New limitation on Platinum Warranty for in-warranty vehicles

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlyr

Looking to buy a 2014 RAV 4 EV still under factory warranty from private party but local Toyota dealer says they can only sell a "new" Platinum warranty for 6 yr/72K because the vehicle is not certified pre-owned. They say that is the "max Toyota Financial" will do on a "non-CPO" still under warranty.

Anyone ever heard of this limitation before? I really wanted the 8 yr/125K warranty.....but most of the vehicles in my area aren't with Toyota dealers so aren't CPO.

There are two main types of Toyota Platinum Warranties. One for "New Cars" and one for "Used Cars". You can buy the New Car warranty as long as it is still covered by the 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. That is available for up to 10 years and 125,000 miles from the initial in-service date (new lease or purchase).

The Used Car warranty is available for cars outside the bumper to bumper warranty. The maximum term for those is 5 years and 60,000 miles from policy purchase. There are also differences in the Used Car warranty for Certified and Non-Certified used cars. In addition, the Toyota Financial web site talks about the Used Car warranty only being available for simultaneous purchase with the used vehicle from a Toyota dealer. This has been shown to be untrue by many RAV4 EV owners. Some dealers will require a vehicle inspection to sell the Used Car warranty, some don't.

Thanks miimura! The car was under the original 3 yr/36K factory warranty but my guess is this specific Toyota dealership simply didn't want to offer the 8yr/125K Platinum for the EV even though it was for sale at their dealership.

No biggie...I went with Steve at Toyota of Poway and he was happy to help!

Back