Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Used RAV4 EVs in NY state
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 pm 

Hi everyone,
I just signed up here. I am currently 5 years into leasing a Honda FIT EV, which I love, except for the drastic range drop in our cold northeast winters. Today I took our Prius to the local Toyota dealer (Middletown NY) for service and was stunned to see 3 RAV4 EVs for sale, from 27 to 37K miles, all at $20,987. Am I nuts to think this is an insanely good deal?

I am a knowledgeable EV driver and I have been reading the threads here so am aware of the technical issues that have come up with the RAV4. Obviously I am concerned about service and warranty here on the east coast and will certainly ask a lot of questions of the dealer. My preference would be to lease.

Does anyone know why they would ship 3 back east?

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Much obliged,
Drew

Post subject: Re: Used RAV4 EVs in NY state
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm 

The price seems higher than what I have hear. I would expect $15 - $18k. I'm sure the sales staff will tell you that there will not be any issues for service or warranty, but it is possible you will find out otherwise later. Does the price include a Toyota used car warranty? If so then it might be worthwhile otherwise I would look around and compare prices. Jimbo69 will likely comment about service in your area, I believe he is or was in the NY area.

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm 

For that price, I would definitely have them include the 5 year 60,000 mile Toyota Used Car Platinum Service Agreement.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:57 am 

Yup, Im still here. I live in Ithaca. There is another one in Webster.

We both shipped ours from California new from dealers. Shipping cost around $1500. You can buy used ones out west for around $16k right now. I would recommend doing that then shipping it here. I am considering doing the same so I can get my wife one too. Maybe we could get a deal on shipping if we are sending 2 cars.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 am 

Thanks for the info! Well, it looks like one sold; they appear to be down to 2 now. My Fit EV lease runs until July so I'm not in a rush. I'm going to go to the dealer this weekend and get more details. I'll see how firm they are on the price.

Drew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:22 pm 

One other question: what's the lowest winter range you've seen? My commute is 35 miles and there are two level 2 chargers there. We see temps in the 20s regularly and it occasionally goes to single digits.

Drew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 pm 

dtomko wrote:
One other question: what's the lowest winter range you've seen? My commute is 35 miles and there are two level 2 chargers there. We see temps in the 20s regularly and it occasionally goes to single digits.

Drew

I haven’t really pushed it before. I usually plug in every night so I don’t really track it. I am guessing that I get between 50-60 miles when it is below 30 degrees.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:18 pm 

dtomko wrote:

Drew

Hi Drew,

On the cold weather question... I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so my poor RAV4 EV drives in some of the coldest weather around. I am sure it misses warm California 8-) but a few weeks back I was driving at (-32C /-22F) and it really worked well. The heater and seat warmers are better than my Model S but the RAV does use lots of energy. At such cold temperatures you can safely go 80 Km or 50 Miles on the highway with a little range to spare. So to answer your question, you can totally drive the 35 miles to work but you will need to charge for two or three hours at your work on a 30 Amp or higher level 2 charger in very cold weather. Most days of the year you will be totally fine doing the trip without a top up. Hope this helps.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 am 

Thanks, it sounds like the cold would not that big an issue for me.
Well, I went to the dealer today. I drove one of them, but it was so low in charge that it was in turtle mode. It is a beautiful vehicle.
The salesman told me the dealer got 5 of them; they are using 2, and they sold one this week, so 2 left for sale. Toyota offered to ship the 5 free from CA, so the dealer took them. Salesman was clueless about warranties and told me that $20,987 was not negotiable. They seem content to wait since they know no other dealers anywhere near here will get any. They do have an EV trained tech.
So I'm not in a rush since I have the Fit EV until July. If the price comes down, I might be interested.
Drew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm 

dtomko wrote:
Thanks, it sounds like the cold would not that big an issue for me.
Well, I went to the dealer today. I drove one of them, but it was so low in charge that it was in turtle mode. It is a beautiful vehicle.
The salesman told me the dealer got 5 of them; they are using 2, and they sold one this week, so 2 left for sale. Toyota offered to ship the 5 free from CA, so the dealer took them. Salesman was clueless about warranties and told me that $20,987 was not negotiable. They seem content to wait since they know no other dealers anywhere near here will get any. They do have an EV trained tech.
So I'm not in a rush since I have the Fit EV until July. If the price comes down, I might be interested.
Drew

That sounds way too expensive. You could buy one and have it shipped to you for much less.

The lowest range levels I have personally seen on the GOM (Guess o meter) with the heat on have been about 50 miles. I'm in Webster Ny so we are probably the same or colder than you on average. I will also say that I have always beaten the GOM range by at least 10% and sometimes as much as a factor of 2. Last week I did a 40 mile round trip at 30 degrees and averaged 3 miles/kwh....which means I could go about 100 miles without going into extended mode.

The Rav4EV is a unique car. You'll be part of a 2600 car beta test. For me personally, using it is about being the change I hope to see in the world instead of just putting some stupid sticker on my gas car that means nothing.