What is the RAV4 EV warranty?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

3-year/36,000-mile basic (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items), 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain, 8-year/100,000-mile battery. However, in order to maintain warranty coverage, the vehicle's powertrain and high-voltage systems must be serviced at an Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealership. Also, bear in mind that while some standard maintenance or repairs can be performed by any Toyota dealer, powertrain and high-voltage component maintenance must only be performed by an Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealer.

Also, it is important to mention that the 8 year - 100,000 mile battery warranty is regardless of charging mode. Conversely, what is NOT covered is the use of an incompatible charging device, and/or neglecting to follow correct charging procedures. In addition, reduction of traction battery capacity (the ability to hold a charge, which gradually decreases with time and use) is NOT covered under warranty.

Dsinned said:
In addition, reduction of traction battery capacity (the ability to hold a charge, which gradually decreases with time and use) is NOT covered under warranty.

@Dsinned, do you have a copy of the "fine print" of the warranty? I'm curious because
Some loss in capacity would be expected, but i would expect a significant loss in capacity to be covered (unless they found a legalese way out of it by limiting it only to a complete failure). To me, if the capacity dropped by more than 25% over 8 years it would begin to limit how I would able to use the vehicle.

I wonder how Nissan handled the pre-mature battery capacity loss for those Leaf's in very hot locations, i.e. AZ.

SparkyAZ, while I don't have any specific datapoints to offer nor do I want to be an alarmist, I really wouldn't be surprised if the capacity would be down 25% in 8 years.

Tesla Roadster owners are experiencing a 1.5-2% battery capacity lose per year. I would expect the RAV4 EV to have about the same. This is assuming you don't use the extended range charge mode very often.

Bill

The only possible leverage we have with respect to the Li-ion battery being "not covered" under warranty, is California's law pertaining to New vehicles sold in compliance with Emission Control mandate. This generally covers ALL components in the vehicles used to control, limit (or eliminate) noxious emissions. Technically, the traction motor battery is one of the overall components related to "emissions control". However, what is the definition of a "defective" component with respect to the battery? A regular 12V car battery is NOT covered under a new car warranty. A Pb acid battery degrades over time and will eventually need to be replaced after about 5 years in service - probably while the vehicle is still within warranty. However, as a normal "wear out" component, it must be replaced at the expense of the owner. I think the same rationale will be applied by EV manufacturers when the traction motor Li-ion battery eventually "wears out". It will need to be replaced at the owner's expense as well. A "premature" wear out, however, "might" still be covered under warranty . . . MAYBE!

Optimistically, our batteries will last a couple decades. By then, it should be possible to more cheaply "recondition" Li-ion batteries and the cost of a new replacement will come down to no more than what it typically costs today to "rebuild" an ICE. :mrgreen:

When I read the warranty during the sale, I believe it was identical to the LEAF.... No capacity warranty. Nissan recently introduced a 66.25% capacity warranty, which I will be in Phoenix on Jan 8 with Nissan execs to discuss. You're all welcome!

The Tesla Model S also does not have a capacity warranty.

Any "required" capacity warranty with respect to hybrids reflects the additional use of the gasoline motor when the battery degrades. This DOES NOT apply to pure EVs.

How much will the battery degrade in the Rav4? There is a wide range of factors that affect that. Leaving the car at 100% charge in the brutal heat unplugged would probably be the worst.

I know this post is old, but it applies to my question exactly.

Nissan and Chevy both now have battery capacity warranties. It would lead me to believe Toyota has some way to compete. I can't imagine they wouldn't.

I'm doing research with my dealer and some individual Toyota employees about acceptable capacity loss. I'll post back what I find. If someone else knows already, please reply with your information. :)

^^^
You can download the warranty booklet via http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals.

As for Nissan's capacity warranty, it's not very good. It won't really help those outside hot climates (e.g. Phoenix and TX). If you haven't yet, you can read about it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043.

Yea, I have seen the Nissan capacity warranty... but at "it's there" is my thing. You never know when you're going to get a slightly damaged or worsened component.

Thanks for the link! I have actually seen similar stuff to that warranty booklet, but the specific mention of the gradual capacity loss is insightful. I'm thinking there would never be any coverage. Based on what I see in the actual manual about "Avoiding Capacity Loss," it would lead me to believe the battery is ultra sensitive. Strange, I wonder why they make it sound that way.

Vach said:
... I'm thinking there would never be any coverage. Based on what I see in the actual manual about "Avoiding Capacity Loss," it would lead me to believe the battery is ultra sensitive. Strange, I wonder why they make it sound that way.

The battery in the Rav4 is warrantied for flaws, just not capacity. Nor are any Tesla products warrantied for loss of capacity (although they just decided to cover "bricked" batteries).

