Buying a RAV4 EV, Shipping to Colorado

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiffster

OK so I wanted to start a new thread about my buying experience since have dont see one directly related to this topic.

From the research that I have done it looks like I should be able to get the 6k rebate in Colorado for "Alternative Fuel Vehicles" Here is a link to that document: http://www.colorado.gov/cms/forms/dor-tax/Income67.pdf

And yes, I realize the RAV4 EV is not listed in that document, but that list serves as sample data, and doesnt cover all applicable vehicles. The RAV4 EV DEFINITELY qualifies according the the document.

So to start off, I need to find a dealer willing to work with me since I am out of state. I have a few questions.

Is 38K doable on this car? Thats would be 10K Toyota rebate for socal dealers along with some help on the MSRP from the dealer. I know some guy said he bought his in the 37k range, so Im wondering if I should be aiming even lower, but I dont want to be unreasonable either.

I have been referred to one dealer already from another thread. (Dianne Whitmore at Carson Toyota) but I would like to get a little more information before I get in contact with her.

At 38K my deal would look like this:
-7500 (Federal)
-6000 (State)

A pretty amazing price.

Also, I should add that I am fine with the fact that I would have to ship this car to a dealer in CA if something major goes wrong with the EV related components. I trust that Toyota and Tesla have put together a relatively reliable EV with the RAV4 EV.

We have one other forum member that has frequented here that bought his car in Colorado.

California's "rebate" is only $2500, so I should say you're getting a GREAT deal! However, if I was a CA dealer selling to an OOS buyer I wouldn't be as forgiving on any more discounting off MSRP. The dealer just has more leverage working for him with an OOS buyer. Kind of a "take it or leave it" situation. Nevertheless, the substantial cashback and 0% financing are already so lucrative, there is really little more to be haggling over.

If there was more potential buyers in CA, they probably wouldn't even be talking to an OOS buyer at all. The fact, that they are, must truly means the dealers are desparate to move these cars off their lots. So, almost anything goes . . . they might even be willing to sell to an buyer out of the country the way things have been going so far in CA.

Fwiw, my experience with the RAV4 EV I have owned since November, strongly suggests it is a rock solid design (except for scheduled charging), and makes for an excellent electrified SUV. Based on the standard RAV4, it has no aspirations to be anything but a very practical car, great for short trips and commuting, going to the store and hauling large items around - I frequently use my to take two dogs with me. It is certainly more practical than any other model EV currently available for someone with a family lifestyle. PLUS, it has surprisingly good performance; so much so, better watch out for the abundance of "torque steer" if you get on it too hard after a U-turn. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info Dsinned. Looks like you and I will be in the same boat if things work out. I have a Volt as well. I see the Volt as the gateway drug to going full electric, lol.

Anyway, the RAV4 will be my wife's car since she absolutely has to have an SUV now that we have a kid (8 month old). Getting her into her car seat is a real PITA with the Volt and our Cruze (selling the Cruze).

Besides the fact that the RAV4 is an SUV it really looks to be the only EV available with no real compromises. We were looking at small SUVs like the RAV4 and with the options we want, were looking at 25-27k range anyway... may as well go full electric for around the same price when all is said and done. (Though I bet taxes and plates will be killer for a 50k car)

The State rebates here are so unreal for EVs, but you NEVER see them out here, its kinda sad.

Spiffster said:
Thanks for the info Dsinned. Looks like you and I will be in the same boat if things work out. I have a Volt as well. I see the Volt as the gateway drug to going full electric, lol.

Anyway, the RAV4 will be my wife's car . . . The State rebates here are so unreal for EVs, but you NEVER see them out here, its kinda sad.
Yep, same for me, the RAV4 EV is my wife's car, except we are empty nesters and she puts our two small dogs in the back of the car with the seats folded down to haul around. Can't do that nearly as well in my VOLT!

The VOLT is now becoming a common sight in and around Silicon Valley, but I have yet to see another RAV4 EV. They just aren't selling well here in CA for no good reason! :shock:

I have had my RAV4 EV in Colorado for around 4 months now. I believe you will get the $6K state rebate. I will apply for that on my 2012 tax return.

I haven't had any issues with the car and the required maintenance does not need any work done on the EV-specific components. I am not worried about finding a dealer to maintain the car. If the motor or an EV-specific component blows, that may be a different issue. I believe any Toyota will figure out a way to fix an issue like that, it just may take some time to get done.

You can also get HOV lane exemption stickers for the car. Also, electricity is cheap in Colorado relative to California even though there is no time-of-day pricing so you can charge anytime.

Shipping was around $700 from LA. PM me if you want to test drive the car some time.

The flip side of your cheap Colorado electricity is that your region has the nation's dirtiest power per the Union of Concerned Scientists' State of Charge report. 33 MPGghg, iirc.

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/smart-transportation-solutions/advanced-vehicle-technologies/electric-cars/emissions-and-charging-costs-electric-cars.html

electric-cars-global-warming-emissions-fact-2.jpg

Yes, I believe Colorado's electricity production is ~52% coal sourced. Kinda sad. But what about "clean" coal? LOL... really though, we have panels on our roof that currently offset most of our electricity consumption.

Let me take this moment to pat myself on the back... *smug*

Either way, EVs get cleaner every year along with the grid. Not that even a 100% coal powered RAV4 EV would be any worse than a gas powered one.

shikataganai said:
The flip side of your cheap Colorado electricity is that your region has the nation's dirtiest power per the Union of Concerned Scientists' State of Charge report.

I think the part of the country on that map in the dark blue might like the temperature being a little warmer at least in the winter. Cheap electricity and warmer weather. Win-win?????

Back