buy a used RAV4 EV or wait?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishida

Greetings...
I'm looking to get an electric SUV to upgrade my LA commute (40mi round trip), from my current 04 Prius. I love Toyotas but read an article about Volvo's XC40 coming out w/an all electric option later this year, so now I'm torn. Do I go with something affordable and reliable right now, or wait to lease the new tech. OR wait till the Volvo comes out to buy a RAV4 EV used??

Would love to hear from long-time EV drivers on here. Anyone have an insane amount of miles and still happy? My Prius is at 280k and still going strong, just wondering if this cars similar.

bishida said:
Greetings...
I'm looking to get an electric SUV to upgrade my LA commute (40mi round trip), from my current 04 Prius. I love Toyotas but read an article about Volvo's XC40 coming out w/an all electric option later this year, so now I'm torn. Do I go with something affordable and reliable right now, or wait to lease the new tech. OR wait till the Volvo comes out to buy a RAV4 EV used??

Would love to hear from long-time EV drivers on here. Anyone have an insane amount of miles and still happy? My Prius is at 280k and still going strong, just wondering if this cars similar.
I am an original owner of a 2012 RAV4 EV. I have not had any significant failures in my car but I did have the drive motor replaced under the factory warranty because it was getting noisy. However, you should know that statistically the RAV4 EV is not as reliable as a Prius. There are a couple of things like the electric cabin heater that have a failure rate much higher than normal for major automotive parts. For this reason, I purchased the Toyota Platinum extended warranty. I currently have just under 60,000 miles on my car and the warranty is good until 8 years and 100,000 miles. If you need the peace of mind that you won't hit a major repair expense, then you should buy one with a Toyota Platinum warranty, either transferable from the previous owner or purchased with the car. Do not buy a third party warranty, only the Toyota Platinum one.

One thing you should know is that the RAV4 EV prices have stabilized, partly because there is an export market for them in countries like Norway and Jordan that have significant incentives for operating EVs.

Also, there will be many more SUV style EVs coming out soon. Not only the XC-40 EV but the Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV, Audi e-Tron, Mercedes EQ-C, and of course, the Jaguar iPace is already available. However, comparing a new car to a used car like the RAV4 EV is not really a good comparison because many of the cars I listed will be much more expensive than a used RAV4 EV. Also, some of the more affordable choices in my list are smaller than the RAV4 EV and have more limited cargo space. Coming from a Prius, if you think the XC-40 EV will be in your price range, you should test drive a Tesla Model 3. By the time the XC-40 is available, the standard range Model 3 should also be available.

I love the car! So much so that my wife and I both have one. They have both been extremely reliable. Great car with lots of room inside.

I would buy something else. Poor support and very high cost of repairs if something does happen.
Traded mine for an I-Pace end of 2018 and could not be happier. Heater had quit and trans was starting to make noise again. Range was marginal for my needs.
Battery capacity did hold up very well.

Thanks for giving me something to chew on! Do the ppl on here still w/an EV think they’ll run the car into the ground? Or just get tired of replacing he heating unit (what’s the cost?)?

For commuting, I would get a Nissan LEAF.

They are cheap and reliable.

If you need the car for more than transporting yourself from point A to B, then perhaps consider what the RAV4 EV has to offer.

The LEAF can be purchased far cheaper than any RAV4 EV.

bishida said:
Thanks for giving me something to chew on! Do the ppl on here still w/an EV think they’ll run the car into the ground? Or just get tired of replacing he heating unit (what’s the cost?)?
In the past, I have typically kept my ICE cars 10-13 years. I will probably do the same with the RAV and the Model 3. Before the Model 3 we had a 2015 e-Golf on 3 year lease. That is the first time I've ever leased a car. It was a short term hold-over because our previous ICE car was at 130k and the repair expenses were going to exceed the lease cost of the e-Golf. At the time there was no other EV that I thought was worth buying for the long term.

bishida said:
Or just get tired of replacing he heating unit (what’s the cost?)?
Through Toyota I believe the heater module is close to $3,000.
QuickChargePower says $2,500. https://shop.quickchargepower.com/S...12-2014-REPAIR-CABIN-HEATER-RAV4HTRREPAIR.htm

Many reports of heater failure also takes out the DC-DC converter and could double the price. My converter survived and so I could drive the car for the last 18 months before trading it in.

Any drive unit issues repaired through Toyota require a full replacement at close to $13,000. Mine was replaced once under warranty but after another 30,000 miles was starting to make noise again.
Drive unit bearings can also be replaced by QCP for $3,000.

Also my gateway computer failed under warranty. It was over 6 months to diagnose with intermittent trouble. Complete failure still required another 4 tows to the dealer before it was replaced under warranty. Cost would have been close to $4,000.

The car itself is great when it runs. Plenty of reports of vehicles with zero issues.

