Buying a RAV in Canada

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeGoerzen

Hey everyone - new to the forum although I've been lurking and researching for awhile.

I live in the Vancouver area, and some of the local dealerships have imported some 2013 and 2014 Rav's to sell. I test drove one and loved it. I'm ready to make a deal, but the worry of repairs is haunting me.

I've heard that Toyota has roving technicians that would be able to deal with major problems. Does that extend in to Canada? If I have to ship the car to California for repairs, that would kind of be a deal breaker!

TIA.

It would be worth talking to a couple of the local dealers in Vancouver to see what they say.
As a minimum, you could bring it down to Seattle for service. At this point Toyota of Seattle and Toyota of Kirkland are willing to do service work on the Rav4 EVs.
As you can see from this forum, it takes some patience but it has been working out.

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and just purchased a 2014 RAV4 EV that is now located in Alberta, Canada. Wanted to thank all the members that have contributed to this wonderful forum as it sure has helped me understand the RAV4 EV. I was able to purchase the extended warranty with days to spare thanks to the information provided on this forum. I also had to store the vehicle for over two weeks without electricity as I awaited paper work. Again I turned to this forum to find out that things would be fine by just disconnecting the 12 volt battery. It worked perfect :) . I plan to give back with a new post for other Canadians on how to modify the DRL's to turn on when in the off switch. This is mandatory in Canada. I did this myself at a total cost of zero dollars. Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Hi there. Also new to this forum here. I'm from Vancouver BC. I have been shopping for a EV.

Currently I'm driving a 2007 FWD Rav4 and looking into moving to the 2014 Rav4.

So far I found 3 stocks in Vancouver area.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/d/rare-2014-toyota-rav4-ev/6344155084.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/d/2014-toyota-rav4-fully/6365801727.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/d/2014-toyota-rav4-fully/6362648999.html

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

snipershrimp said:
Hi there. Also new to this forum here. I'm from Vancouver BC. I have been shopping for a EV.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/d/rare-2014-toyota-rav4-ev/6344155084.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/d/2014-toyota-rav4-fully/6365801727.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/d/2014-toyota-rav4-fully/6362648999.html

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

I would say that there's room for negotiation, but it appears that you get to pick your color. The only thing different between the cars is the four colors; pearl white, fleet white, blue and silver. All cars came with "optional" floor mats.

Anyhoo, if you like one, I'd probably buy any of them if they are clean. You just need to go through the list of known issues with the vehicle prior to sale.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20079#p20079

Prior to purchase or delivery:

1. RECALLS - check that all recalls have been done

**** Firmware 1.3.101 (US Government recall)
**** Wiper motor (all Rav4s)
**** Seat belts (all Rav4s)

2. FOBs / KEYs - make sure the both the mechanical keys work, as well as both fobs (very common problem)

3. 12 VOLT BATTERY - Change the 12 volt battery if it is the original black top Toyota one. They aren't known to last more than 3 years. If you let the 12 volt battery fail, it can cause all kinds of issues for the car. I recommend a Bosch AGM battery, Group 24F, 60 amp/hour

4. OWNERS MANUAL - you'll want this, if you aren't familiar with the car

5. CHARGING CABLE - the original is a 120 volt / 12 amp unit with a blue plug handle

6. ADJUSTMENTS TO SETTINGS
a. Adjust door unlock remote to open all doors with 1 press; only auto-lock when in drive
b. Adjust car reverse tone to single beep
c. Adjust seat belt reminder chime to only chime once

7. CABIN HEATER - turn the heater to full blast and feel heat come out. This is a $2500 - $6000 repair, which is why you want a warranty. (Frequently fails)

8. AIR CONDITIONING - turn on air conditioning and feel cold air (this rarely fails)

9. TIRES - Check tire wear (the original Yokohamas wear out at 30-40k miles)

10. BRAKES - check brake wear (rarely much wear)

11. DAMAGE - look for obvious damage BELOW the car (ran over curb and damaged battery case, etc)

12. CHARGING - plug it into a J1772 charge station and watch it charge

13. MOTOR NOISE - listen for motor noise (frequently replaced free of charge with 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, or Platinum Extended Warranty... could be $10,000 to $15,000 otherwise)

14. CENTER INFO-TAINMENT SCREEN - make sure center navigation screen works ($4000 to replace when not in warranty)

15. BATTERY CAPACITY - Check the high voltage "traction" battery capacity http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1625

That's about it. It's not likely that MOST Toyota dealers are going to know the car very well, or even care to do so. Use your own due diligence and don't rely on others to check these things.

snipershrimp said:

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

Hi snipershrimp,

Just to add to Tony's list from the Canadian perspective.

1) Verify any vehicle in Canada have passed the RIV federal inspection. Should have a sticker in the driver door jam. If this has not been done, do not purchase until they have completed it.

