Any recommendation on EV chargers with programmable timers?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dds02400

New to EV, and want to find a
Home EV charger which I can delay the charging starting time to take advantage the off peak rate.

Thx

Thanks Gene. I am first time buyer for the EV. So rav4 EV allows program to start at 11pm and ends at 7am even I plugged in the adapter at 6pm?

Thx so much

Mike

eplantz said:
Dds02400 said:
Home EV charger which I can delay the charging starting time to take advantage the off peak rate.

Thx

This is done by settings IN THE VEHICLE not EVSE equipment.

Gene

The Siemens Versicharge has a delay option up to 8 hours since there has been ongoing issues with the vehicle timer. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30BLKB-VersiCharge-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B0083ZZFEA

Dds02400 said:
Thanks Gene. I am first time buyer for the EV. So rav4 EV allows program to start at 11pm and ends at 7am even I plugged in the adapter at 6pm?
The charge timer in the RAV4 EV is programmed by completion (departure) time. I have mine set for 7am every day since my weekday electric rate goes back up at that time. However, the timer function in the car is buggy. It will always start early, at least by most people's logic for how it should work. For example, on Friday my car started charging at 4:19am and completed at 5:43am even though it was set for 7am departure. This is on the Leviton 40A EVSE. If you have a lower amperage EVSE and the battery is very empty it is possible that it will start before your off-peak rate begins at 11pm or midnight. This is the thing that bothers people the most about the timer bug.

In addition, the estimated charge time shown on the dashboard is not accurate. It always estimates significantly more time than actually required. In the example above my car charged for 1:24 (hr:min) the forecast was 2:00 before I plugged in and 2:40 after I plugged in the EVSE. I don't know why the forecast gets worse after it gets the available current from the EVSE pilot signal. The car's charge timer also usually fails to charge on the morning of the 31st of the month. When the car is plugged in, you can manually start charging with Toyota's smart phone app "Toyota Entune" - available for Android and iOS.

While there are EVSEs that have internal timers, there are compatibility problems with the RAV4 EV. I think what happens is the car goes to sleep and does not see the EVSE activate in the middle of the night, so it doesn't charge. I don't know which EVSEs have this compatibility issue.

Dds02400 said:
Home EV charger which I can delay the charging starting time to take advantage the off peak r ate.

Thx

I used a wall switch timer and a 30 Amp relay in a plastic junction box. Others have used a 30Amp 240v Intermatic timer that is sold in Home Depot as a pool pump timer. I am also on a Super Off Peak rate from Midnite to 6Am and I don't want to mess with the buggy RAV4 Timer.

There are a couple of issues that might be relevant to consider.
If you are considering a 40 Amp EVSE you will have to find a solution that can carry more than 30 watts.
If you are charging with a 20 Amp EVSE (12 miles per charging hour) as I am, there may be situations where your car may not get fully charged before timer cuts off the juice. This is only relevant if you are going from a very low SOC to an extended charge. In those circumstances I manually start the charge early or go down to the garage and manually extend the timer at 6am.

I also have a Smart ED and while it's timer is a little better that the RAV's it is still departure based and I can't be sure to hit the
Super Off Peak rate with that timer either. I also have free charging at several places in my little beach town so I often use those EVSE's. I like just plugging in the J1772 at home or at one of those locations without messing with screens to enable immediate charging or disable the timer.

BTW, for the benefit of the OP and others, the reason why we're talking about EVSEs is because on all EVs and PHEVs w/J1772 (and Teslas), for L1 and L2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. The L1 brick w/cord and J1772 handle and J1772 charging stations are all EVSEs, NOT chargers.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630. Ignore the DC quick charge part as the Rav4 EV doesn't have that.

Second for the Siemens Versicharge, with on-board (2-4-6-8 hour delay). They claim to have a 70A version, but I've not seen it offered for sale. The one at Home Depot and Amazon is 30A, if that suits your needs. OpenEVSE can be built with to amperage needs, and has a real-time clock, so can be configured to only charge at cheap(er) rates.

Back