Used 2012 with 120k miles?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjim

I am considering buying a local 2012 rav4. It has 120,000 miles original batteries, still tests 85-90% of original capacity. What do you think it is worth? Is it worth buying or is it past its life expectancy? I have a 1981 VW Rabbit pickup conversion but it only has a 20 mile range.

Hi Jim it's Airton :)
That's my Rav4 EV everyone that I'm selling (planing on purchasing the Bolt EV LT before the end of the year)
so it's at 121k now mostly highway miles for visiting family in Delaware and driving Uber/Lyft part time.
The car has been well maintained by myself and Toyota of Morristown, NJ.
The Drive Unit has been replaced twice and they put a good one in there the second time around still silent with over 80k on it.
The "Tony Test" was performed at 100k miles and came back at 92.4%
New Shocks and struts, 12volt replaced with the blue Bosh AGM and most importantly it's JdeMO equipped by Tony Williams himself who made that epic install trip across the US in his Tesla Model S
I am asking $10,500 for the car if I can not get that then I will keep it, it's solid.

jerseyjim said:
I am considering buying a local 2012 rav4. It has 120,000 miles original batteries, still tests 85-90% of original capacity. What do you think it is worth? Is it worth buying or is it past its life expectancy? I have a 1981 VW Rabbit pickup conversion but it only has a 20 mile range.

With 120k miles, it means you are buying a warranty-less car. So, ask yourself, what is th potential out of pocket cost, should a Tesla component go bad ? Even if you consider on the low end, you may be stuck paying $5k to $10k out of pocket, then I would add that to the asking price, and then reduce about $2500 for the Chademo that is installed ... So, $10,500 + $8000 = $18,500 (minus CHADMO $2500) = $16,000 as true cost of ownership... Is the car worth $16,500 to you ? (that would be your decision)

I'm on my second motor, and it is starting to make noise again after 25k miles, so potential for issues is high.

But then consider that you also have a 40KW battery pack, a desired motor and controller that you can probably sell, if you run into issues, and don't want to fix. I'm personally going to drive the car into the ground and then replace the lead acid batteries for my hybrid solar setup at home with the cells out of the car, and then part it out on ebay .

Would I buy the care again? Absolutely ... It's the best car that I have ever owned ... Good Luck ....

Good price for the options. Not sure how the car sounds but mine with almost 90k miles still sounds and drives brand new. No rattles, loose plastic pieces, and everything looks new, and well cared for. I could steam clean the seats for a couple spots but still good overall.

With 89-92% capacity and JdeMo the car should be solid for several more years. Good luck in both the sale and potential purchase.

Back