Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravisekhar

I spoke to ebay dealer who is selling Clipper Creek CS-60. I am going to san diego and on my return i am going to buy and pick up the stuff from him. He said if i can buy more than one he can reduce the price and waive the shipping charges. If some is interested we can get a better deal. I live in bay area( San Ramon). If some one wants to join me PM me, we can save together.

I'm in!

Just so I understand, the -60 model uses a 60 amp breaker, but will never drawn more than 40 amps on the Rav4 EV?... 9.6 or so at the onboard charger? In other words... This evse should have a easy time charging the car at the max rate?

is this where I go convince the significant other of how great this is, and why we need it. Easy.. I've got it down to an art. :roll:

doug401 said:
I'm in!

Just so I understand, the -60 model uses a 60 amp breaker, but will never drawn more than 40 amps on the Rav4 EV?... 9.6 or so at the onboard charger? In other words... This evse should have a easy time charging the car at the max rate?

is this where I go convince the significant other of how great this is, and why we need it. Easy.. I've got it down to an art. :roll:

It has a 48 amp pilot signal, so yes, it will charge the 40 amp Tesla charger at full speed.

Yes, a 60 amp breaker.

Kohler Controller said:
But if one already had a 50A breaker and line set up in the garage for a welder, this would still work fine without any modification, correct?

Not for a 48 amp pilot signal. You need 125% of the continuous load, which would be 60 amp breaker and #4 wire for shorter runs.

Or, you could have Clipper Creek reflash the mother board for a 40 amp pilot signal. You would have to remove the board and ship it to them. Then, you could use your existing welder wiring and breaker (assuming it was done correctly with #6 wire).

The Tesla onboard charger pulls a maximum of 40 amps. It can handle 100-277 volts.

TonyWilliams said:
It has a 48 amp pilot signal, so yes, it will charge the 40 amp Tesla charger at full speed.

Yes, a 60 amp breaker.

Great, Thanks Tony.
Follow up question,
I know local codes take priority, but generally, would a 60 amp sub panel be required on a 200 amp service panel, or is it acceptable to have the 60 amp breaker within the main panel? The EVSE is only 24 inches from the main. Assume other household loads, and the evse, are at 50% of the main panel rating.
Disclaimer::: I understand completely if you don't want to go near this one.

ravisekhar said:
I spoke to ebay dealer who is selling Clipper Creek CS-60. I am going to san diego and on my return i am going to buy and pick up the stuff from him. He said if i can buy more than one he can reduce the price and waive the shipping charges. If some is interested we can get a better deal. I live in bay area( San Ramon). If some one wants to join me PM me, we can save together.

I am interested in getting one of these, but am in SoCal within EV driving distance of the seller. If I participated would it be possible to pick mine up separately or does the seller only want to deal with a single transaction, otherwise logistics-wise it may make more sense for me just to purchase separately.

yblaser said:
ravisekhar said:

I am interested in getting one of these, but am in SoCal within EV driving distance of the seller. If I participated would it be possible to pick mine up separately or does the seller only want to deal with a single transaction, otherwise logistics-wise it may make more sense for me just to purchase separately.

I was thinking the same thing... as I am in the area from time to time. I believe we are talking about the seller in Pomona?

TonyWilliams said:
Kohler Controller said:
But if one already had a 50A breaker and line set up in the garage for a welder, this would still work fine without any modification, correct?

Not for a 48 amp pilot signal. You need 125% of the continuous load, which would be 60 amp breaker and #4 wire for shorter runs.

Or, you could have Clipper Creek reflash the mother board for a 40 amp pilot signal. You would have to remove the board and ship it to them. Then, you could use your existing welder wiring and breaker (assuming it was done correctly with #6 wire).

The Tesla onboard charger pulls a maximum of 40 amps. It can handle 100-277 volts.