2) You also should ask if the provincial inspection has been done. If not, this you could do but it will cost you a couple hundred.

3) You also want to check if PST has been paid when imported as Canada customs only collects the GST. PST is paid at the registry in BC.

Side notes:
I just imported one into Alberta a few weeks ago. You can get a better price ($3-6K less CDN all in) and more selection in the US if you go through the import process. It really was not that difficult as the vehicle was built in Canada. It just takes more time etc. Take a couple of those RAV's in Vancouver for a test drive. Follow the steps Tony has laid out. Make sure to ask for the history (Carfax).
Be prepared to have to go the extra mile for repairs. I have no regrets (yet) :)

I have a Tesla Model 3 coming and am not ready to go all electric so I am considering selling my Rav4 EV.
46,000 miles in good shape.
Maybe we should talk?

SeattleRav4 said:
I have a Tesla Model 3 coming and am not ready to go all electric so I am considering selling my Rav4 EV.
46,000 miles in good shape.
Maybe we should talk?
What is the asking price?

I will have to get some comparable listings to see what is reasonable.
A quick look online shows the dealers in Seattle are asking $19K to $22K.
The Model 3 deliveries have slipped so I am not too excited to let it go yet.

If you or anyone is interested I have a 2012 - Pearl White - 128,100 miles, JdeMO, new motor with all Tesla updates, non-smoker, second owner - asking $18,500

Edit: SOLD

First post to the forum! I feel a bit voyeur like as I've actually been secretly reading posts since early January and the discussions have been extremely helpful. Thanks to all who dedicate time and energy to these listings.

I wasn't sure where (under which subject) to post but I finally purchased a 2014 in February out of Seattle. I imported to Canada (I live in Victoria, British Columbia). Was able to make sure all the vehicle inspection or points listed on this site were checked off and found that my EV had just had its motor replaced.

At time of purchase - I can say I was fully informed about the risks - and that I'd have to go to Seattle for any service work. Of course, blinded by enthusiasm, I dove head first into the purchase. I love the car......however this isn't the reason for my post :)

A few weeks back, my wife was introduced to the 'shift to neutral' feature that seems to display itself in some vehicles. I drove it the rest of the way home that day (we happened to be following each other) and didn't notice anything. Next day, I got to experience it myself. So, I've begun the process of seeking repair and thought that maybe some others in Canada might like to be aware of the path that is being forged (fortunately or unfortunately by me). I called my local Toyota dealer to see whether they would run diagnostic codes for me - they refused saying they are not trained in this vehicle. I explained (because of my knowledge gained from this site) that they could at least run the codes. They refused again, so I took it to my regular CEV garage - who was quite happy to run the codes from the Toyota side. Here's what they can up with:

EV ECU - Current (and history) Codes
P170F | Undocumented Code
P312F | Electric Propulsion Control Module Requested MIL Illumination
U1146 | Lost Communication with Electric Propulsion Control System Gateway

Navigation System - History codes:
B1585 | USB device Malfunction

PM1 Gateway - History Codes:
U0146 | Lost Communication with Gateway "A"

My Mechanic tried the Tesla plug but he said it wouldn't 'light up his scanner'.

So, I've followed up with Toyota Motor Sales (with the codes) and they asked that I begin through seeing whether Toyota Canada would get involved. As concerned as they were for the dangers the Neutral shifting was, they provided and official response to me:

We appreciate you reporting this to us. Your RAV4 EV is not supported for service at Canadian Dealers. Please contact TMS for assistance on this matter.

So, Last weekend I towed it to Port Angeles to what so far seems like a very helpful Toyota service department and they have done and initial inspection (same codes) but require the roaming technician to come do the Tesla readings. That should occur sometime next week. Still hopeful that this service department can do the actual fixes, once determined and that I don't have to get it towed into Seattle for repairs.

Anyways... because I've seen about five Rav4 EVs on Vancouver Island that this might be helpful info. Will post an update once I know more.

New to the forum!!

I purchased a 2014 Rav4 EV in the summer. I live in the Vancouver area. Has any other RavEV in the area found a place to change their battery coolant at the 80k Km recommended interval? I calculated I have about 6 months of driving until I’m in need of the fluid exchange.

It looks like the last person was going to have their vehicle looked at, at the port angeles Toyota by a roaming tech. I’m wondering if the same roaming tech would be available in Bellingham?

Does this vehicle have the most current firmware? Tesla 1.3.101 ???

When was it imported to the Great White North? There is a US Government recall for the "shifting into neutral" while driving, and that was a function of a bad speed sensor. They fixed it with software.

Not sure about the firmware update.I think it would have been done, I purchased the vehicle in the summer and they said it had no active recalls on it.

Back