toyota's internal SKU.

QC Charge does complete maintenance and service on the unique Tesla equipment in your 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV, including motor sales, replacement, rebuilds, etc.

We have already worked on dozens of motors as cars come off warranty, but still have issues.

If you have a problem with your motor, onboard vehicle charger, cabin heater, gateway ECU computer, main traction battery, or DC to DC converter, give us a call.

We are the worldwide expert on the RAV4 EV, as well as the manufacturer of JdeMO for the RAV4 EV, allowing your car to charge at over 25,000 charge stations on 5 continents and over 100 countries in as little as 30-45 minutes.

Back