Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Out of State service
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 pm 

To those who have had service at a out of state toyota dealer for repair, I have called around the salt lake area and non of them seem to know about the traveling repair guys to preform any warranty/recall repairs. When i called toyota corp they said they could do it by sending someone out to the dealership to preform the repair. The dealership called their toyota reps and seem to be clueless about this. How have other out of state owners initiated your rav4 ev getting serviced at a toyota dealer?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:41 am 

csugar21 wrote:
To those who have had service at a out of state toyota dealer for repair, I have called around the salt lake area and non of them seem to know about the traveling repair guys to preform any warranty/recall repairs. When i called toyota corp they said they could do it by sending someone out to the dealership to preform the repair. The dealership called their toyota reps and seem to be clueless about this. How have other out of state owners initiated your rav4 ev getting serviced at a toyota dealer?

Call / write Kevin Spillane at Toyota USA in Torrance, California. He will set it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:14 am 

I have read on the forum that there was at least one traction motor replacement out-of-state, can someone confirm that they had powertrain waranty work done out of state? Was it diffricult to deal with toyota?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:02 pm 

ThePoorManTesla wrote:
I have read on the forum that there was at least one traction motor replacement out-of-state, can someone confirm that they had powertrain waranty work done out of state? Was it diffricult to deal with toyota?

Thanks

Yes, one was done in Washington state.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:33 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
ThePoorManTesla wrote:

Thanks

Yes, one was done in Washington state.

and at least 2 have been done here in New Jersey (mine included) No problems dealing with Toyota.

2012 Toyota Rav4 EV BLIZZARD PEARL #99, JdeMO Equipped
Purchased used in Michigan with 2700 miles, shipped to New Jersey on 10/13/2013

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:33 pm 

Kirkland Toyota in Kirkland WA did mine. They called it the "Drive Unit" but did not give me any additional details.
The only "problem" I had was that it took 2 months, some of it due to the dealer figuring out how to work on the Rav4EV but most waiting for the replacement drive unit. They said they had to wait for one to be rebuilt. My impression is that as each unit fails, it is sent back, rebuilt, then put back in another Rav4 and the cycle continues. Perhaps we can coordinate failures so we don't overwhelm the rebuild process. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:51 pm 

It seems good news, it now seems easier to get out-of-state service now. I read less often post with people having problems getting service...and if there is one someone here redirect him to Kevin and most often we don't hear back. Delay for getting part is another story...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:49 pm 

ThePoorManTesla wrote:
It seems good news, it now seems easier to get out-of-state service now. I read less often post with people having problems getting service...and if there is one someone here redirect him to Kevin and most often we don't hear back. Delay for getting part is another story...

Toyota no longer has to deal with worrying about CARB-ZEV credits (except leases need to go 36 months).

So, hopefully, they will default to their well earned reputation of customer service instead of antagonizing EV owners and out-of-state dealers (we have two strikes... Toyota is openly anti-EV, and they never wanted to sell them to begin with... ok, three strikes; the Tesla relationship has soured).

My last phone conversation with Kevin indicated a thawing of treating out-of-state owners like the enemy, and more like customers.

We had #3021 serviced in Washington, and of course, Toyota USA stiffed the dealer for Toyota Care. The dealer has mentioned that to me several times.

Then, we had an oil leak, and we had to go through the entire denied, appeal, beg, phone call, phone call, phone call, email, email, email, then once they gave the ok in Torrance, it just took a few days to get fixed.

Far from ideal, but better than where we started almost three years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm 

ThePoorManTesla wrote:

...One guy, in the entire organization, with (some) authority of arranging your EV to be serviced outside of California. For all out-of-state RAV4 EV owners, I hope "Kevin" doesn't take a job with Honda.

Clearly, the RAV4 EV was a compliance car; a stop-gap CAFE measure to keep Tundras & Sequoias rolling out the door. Now that their fuel-cell technology is becoming a reality, Toyota will soon forget the Tesla partnership ever existed - which is sad because of the incredible brand value that Tesla has, and properly leveraged, these Toyeslas would be flying out the door. The problem is, Toyota probably has to sell them for $80,000 each to make a profit.

I think most people that first heard about the RAV4 EV (including myself) thought WOW!!!...famous Toyota reliability paired with a Tesla drivetrain. An real alternative to the Model X SUV for $50,000 or less. It almost sells itself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 pm 

Just bought a used 2014 model in Colorado, and tried the heat today: no heat. I emailed Kevin Spillane and my local dealer. Very disappointing! I didn't think to try it on the test drives since it was hot those days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next