Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How necessary is a warranty? (Anyone out there without o
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:05 pm 

KurtManz wrote:
I got a rav4ev from Paramount in seattle a month ago.
It took me about 2 weeks to get Toyota of Kirkland to sell me a used warranty ($2,250 +$130 inspection). it's the 5year/60K one.

I just had Toyota of Seattle perform the wiper recall (the seat belt and firmware 1.3.101 recalls had already been done before I bought the car). It took a while, but I received a quote of $3,200 + inspection fee for the 5/50k plan.

I think I'll reach out to Toyota of Kirkland today or tomorrow; I like ToS but not an extra grand's worth.

I believe you mentioned a name at ToK . . . is there a specific person I should begin with there?

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
1999 E300 on B100, Tourmaline Green
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:27 am 

Sorry, it was SuedeGopher who mentioned Susie. I've got to call her tomorrow.

SuedeGopher wrote:
Hi KurtManz - I spoke with a Susie at Kirkland yesterday on the topic of warranties and confirmed they would sell me a used car platinum warranty - she said they'd be happy to take my money :) Other local dealers may feel the same, I just called them up and asked for someone in finance.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 pm 

asavage wrote:
KurtManz wrote:
I got a rav4ev from Paramount in seattle a month ago.
It took me about 2 weeks to get Toyota of Kirkland to sell me a used warranty ($2,250 +$130 inspection). it's the 5year/60K one.

I just had Toyota of Seattle perform the wiper recall (the seat belt and firmware 1.3.101 recalls had already been done before I bought the car). It took a while, but I received a quote of $3,200 + inspection fee for the 5/50k plan.

I think I'll reach out to Toyota of Kirkland today or tomorrow; I like ToS but not an extra grand's worth.

I believe you mentioned a name at ToK . . . is there a specific person I should begin with there?

Alina is the finance manager at Kirkland. I had to talk to her before they would do it. I spoke with 3 different finance people before her and none of them knew what to do. I think if you talk to her and say that it's one of the EV RAV4s she may remember and it'll go faster for you.

It took a month for me to get the booklet after I did the paperwork at Kirkland.
Make sure to read the paperwork before signing it. Their "computer" generates templates that don't have the correct end date and millage. you have to get them to change it manually and initial it, that way you have a signed copy with the right dates/miles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:56 pm 

KurtManz wrote:
Alina is the finance manager at Kirkland. I had to talk to her before they would do it. I spoke with 3 different finance people before her and none of them knew what to do. I think if you talk to her and say that it's one of the EV RAV4s she may remember and it'll go faster for you.
I've left VMs for both Susie & Alina today; so far, no call-back :(
[edit: Susie called, she's looking up the "deal" you got, and having Service call me to schedule the inspection.]
[edit: Susie quoted $2525 for mine, because yours had 27k miles and mine is 50k. Sarah @ Service will call me with inspection fee, expected to be ~ one hour @ $120/hr.]

KurtManz wrote:
It took a month for me to get the booklet after I did the paperwork at Kirkland.
Make sure to read the paperwork before signing it. Their "computer" generates templates that don't have the correct end date and millage. you have to get them to change it manually and initial it, that way you have a signed copy with the right dates/miles.
I recall your earlier telling of this tale, and I appreciate the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:33 am 

I bought the Platinum used car warranty, zero deductible, 5 year/60k miles (good 'till Sep2022/110,641 mi. for mine) for $2,525 (2,778 after tax) + used car inspection fee $120 (135 after tax) = $2,913 out the door.

The inspection found a leaking right axle seal at the DU. I'm expecting to have the DU replaced for noise soon, so no worry. It was nice that they had a digital picture available of the leak, nice touch.

They found the front wipers bad (I already have OEM replacements, I've just been waiting for rain here -- we've had a very dry summer), cabin filter dirty (I have one on order), parking brake needs adjustment (boy, does it ever. It does not hold well on the hills I park), and rear tires. Not a bad list.

Since I have the earlier Denso heater, I really wanted that covered, so I'm happy-ish.

Thanks, Karl, for your info.
(Susie did the paperwork but was out of office at the time of my visit; Cecil completed the paperwork. We did have to hand-write in the date and mileage of expiration, but I think that's because the contract was prepped by Susie before I arrived.)

I was told about one to 1.5 hours for the inspection. I was in at 9:30 and left just before noon; considering it's a dealer and I've almost never had good time predictions from a dealer, that's actually pretty good. I had vowed not to raise a fuss until noon, and they beat that target.

Last edited by asavage on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:19 pm 

asavage wrote:
I bought the Platinum used car warranty, zero deductible, 5 year/60k miles (god 'till Sep2022/110,641 mi. for mine) for $2,525 (2,778 after tax) + used car inspection fee $120 (135 after tax) = $2,913 out the door.

Thanks for the detailed report on getting a used car warranty. I hope that these are still available in 3 - 5 years time when the 2012-2014 Platinum extended 8 year warranties expire. Something tells me that Toyota may have learned by then that our cars have frequent expensive failures which could impact the pricing and availability of used car warranties for us.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:10 am 

just for completeness and accuracy's sake - FYI I did end up purchasing a rav4ev, 50k on it, with the extended used car platinum warranty, and am glad I did. THe heater went out after about 3 months - toyota took care of it - set up a date to bring in the car, gave me a free rental for a week (toyota sienna, which i requested and which worked out splendidly because I had 3 visitors frim oversees plus me, wife and 2 kids so for that week we were able to all move around in one vehicle), got it back - everything is working splendidly. I saw the bill, i forget exaclty what it said the cost would have been but it was i know it was well over the $2K I negotiated for the warranty!