I'll keep mine and run it into the ground. I'm sure when my 8yr 125k warranty expires repair parts will be available used. Also, parts will be refurbished or easier to repair I believe. The motor swap is a $15k expense at the dealer, but a real mechanic can replace the bearings and seals for a faction of that. Quick Charge Power offers a bearing replacement for $3k at their shop in San Marcos (?). The DC-DC is typically a blown diode. The onboard charger, an internal fuse. Even the battery is usually a contactor failure.

I've not yet had to replace the heater and I hear it can be $4k. But I also hear one from a Nissan will fit / work too.

I also plan to keep mine. I looked very seriously at "upgrading" to a Tesla model 3 but it really would only be an upgrade in cost.
I did a DU replacement under warranty and now have a Toyota platinum warranty.
But really the only maintenance is check the fluids, floormats and rotate the tires.
If you want an EV SUV, it is really the only choice.
Sure, someday there will be other choices, that will cost a lot more. Sure, it is a pain dealing with the dealer service, but only occasionally.
I have solar so at this point I drive for free.
I am at 60K miles and plan to run mine into the ground.

I've got about 20k miles on my RAV4EV and about 1k miles on my Model 3 . . . and, overall, I kind of like the RAV4 better. At this stage of life, the RAV4 is easier ingress/egress, I prefer many of the discrete, tactile switchgear over the M3's touchscreen-oriented controls, and of course the utility of the large rear area is outstanding.

For example, I just picked up a large, 40 lb. package from USP distribution center today on my way home, and it slid right in the back of the RAV4. If I'd had the M3, I would have had to do some stooping and such to get it into the trunk or backseat. Really, the utility of the RAV4 is unmatched by any EV anywhere close in price.

I was seriously considering getting a second RAV4EV, but we decided the extra range, AWD, and much better ride quality of the M3 was worth the tradeoffs. I'd had the M3 reservation (deposit) before I bought the RAV4, and after a month of driving the RAV4 I realized I didn't really need the M3, but in the end we decided to retire the 13-year-old Infiniti and replace it with the M3.

I expect I'll have the RAV4EV for at least another 30k, barring a catastrophic event. I did purchase the Toyota Platinum Used Car Warranty, so I think I've hedged my bet well enough.

dstjohn99 said:
I'll keep mine and run it into the ground. I'm sure when my 8yr 125k warranty expires repair parts will be available used. Also, parts will be refurbished or easier to repair I believe. The motor swap is a $15k expense at the dealer, but a real mechanic can replace the bearings and seals for a faction of that. Quick Charge Power offers a bearing replacement for $3k at their shop in San Marcos (?). The DC-DC is typically a blown diode. The onboard charger, an internal fuse. Even the battery is usually a contactor failure.

I've not yet had to replace the heater and I hear it can be $4k. But I also hear one from a Nissan will fit / work too.

Yes, we are in San Marcos, California (North San Diego county).

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
[email protected]
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

I have a 2013 with 107K+ miles, wife has 2014 67K miles, brother's 2013 62K miles. 2 of 3 have QC power JdeMo installed. All three have Toyota platinum extended warranty (all put to good use, and we've gotten more than our $$$ worth). Do you get the sense that we really like this car! Recently, when my niece asked about getting an EV, I was reluctant to recommend the Rav4EV; I couldn't bear the thought of her being stranded on the road somewhere. We will drive our Rav's into the ground, but when friends and family ask for recommendations, I say to get a Tesla if they can afford it and a Leaf if they cannot, but only get a Rav if they like adventure or feel "lucky". If you do go with the Rav, do consider getting the JdeMo as well as any of the well made products from Tony Williams and QC Power ... really!!!

Eugene

I would find it hard to recommend the RAV4EV to a new owner at this point, especially if they can't get extended warranty coverage on it. I'll run mine into the ground because:

• I already have it and it suits my needs.
    I have an extended warranty that will run for a few more years
    If the heater died out of warranty, I'd just make do with the seat heaters here in sunny southern California.
    I think my last motor replacement is going to last since the other two I had started making noise before now.
    I like having an "unusual" EV.
    I live close enough to QuickChargePower that I could use Tony's services if I did have to deal with one of the expensive repairs.

If I didn't already own the RAV, I'd probably buy a Model 3. If I absolutely had to have an SUV (I don't), I would probably settle for a plug-in hybrid as I can't afford and really don't care for the Model X. I'd also seriously consider the Bolt. I liked my LEAF, and would be happy to buy one of the newer ones if Nissan ever got their battery degradation problems under control.

Can anyone estimate how much a platinum warranty might cost? Just want to factor that into my purchase price estimates as well (just in case I see a used one w/out a transferable warranty).

PS— I like the RAV4 as I am thinking about growing my family to two kids, and have a horrid 50min (each way) stop and go commute for work. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone so to speak, and not get a smaller EV and have to constantly switch cars wih my spouse (2018 RAV4 Hybrid) when I’m out and about.

Back