Dealership Experiences

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloomRAV4_EV

OK, I have to ask.

I bought my RAV4 EV on July 4. Told the wife I was going to declare my independence from gasoline. Yeah, I'll keep my day job, that's fine.

I went to the dealership, found the Shoreline Blue Pearl they had on the lot (checked around dealer websites first to see what was where), test drove it. Didn't want to pay $395 extra for a car that would show dirt better.

Probably the easiest ~$50K sale they've ever made. I bought it that day and drove it home.

I bought the extended warranty (8 years on the vehicle to match the battery), the alarm (and later heard one parked in front of our house go off repeatedly when fireworks were used), the "Finishing Touch" paint and interior protection (car is already filthy between some recent rain and being parked near our sprinklers, not to mention the neighbor's tree that sheds leaves and seed pods everywhere), and LoJack Early Warning.

I have not yet heard from the dealership about having the finishing touch or the alarm installed. I have not yet heard from LoJack about installing their product, though the 2003 Murano I traded in had LoJack installed.

I *have* gotten:
A call from Wells Fargo (July 5). I'm financed at 3.49% for 7 years, thanks, and I really don't think Wells can touch that; I should have gone through my CU but was told that they could match it. (I haven't heard a peep from the CU that allegedly financed it, though I signed paperwork to deal with 3 of them.)

A letter (dated July 4, received probably July 15) from the dealership thanking me for having the confidence to buy from them.

An email from Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. with a survey about the purchase experience. (July 10)

An email from the dealership with Special Offers on services I don't (and won't) need. (July 12)

A call from some survey company (possibly Toyota, number in my call history shows as "Restricted") asking about the RAV4 EV. (July 16)

I didn't hear from the dealership's finance guy until I had called him Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week, after my Credit Union called him on Tuesday (and he was out). He told me it'd be 10 days before the CU they used contacted me, and there was a process they had to go through to line up the alarm and exterior/interior protection for the same time (before scheduling that with me), so he expected they'd be in touch with me this week.

What I have to ask, since a decade has gone by since my previous purchase experience, is whether this is typical of Toyota dealerships (as this is the first Toyota I've owned), dealerships in general in this decade, or if this is (as I feel) particularly slow service.

If I really should be more patient, I'd like to know now. I'm liable to light into them tomorrow (work schedule permitting) and would rather not be unreasonable if, by some chance, this kind of wait is normal.

Sounds to me like your dealer sucks. Of course I am a quite demanding customer, as anyone should be when they spend this kind of money. I really hope you didn't pay ~$50k since the transaction occurred before July 9th, you should have been eligible for the $7,500 rebate from Toyota.

Also, I noticed that you listed your VIN as #1973 or something. Are you sure? I just bought mine (in fact I didn't even receive my car yet) and mine is #1631. That seems like an awfully big jump in VIN #'s since only about 40 or 50 of these cars get sold per month.

madcow said:
Sounds to me like your dealer sucks.
OK, then I'm probably not being unreasonable.
madcow said:
Of course I am a quite demanding customer, as anyone should be when they spend this kind of money.
Then I'll become a demanding customer. :)
madcow said:
I really hope you didn't pay ~$50k since the transaction occurred before July 9th, you should have been eligible for the $7,500 rebate from Toyota.
That rebate was the bulk of my "down payment". Sales tax sucks here, and the stuff they haven't done yet padded the bill.
madcow said:
Also, I noticed that you listed your VIN as #1973 or something. Are you sure? I just bought mine (in fact I didn't even receive my car yet) and mine is #1631. That seems like an awfully big jump in VIN #'s since only about 40 or 50 of these cars get sold per month.
Quite sure. I couldn't tell you how the VINs are assigned, it seems like a big gap if they're sequential; checking the 4 remaining vehicles on the dealer's lot, I see VINs #1581, 1613, 1746, and 1920.

Be sure and photocopy your sales contract and temporary window registration and apply for your $2500 rebate from the state.

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

Also, make sure you get your $7500 federal tax credit when you do your taxes:

IRS Form 8936

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

Apply for your California HOV lane stickers (less than $20) after you have your license plate issued to you:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Tony, thanks. Already started the application for the rebate, knew to have my accountant (still weird to use that phrase) do the taxes, and will definitely apply for the sticker once I have my plates ... but I'm not holding my breath on the plates.

We bought a 2013 Leaf a month ago and don't have the plates yet. Hopefully we'll get those soon and go through the same process, then when these plates show up it'll be second nature.

Time to call the dealership. <sigh>

If you are having second thoughts on all the add one, you might still be able to back out of them if they haven't done the work yet.

I was annoyed by the turnaround time (as well as the length of time it took them to return calls), but it looks like everything is finally a "go" for next Tuesday. I don't know what the hold-up was and I'm not really interested in their excuses; as long as the work is done well, I will be a more satisfied customer. Going to have them switch off the continuous backup beeping while everything else is being done.

Not to be a buzz kill, but doesn't the RAV4EV already have an alarm straight from the factory? Since EnTunes (smart phone free app) can track your vehicle's location, is Lo-Jack even necessary? Did Toyota Financing do away with the 0% for 60 month financing offer?

Kohler Controller said:
doesn't the RAV4EV already have an alarm straight from the factory?
Yeah, but nothing motion sensing. I'm not entirely sure why I opted for it, it's two weeks since I made that call, but it's an "improved" alarm (that I hesitated over for quite a while).
Kohler Controller said:
Since EnTunes (smart phone free app) can track your vehicle's location, is Lo-Jack even necessary?
I got LoJack Early Warning, in which case I get a text if the car moves when I don't expect it to. That's quite a bit different from being paranoid and checking EnTunes randomly to be sure my car is where I left it.
Kohler Controller said:
Did Toyota Financing do away with the 0% for 60 month financing offer?
Doesn't matter, I can't swing that monthly payment, whereas financing it for 7 years (not 5) is doable for me.

It's all done. I'm going to have to adjust the alarm system, I think. Hopefully the LoJack registration will be ready to roll tomorrow and then it'll really be done, and not just installed.

The reverse beep being a single beep will also take some adjustment, but man is that nice.

Back