On the way to negotiate for a 2012!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

Any recommendations on current bargaining / numbers? I've put together some info for leverage. I also recall in one of the threads something about being able to have the "anti theft glass" $299 taken off. Can anyone update or provide info on that? I can't find it and we're out the door in an hour. Also - floor mats, door guards? Good price for them?
Anything else??

Be careful about the f&i (finance) guy/gal at the end being very pushy on extended warranties, LoJack, VIN etching, rust proofing, maintenance packages, etc. I've gotten treatment from not pushy at all to crazy high pressure tactics and psychological tricks (I wasn't buying that time, was helping out a friend who'd never bought new before. I hadn't had the time to prep her on what she'd encounter.)

You can buy Toyota extended warranties anytime before the 3 year/36K basic warranty is over and might be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

Maybe skim thru http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html. esp. http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman-pg4.html on the 4-square system. Don't fall prey to that and paying more. Also, separate out trading in from purchasing, to make things easier and so they can't give you a deceptively low price by ripping you off on a trade in.

There is an update at http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman-updated-for-2009.html.

Karen said:
Any recommendations on current bargaining / numbers? I've put together some info for leverage. I also recall in one of the threads something about being able to have the "anti theft glass" $299 taken off. Can anyone update or provide info on that? I can't find it and we're out the door in an hour. Also - floor mats, door guards? Good price for them?
Anything else??
Just tell them that you don't want the anti-theft glass insurance. That's all it is... insurance. You will be ask to sign a anti-theft contract when with the finance guy. You also have 60 days to cancel, if it's the same as what was presented to me. Also LoJack isn't needed because Safety Connect can locate the car if it is stolen... Entune can as well!

They are the best sales people on the lot and are very good at what they do.

I believe you were talking to DCH Toyota of Simi Valley? I bought thru DCH Toyota of Oxnard... sister dealerships.

Good luck!

cwerdna said:
You can buy Toyota extended warranties anytime before the 3 year/36K basic warranty is over and might be able to get a better deal elsewhere.
You can get a better deal! Acton Toyota is one that I talked to and offered a much better deal.
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=174

Because there are no real options from Toyota (floor mats and three colors), this is the car you "pre-negotiate" before ever driving to a dealer.

ALWAYS BE READY TO WALK AWAY !!! That means even if you're all the way to seemingly the end of the process, and they spring "mandatory window etching" or any other complete BS like "Toyota wants you to have this $2500 extended warranty because it's scary new technology" (playing on your fears of the unknown), just say no and be ready to walk.

There are too many dealers out there who can sell you the car. Don't be their victim, because they will fleece you if YOU let them.

I recommend calling on the phone to negotiate the price. Have them email the deal, specifying all the particulars, but basically, "what's the Out-The-Door price?".

There are plenty of deals listed in the forum for you to compare to. Or post the offer here and we'll let ya know. If you let them guide or direct you ("we can't do that" type BS), tell them you'll just call the next dealer.

All I can say is there has been a TON a good advice given in this thread. The F&I "closer" is definitely after all the money s/he can get out of you. Watch out if they start calling you by your first name and acting really friendly. They usually wait till you've reached a state of "I'm so pleased with myself", before they really go to work on you! And they can be relentless! NOTHING they try to push on you, other than the vehicle itself, is necessary to buy; so just say "NO", even if you have to be RUDE!

Back early from an unsuccessful trip to our local Toyota dealer. Their online inventory showed as one 2012 and two 2013s. We arrived to find out that the 2012 was the "dealer" car and they weren't selling it and had sold their last 2012 a couple of days ago. The dealership has a sister store location with one 2012 but no negotiating was happening. I brought up AvLegends price and contact and also Diane's inventory and posted prices. Showed it to the salesman. No budging at all.
So, today was not meant to be but we'll start contacting dealerships tomorrow. Is Diane W with Carson Toyota or Laguna Hills? Not clear but if OC kind of far.
Thanks to everyone for your input. Wish I had the EV grin!

Sorry to hear that Oxnard would not cooperate. Did you talk to Al Gaines? Seems like they are getting more confident in their pricing with the end of 2012 inventory.

Anyway Dianne Whitmire is with Carson Toyota. Here is her thread on priuschat... You should be able to get back to Simi (if that's where you are located) from Carson on an extended charge.

http://priuschat.com/threads/diannes-socal-inventory-and-deals-for-the-2012-rav4-evs-in-march-april-2013.123058/#post-1789619

I got what I think was the last Shorline Blue 2012 in the state from DCH Oxnard on Saturday. I'll post my overall experience and adventure driving it home soon.

I was at DCH Simi Valley Toyota and their sister store is DCH Oxnard. I'm okay with any of the colors and really don't have a preference. I used Al Gaines' name when talking with Simi and they said he was with internet sales. Really, I think it came down to them not wanting to put in effort to sell a car that wasn't on their lot.

Miimura- looking forward to your post on your buying experience with Oxnard.

Cars.com shows 1 silver 2012 left at Oxnard. The price that they gave me was Diannes $48,444 last month. I think she is a little less with silver now.

A few months back Oxnard didn't have any inventory and I emailed Simi... they didn't want to sell any less than $500 off MSRP. This was at the beginning of the price incentives. Was surprised as to the unwillingness to meet other dealerships offers. Oxnard was totally different from Simi Valley. Good luck!

Bought the silver one at DCH Simi Valley this afternoon. They brought the car over from Oxnard to the Simi dealership tonight. We test drove it and signed all the paperwork. The charge was very low and we are leaving it to charge overnight. The Rav4 for is for me but the hubby had the big EV smile tonight in sport mode.
Question!! I know there is a thread about the interior lights - can someone reply to save me some time on research? They would not turn on and suddenly I had a thought about a thread from this forum. I don't pick up the car until late tomorrow (long day trip up north).
DCH Toyota came through - we had a great buying experience with them with our Tacoma last year so I was glad that they got back to us today and matched Dianne's price from Carson. Happy surprise!
Linked up Entunes and already had my music playing. SWEET!!!

Going to update my profile to reflect our home solar and vehicles.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for helping. You've been super amazing! Thanks!

^^^
Is there some interior light switch that isn't set to on or door? (Sorry, I have no RAV4 EV.)

If it's set right, see http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2583#p2583 and http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3428#p3428

Yes, sport mode is great. :D

Snagged Hamer's last 2012 last night for $47,519 for my wife. The experience leading up to the final sit-down was not fun, but ultimately, it went smooth and I got my lease structured the way I wanted it. And my wife is ecstatic!

Thanks to all the great info on this forum, it really helped out in negotiating the deal!

Back