If the charger only pulls 40A, and I have a 50A breaker (satisfying the 125% cont load rating), then why should one care what the EVSE pilot signal is or what it's capable of? In this case, the charger is determining the max current, not the EVSE as in the most common 7.2kW/30A models.

ravisekhar said:

What price break did he offer?

Kohler Controller said:
TonyWilliams said:
Kohler Controller said:

If the charger only pulls 40A, and I have a 50A breaker (satisfying the 125% cont load rating), then why should one care what the EVSE pilot signal is or what it's capable of? In this case, the charger is determining the max current, not the EVSE as in the most common 7.2kW/30A models.
The problem - from a code standpoint - is that you could plug in a Tesla Model S with twin-chargers to the same EVSE and it could pull the 48 amps allowed by the pilot signal and overheat your wiring. So, Tony is correct - either upgrade the wiring and breaker or have the EVSE modified to only allow a 40amp draw.

Clearly, as in informed EV owner, it's not that hard to do the installation and use it safely, but a subsequent homeowner may not be as informed and it could do some real damage.

doug401 said:
TonyWilliams said:

Yes, a 60 amp breaker.

Great, Thanks Tony.
Follow up question,
I know local codes take priority, but generally, would a 60 amp sub panel be required on a 200 amp service panel, or is it acceptable to have the 60 amp breaker within the main panel? The EVSE is only 24 inches from the main. Assume other household loads, and the evse, are at 50% of the main panel rating.

Practically, you don't need a sub panel. What the codes are in your neighborhood, obviously I couldn't know.

TonyWilliams said:
doug401 said:
Great, Thanks Tony.
Follow up question,
Practically, you don't need a sub panel. What the codes are in your neighborhood, obviously I couldn't know.
I am having a 75Amp OpenEVSE installed at my daughter's house, in which, it requires a 100Amp breaker. In additions, I am adding a NEMA 14-50 outlet outside the house on the driveway. The NEMA 14-50 requires a 50Amp breaker.

My daughter's power feed is 100 amps, and the proposed 2 charger circuits are rated 50 amps and 75 amps. The estimated actual power used by the chargers will be 80% of the rated capacity, this would mean additional (should all appliances and lighting turns on) load of 100 amps. 50 amps + 75 amps = 125 amps. 80% of 125 amps = 100 amps. Therefore the National Electrical Code would suggest that the service be upgraded from 100Amp to 200Amp.

However, since my daughter's house does not have Air Conditioner AND her heater uses gas AND EV charging *ONLY* happens while she sleeps where no (or close to 0) other electricity is consumed. I did not upgrade the 100Amp service.

PG&E, her utility company, has just offered an incentive to homeowners who are EV drivers, that PG&E will give a maximum of $2000 to upgrade the electric panel/service as required by the extra power drawn by the EVs. I got a quote of $1950 to upgrade my daughter's electric service. I am considering the service upgrade because of PG&E's incentive.

yblaser said:
ravisekhar said:

Sorry for the late reply. I am not sure if he is ok with that. If he is ok as a separate transaction can you pm me your details so I can give it to him.

Kohler Controller said:
ravisekhar said:

The price on eBay is $725 plus $52 shipping and handling.

We might get it for $700 or $675. If purchased I will get a receipt for the purchase price.

ravisekhar said:
Kohler Controller said:
ravisekhar said:

The price on eBay is $725 plus $52 shipping and handling.

We might get it for $700 or $675. If purchased I will get a receipt for the purchase price.

Ravi, please check your messages. Several of us are trying to find out who you bought your Rav4 from in the bay area.

Just drove down to Pomona yesterday and picked up a brand new, never used CS-60. Called and told them I was part of the group buy and wanted to drive over and pick it up... no problem. gave me the price of $675.

kewegs said:
Ravi, please check your messages. Several of us are trying to find out who you bought your Rav4 from in the bay area.
Ravi has said something about picking up the EVSEs while traveling to SoCal, so he may be out of pocket.

I believe he got his fabulous Rav4EV deal from Hayward Toyota. (Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.)

Back