Rav4 EV for sale, POST HERE ONLY

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Came across this Rav4 EV being sold by a Toyota Dealer in Massachusetts.

http://www.wellesleytoyota.com/used/Toyota/2012-Toyota-RAV4+EV-5da3b8ec0a0a0065013401d7aac586b1.htm

Why is a California compliance car being sold by a Toyota Dealer in Massachusetts? At full price?!

Is this a new trend? Buying a Rav4 Ev on the West Coast taking the $10,000 factory incentive, $7,500 tax credit, $2,500 CARB refund...then driving it to the East Coast and selling it at FULL price?

This can't be legal? I know for a fact if you claim the $2,500 CARB rebate the car is supposed to remain in California for a minimum of 36 months...or return the money.

(Paragraph from CVRP manual)
Resale of a vehicle or return to a dealer is allowed within this 36 month period
if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. To employ this provision,
ARB must approve the circumstances and sale or return in advance. If the vehicle is
resold, the vehicle purchaser or lessee must refund a prorated portion of their rebate, in
an amount equivalent to the original rebate amount divided by 36 months and then
multiplied by the number of months remaining in the original 36 month period.

Toyota should be ashamed of itself, if anything this should be considered an unethical business practice!

First, Toyota USA isn't "doing" this. It's at a private Toyota dealer (as they all are in the USA) and listed as "used".

I suspect some sales manager gave himself a nice $7500 tax credit on his personal taxes (illegal) and $2500 California paycheck (also against the rules).

Sadly, this is only too common. When the unsuspecting customer buys it, the dealer just shrugs when questioned why it's used.

"Hey, snort, belch, it only has 13 miles on it!! Isn't that new to you? Now shutta you mouth and sign here before I smack ya."

Of course, no 0% financing and slightly over full retail price:

Your estimated monthly payment:
$882per month 60 Months @ 3.9% A.P.R. (estimated financing rate)
($2,999 Down Payment)

The description on their site is particularly "smarmy" sounding. Very opportunistic.

Comments:
This 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV is a one-of-a-kind, FULLY ELECTRIC VEHICLE! You won't find anything like this anywhere else as these small SUVs are sold in very limited numbers, and only in California. In addition to the Tesla Motors developed electric-only drivetrain, this vehicle also comes with Toyota Entune Navigation to make the most out of your 100+ mile range! If you want the chance to own this exceptionally rare vehicle, call Wellesley Toyota to set up an appointment today!

Just listed...Pre-owned 2012 Rav4 Ev with 2,729 miles. Piercey Toyota in Milpitas. They're asking way too much money! $39,996! You can get a much better deal on a new one with 0% financing + factory incentives + tax credits. Someone must have taken a serious hit trading this one in! They better be willing to deal...or this one is going to sit on the lot for awhile.

http://www.pierceytoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2012-Toyota-RAV4-7d6628710a0a00e00164958df6f0cb89.htm

Hoosier said:
Just listed...Pre-owned 2012 Rav4 Ev with 2,729 miles. Piercey Toyota in Milpitas. They're asking way too much money! $39,996! You can get a much better deal on a new one with 0% financing + factory incentives + tax credits. Someone must have taken a serious hit trading this one in! They better be willing to deal...or this one is going to sit on the lot for awhile.

I think Carlsbad had a used one with a price like this, and when somebody called on it, the price dropped $10k immediately. I suspect it's like fishing; ya never know when a big fish will bite.

The interesting thing about this dealership is what is across the street; one of the largest PV solar parking lot structures around. Its the Milpitas Elmwood Juvenile Detention Center's parking lot. Does anybody know how large a system it is? Looks to be at least 1000 solar panels!

There is another really big one at the new Kaiser Hospital in Santa Clara off Lawrence Expressway.

IMPRESSIVE! :mrgreen:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=photos&listingId=116064989

948664191.jpg

a little high, since a new one is cheaper

i agree..

this is why the $7500 tax credit should be limit one per person (or corp entity) per year (lease company excluded).

dealers been doing this with volts, leaf, now rav4s. buying them, get the credit, then sell it for almost the same as MSRP.

$35.9K isn't bad, but 8.9% APR dealer financing is horrible compared to ZERO PERCENT for factory financing on a new RAV4 EV! Btw, back in November, it was 1.9%, but dropped to 0% in December and has not gone back up yet as far as I know. I wish I would of waited just a month longer before buying mine.

Petaluma is selling a new 2012 for 36k right now so definitely not a great deal as I assume you'll lose the 0% and federal incentives. Check out Craigslist and type in 2012 Rav4 EV if its not too late

I saw that a dealer in Santa Rosa was selling a used 2012 blizzard pear AND a used 2012 shoreline blue pearl for sale on craigslist for $36K each a couple weeks ago. They had under 100 mi each on them. I called and they confirmed that they were listed as used and therefore ineligible for either the Federal credit or CA rebate. Perhaps these were sold and then financing was denied to the buyers? I saw that explanation in another thread recently.

Charlestonleafer said:
I don't think it would make sense to pay any more than 30k for a used one. I guess we'll find out if someone bites!
Agree. Some of those used prices are nuts, esp. given the lack of 0% financing on used models.

Seems to me it would only be attractive to someone outside CA that can't take the fed tax savings (due to not having the tax liability) and the 2500 CA rebate.

^^^
Yep, but at the same time, that's a pretty big chunk of change.

One would think that many in the market for a Rav4 EV if they didn't have enough tax liability for some reason (I'm actually in that boat now), one might have enough saved in an IRA that they could shift to a Roth IRA to "create" income and thus tax liability. I did some of that last year to take advantage of my low tax bracket, not to buy an EV.

cwerdna said:
(I'm actually in that boat now)
I'm there too... The economy has been tough on the promotional calendar business. That along with unforeseen repairs has caused losses the last couple years. Things are turning around but for the present time not a lot of tax liability here. At least with the business I can carry the tax credit forward.

Back