Tesla Mobile Connector Usable For RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teslaguy

Hi all. I work for Tesla (Bellevue Square and Seattle stores) and am seriously considering a 2013 RAV4 EV. My question is: have any of you considered using a Tesla Mobile Connector (20' cord) with a J1772 adapter for your RAV4 EV? The cost is much less than the 40 amp EVSE's suggested for the RAV4. For example, all you would need is a 240 outlet with 40 amps ($200 install or so). The mobile connector is $650 (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle). The J1772 adapter is $95. Total: Under $1,000. Any Seattle area RAV4 EV owners please feel free to contact me re: your car and where you get it serviced. I'm close to making the leap...I know how good the drive train is! Many thanks, Tom (Teslaguy)

Doesn't the adapter go the wrong way? (i.e., from J1772 "male" to Tesla "female")

I know some guys have spliced a J1772 on the end of the Tesla UMC and that seemed to work ok but there is no "off the shelf" solution I've heard of.

Tom, it has been done, but I do not recommend the Tesla Model S "UMC" for continuous duty. Sadly, this is not one of Tesla's premium designs. There have been problems with the unit failing and melting pins on the power supply side of the plug.

Once you hack off the Tesla plug off to install the J1772 "nozzle", the warranty just went bye-bye (maybe you'd have some pull there), so ask yourself how badly you want to buy a second one after the first one burns up. That doesn't mean don't get a UMC; it just means that you'd want to throw it in the trunk to use "in the wild", not everyday at home. You might also consider the Roadster UMC, which has been bullet proof as far as I know ($1500).

For 40 amp continuous daily service, you can't beat a Clipper Creek. I have no experience with the 40 amp Leviton (you can buy through Home Depot online), but we have not had any failures that I'm aware of. For 30 amp service, there are a plethora of good choices.

On another topic, I've been talking with Genny about hosting something up at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington for our "www.AllElectricVehicleRally.org, BC2BC-2013, 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico", starting June 29, 2013, 9am - 1pm.

Hope to see you up there then.

Ground Gainer and Tony, thanks for the comments. You're right, the mobile connector would have to be spliced. I'll stick with the tried and true if I get the RAV4 EV. Tom

Back