Out of State service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amped up

So has anyone who purchased a RAV4 EV out of state experienced any trouble getting the vehicle service?

I'm especially interested in how your dealer is handling updates to the Tesla tech, and how they would handle motor replacements etc.

My dealer indicated that they have 0 training with these vehicles, and because of this, can not commit to the repairs/service.

I know 1 dealer sold at least 40+ vehicles to out of state buyers, so I'm hoping someone here has more experience with this (don't wish anything bad to anyone tho).

Yea they are, which is why I was surprised by their reaction. I bought my Plug-in from them actually.

When I picked up my Rav this week, my dealer had me signed a paper saying that this car stays in CA for support. This is a waiver for Toyota. He indicated it is a recent document required by Toyota for sale of this car. So don't know if this has to do with handling (Toyota's solution) for out of state sales.

I've seen this document, and was told by the Toyota dealer in CA that I have to sign this as well, basically stating I might be on my own if I don't bring it back to CA if I want any support. That said, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act overrides that, it clearly states that the vehicle has to be services at ANY of the dealerships in the United States.

Since so many of the cars have shipped to other states, I'm surprised to hear that no one has encountered any issues. I'd like to hear from people how they handled it, so I can guide my dealership (they are more than willing to 'learn', they just need guidance).

amped up said:
So has anyone who purchased a RAV4 EV out of state experienced any trouble getting the vehicle service?
My dealer indicated that they have 0 training with these vehicles, and because of this, can not commit to the repairs/service.
Not surprised. Doing so costs money. Toyota's not selling these outside CA nor planning on making very many (2600).

Right, but considering how many vehicles are going out of state, we either have many people who love high-stakes gambling, or they know something I don't ;)

amped up said:
Right, but considering how many vehicles are going out of state, we either have many people who love high-stakes gambling, or they know something I don't ;)

I fail to see the "high stakes" for within USA purchase from a huge company that does business in the USA.

Just because Toyota wants to only sell in California does not in any way relieve the of their obligations to US law.

Yes, they will lie and squeal like pigs, and it may take legal action to get your car fixed (or shipping it to a different dealer and sueing for transport costs).

I'll be due for my 6 mo/5,000 mile service in 4 weeks, so If someone else hasn't replied about their out of CA service before then, I'll get back to you. MY local (Vancouver Washington) Toyota dealership committed to service my Rav EV, before I finalized my purchase. We'll see if any issues concerning service, particularly the firmware updates. If any problems, I'll have no issue with hiring an attorney to make it right. Hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm not too worried about basic service I guess, but more about issues like others are experiencing now (example). While they might address it if you get a lawyer involved, or ship the car back to CA, it would remove the 'good deal' part of this transaction, making this a less attractive option to me.

I do appreciate the follow-up tho, we need more data from out-of-state folks, not sure why they are all hiding ;)

Service is not a problem in Washington State. I attended a Rodland Toyota "New Owner Q and A" last night. My invite was unsolicited, they contacted me. During the RSVP I asked if they understood this is a Rav EV and I didn't purchased it at their dealership, but in CA. I've voiced my concerns about complete service, specifically the Tesla drive train, three times now and they keep telling me what I want to hear...No problem.

But Rodland could be an exception. They are well established and progressive. They also have a 1st gen Rav 4 which they have used for over a decade. Sadly they told me they are giving back to Toyota. I didn't ask why. The car crusher must be fixed :cry:

Besides driving home my service concerns, I did learn that the Iphone can show, and read, in-coming text messages on the nav screen. Very nice.

doug401 said:
I did learn that the Iphone can show, and read, in-coming text messages on the nav screen. Very nice.
That's cool! Did you have to enable something or is it thru Siri?

Here is a paragraph from the Magnuson- Moss act, it clearly states at the bottom the warrantor can require it to be returned back to place of purchase!!!!

Full Warranty Requirements [edit]

Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:
can remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;
may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;
may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and
if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

In addition, the warrantor may not impose any duty, other than notification, upon any consumer, as a condition of securing the repair of any consumer product that malfunctions, is defective, or does not conform to the written warranty. However, the warrantor may require consumers to return a defective item to its place of purchase for repair.

Philly RAV4 EV said:
I'm one of the rare few that purchased mine used and not from a toyota dealer so where would I return it to???

Exactly. Plus, there's some dealer trying to sell one on the east coast (as a used one so they could pocket the tax credits).

What if you move? Too many reasons why a court might be obligated to enforce the manufacturer to provide warranty coverage locally.

The contract I was shown has a clause which makes you acknowledge that Toyota wants you to homebase the car in CA.

I'm sure that in most cases, Toyota will do the right thing, but either way, their butts are covered.

AvLegends said:
doug401 said:
I did learn that the Iphone can show, and read, in-coming text messages on the nav screen. Very nice.
That's cool! Did you have to enable something or is it thru Siri?
With my iphone 5 with version 6.1.2
"settings"
"bluetooth"
select "car multimedia" menu arrow... Note: do this while out of range of your vehicle.
"show notifications" to "on"

That's it... very simple.

Back