There's a Rav4 EV on my street and it's not mine!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoltor

Still in my first week of Rav4 EV ownership and a couple days ago saw another Rav4 EV (white with HOV stickers) parked on my street about 10 houses away. Part of my street that I hardly ever drive down. At first wasn't sure if it was a visitor or if the car lived there, but today I saw it for the third time! Obviously been around for a while since it already has HOV stickers. At any rate what a nice coincidence.... not only 2 in my town, but 2 on my street!

I have had my RAV4 EV for 2 1/2 weeks now and just love it. A few days after buying the car, I installed the Leviton EVP40-P5T charging station in the garage and it's been working just fine. Yesterday while at work my wife called and said the charger doesn't show any lights. I thought the breaker had tripped so when I got home, I turned it off then back on. No lights. No power. Worse, No fast charging.

^^^
To be clear, J1772 level 2 charging is not considered "fast charging".

http://www.chademo.com/wp/technology/optimal/ mentions 50 kW for CHAdeMO. Nissan's low cast CHAdeMO DC fast charger mentions 44 kW max. That can take a Leaf from 0 to 80% in 30 mins. Leaf has around 21.x kWh usable battery capacity, a bit over half the Rav4 EV's usable battery capacity.

Tesla's Superchargers are way faster than even the above.

In contrast, the highest possible under http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3517#p3517 would be just under 10 kW.

siamon said:
I have had my RAV4 EV for 2 1/2 weeks now and just love it. A few days after buying the car, I installed the Leviton EVP40-P5T charging station in the garage and it's been working just fine. Yesterday while at work my wife called and said the charger doesn't show any lights. I thought the breaker had tripped so when I got home, I turned it off then back on. No lights. No power. Worse, No fast charging.
To eliminate a problem with the onboard charger in the car plug in the supplied L1 120V charge cord. If it starts charging your Leviton unit is the culprit. I believe others here have reported problems with Leviton units. They seem to respond to failed units pretty well. :)

Back