Platinum New Car Extended Warranty - how strict on date?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev_Bob

Greetings All,

Thinking about a 2014 (with less than 36K miles) just so I can get the 8 year Platinum warranty.

However, I have noticed the vast majority of them on the current market seem to have been purchased before 04/10/2014 or before...if going strictly by the must be purchased within 3 year rule - these would not be eligible for the 8 year warranty. Is Toyota down the the exact day the car was sold/titled? Or perhaps they offer some leeway - by the month?

Ev_Bob said:
Greetings All,

Thinking about a 2014 (with less than 36K miles) just so I can get the 8 year Platinum warranty.

However, I have noticed the vast majority of them on the current market seem to have been purchased before 04/10/2014 or before...if going strictly by the must be purchased within 3 year rule - these would not be eligible for the 8 year warranty. Is Toyota down the the exact day the car was sold/titled? Or perhaps they offer some leeway - by the month?
There is no leeway. One forum member had the policy cancelled and refunded after the fact by Toyota Financial. The dealer that sold it did not follow the rules. Toyota knows the in-service date of every VIN number.

You can buy the Used Car version of the same warranty. It is counted from the day of used purchase and terms are available up to 5 years and 60,000 miles. There may be some cap at the top end of the mileage. You also may be limited to buying the used car and the warranty in the same transaction from a Toyota dealer. However, some people have managed to buy the used car policy from a Toyota dealer separate from the used vehicle purchase. I would get a written offer for a fixed price and guarantee of sale if you are planning to buy the warranty separate from the car.

miimura said:
Ev_Bob said:
Greetings All,

There is no leeway. One forum member had the policy cancelled and refunded after the fact by Toyota Financial. The dealer that sold it did not follow the rules. Toyota knows the in-service date of every VIN number.

You can buy the Used Car version of the same warranty. It is counted from the day of used purchase and terms are available up to 5 years and 60,000 miles. There may be some cap at the top end of the mileage. You also may be limited to buying the used car and the warranty in the same transaction from a Toyota dealer. However, some people have managed to buy the used car policy from a Toyota dealer separate from the used vehicle purchase. I would get a written offer for a fixed price and guarantee of sale if you are planning to buy the warranty separate from the car.

I'm a member of that club.

I wanted to eliminate any element of doubt. So I called Toyota Motor Finance and asked them about it. I told them that my Rav4 was at 27k miles and over 3 years in service. The rep said that she didn't want to comment on that, and that it would be better to speak to the service manager at my local dealership. The dealership was happy to sell me a New Car Platinum Service Agreement. A couple of weeks later I got the letter and a booklet from Toyota Motor Finance welcoming me to the Platinum Service Agreement.

And then a week or two later I got this letter.

ExDX6Q6.jpg

Oh, but TMF didn't forget to charge me for the second installment on my Service Agreement. Gosh!

Back