Totaled RAV4 EV, what to do...

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

My beloved 2013 RAV4 EV was rear ended last week and declared a total loss by the insurance adjuster. I have the option to buy it back for a little more than a third of the market value. The rear door/trunk still opens fine, so really just needs a new door and bumper(support bar, skin, etc). No suspension damage and the car still drives fine. Some damage to front bumper, but not too bad. 27k miles, no extended warranty.

I really love this car but don't have an extended warranty so its risky to keep, and obviously it will have a salvage title. I have a Model 3 reservation that I hope will convert towards the end of this year or early next year, depending on how production goes. I only need one car, so I will need to get rid of the RAV at some point, and this seems like a good opportunity. But I do need a car until then. Trying to decide what to do. Any thoughts?

IMG_20170602_154242.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rovf9r32bh6cqcl/IMG_20170602_154242.jpg?dl=0

Aki said:
My beloved 2013 RAV4 EV was rear ended last week and declared a total loss by the insurance adjuster. I have the option to buy it back for a little more than a third of the market value. The rear door/trunk still opens fine, so really just needs a new door and bumper(support bar, skin, etc). No suspension damage and the car still drives fine. Some damage to front bumper, but not too bad. 27k miles, no extended warranty.

I really love this car but don't have an extended warranty so its risky to keep, and obviously it will have a salvage title. I have a Model 3 reservation that I hope will convert towards the end of this year or early next year, depending on how production goes. I only need one car, so I will need to get rid of the RAV at some point, and this seems like a good opportunity. But I do need a car until then. Trying to decide what to do. Any thoughts?

IMG_20170602_154242.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rovf9r32bh6cqcl/IMG_20170602_154242.jpg?dl=0
How much do you want for it? Where are you located?

Buy it!!!! I can't believe the insurance company totaled it?! The rear window, tail lights...nothings broken. Take it to a body shop and tell them you want a new rear door and bumper cover. Have them paint both before putting them on the Rav. Be sure to scrape off the old car pool stickers and mail them back to the DMV.

If this were my Rav4, I would buy a gasser Rav4 with the Softex interior and a moonroof. Then I'd transplant all the EV goodness onto my new Rav4. Then I would transplant all the gasser parts onto my bashed up Rav4 body and sell it for whatever price it can fetch.

My insurance company paid more than $12k to fix my RAV4 EV earlier this year. That does not look like more than $10k in repair. However, fixing the rear quarter panel is a big deal, so if that is significantly bent, I could be wrong.

Do you own it or are you still leasing? Do you still owe payments on it? Has your insurance company made a settlement offer yet? I'm curious how much they are going to give you for totaling it, ie. their assessment of fair market value less deductible.

I'm in SF. If I do buy back, I wouldn't want to sell it for another 6 months or so, so can't give you a price now.

I got a quote for $5200 from a local body shop for rear door and bumper replacement. Parts are about $2k, the rest is labor.
Also found a bumper assembly and rear door from a gas RAV4 sport, except no rear camera and the car has fender flares. From what I can tell, only the sport version has no spare tire, but also has fender flares. So looks like I need a rear door from the sport version, but rear bumper from a regular version. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm tempted to just buy the parts, get them painted and replace them myself. I'm really not too concerned with looks and the job seems pretty straightforward, but I could be wrong...

I don't see any damage to the rear quarter panel. I have a loan to buy the car, no lease. Market value is about $19k.

Also, does anyone know if Toyota will sell me a used car warranty on a Salvaged title? I'm guessing no?

I had worse damage and it mine was not totaled.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209542646147488&set=a.10201105826512270.1073741825.1367175476&type=3&theater

I would buy it or let someone here buy it from you...

So I've spoken with both my and the other party's insurance adjusters. Looks like there's no way their repair estimates will be below salvage price(<80% market value). They say damage to the floor pan is the most expensive part of the repair. In addition, a salvage title voids the power train and battery warranties, so I won't be buying back the vehicle.

I don't think anyone will be interested- but just in case- the buyback price is $6688. If anyone wants to work out some way to buy it before insurance pays it off and auctions it to a junk yard, let me know ASAP.

I'd love to buy another RAV, but it just doesn't make financial sense for me to buy one and have to sell it in 6-12 months. So it looks like i'll be taking over a Leaf lease until my Model 3 arrives.

Akio

Aki said:
So I've spoken with both my and the other party's insurance adjusters. Looks like there's no way their repair estimates will be below salvage price(<80% market value). They say damage to the floor pan is the most expensive part of the repair. In addition, a salvage title voids the power train and battery warranties, so I won't be buying back the vehicle.

I don't think anyone will be interested- but just in case- the buyback price is $6688. If anyone wants to work out some way to buy it before insurance pays it off and auctions it to a junk yard, let me know ASAP.

I'd love to buy another RAV, but it just doesn't make financial sense for me to buy one and have to sell it in 6-12 months. So it looks like i'll be taking over a Leaf lease until my Model 3 arrives.

Akio
Someone who is up for an ambitious project might like to salvage the EV gear to retrofit another car. $6688 is a pretty good price, knowing that many DIY EV builders spend up to $20k just for the parts.

That project will remain only in my daydreams, for now.

Back