The battery is not "ultra sensitive", but it is sensitive to heat, just like you are and any other battery would be. If you have the car in a Phoenix asphalt parking lot every day in the summer, there is no question that the battery will degrade faster than in San Diego, perhaps even dramatically so.

The good news is that if you precool the car, it will also precool the battery before you ever drive it (which would ordinarily heat up the battery even more, as does charging). Charge the car when the batteries are cool (which is anytime the car is in READY mode), not after baking in a Phoenix garage at 100F+ all night. Don't charge the car to 100% ("extended charge") and then leave it sitting in the heat. Do your best to keep the battery cool and at about 50% charge for longest life. It's just that simple.

I hope we can get some basic data on when the automaticallyTMS actually operates in the heat.

1. While unplugged, ever?
2. While unplugged, at or above a certain SOC%?
3. Plugged in ever?

Hey Tony, thanks for all the info. I'm still waiting to hear back from my contact at Toyota... We'll see what they say.

I also really appreciate all your information on battery temperature. The manual, like I said, made it sound like it if I do anything other than optimal temperature to the battery I was going to destroy it. it is good to know that it is not the case.

I and also very curious about the temperature system inside the car. I know a few other BEVs are well documented but the RAV seems to be a bit of an exclusive.

I will post back when I hear back from my contact.

Hey everyone, I heard back directly from my contact in Toyota and got some more information on the warranty and specifically what kind of situations are covered.

First, I wanted to supply some information I received during the course of my conversation.

I know that there is a thread going on about this here, but I wanted to add the response in the same spot instead of making two different posts. Essentially, I was told that while there are some dealers that are allowing Warranty repairs and regular service outside of California, Toyota has made no obligations to do so and it is purely at the discretion of those dealers. Strange... because I don't understand why they would provide said training if they aren't planning on expanding? Especially since a different EV car is in their "concept car" section on their website. I dunno why they wouldn't make more of them and get more dealers in other states ready.

I was also told something else interesting. When asked about the Tesla collaboration, they told me that Toyota manufactures all of the parts themselves, but that Tesla simply provides the technology. This one I was skeptical about, but if they are telling customers this then they must be confident in such. Perhaps they simply have prototype technology from Tesla but are replicating it for other RAV4 EVs. Or at least, the next thousand or so they are going to make.

I did find out that the Battery replacement, including 'free' installation was $36,700, and the motor is between $11,000 and $15,000. That was expected I just asked for more of my curiosity. Haha.

Anyway, in regards to the warranty, I specifically wanted to find out about battery states and what is and isn't covered in specific scenarios, instead of just generic "manufacture defects only," I wanted real world situations of what would warrant a replacement of the battery.

I was told that if the battery stops holding a 'significant' charge, with your local dealership choosing what is significant, within the 8 year/100,000 mile range, it is considered defective. This value is vague on purpose, because they don't know what is considered unacceptable capacity loss over the course of 8 years. But at least they would acknowledge EXTREME loss. I was also told that unlike all the ther Hybrids and the Prius Plug-In in their line, all battery and drivetrain components are part of the drive/bumper to bumper general warranty, and not many parts are excluded from that. I can't remember the manual page but I can find it again and link to it if anyone is interested.

Another interesting thing I was told, is that vehicle damage caused by the official Leviton charger, if it was installed by Leviton, is 100% covered. So like unless your house is struck by lightning, or something crazy like a fire, if the charger damages the car Toyota considers that under the warranty and communicates with Leviton directly for it.

I asked about Battery Bricking, and I was told that if any components, as per manufacturing issue (you know, defect) also in turn damage and/or accidentally brick the battery, then that covers the battery and all other components as part of the original defect. This is normally a no brainer, but because the battery is so expensive I wanted to make sure. Obviously leaving the car sitting for months until the battery totally dies is not covered, but I asked that in a special case like that what could be done, and I was told that there is some special procedures that can be done to at least alleviate the cost a little. Apparently that's some kind of common "loyalty" thing with Toyota. I never heard of that.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. I realize that most of this may seem trivial or obvious to some people, but because I have had issues with vehicles in the past it is just in my nature to find out absolute specifics - especially on new technology.

I'm hoping it helps people other than me. :mrgreen:

Vach said:
I don't understand why they would provide said training if they aren't planning on expanding? Especially since a different EV car is in their "concept car" section on their website. I dunno why they wouldn't make more of them and get more dealers in other states ready.

I'm not sure what you mean about "expanding". They won't sell the Rav4 EV out of state, of make more of them because, 1) They lose tons of money on every sale, 2) They can't sell the ones they already made at the rate they require over three years, 3) The car was made for a singular purpose (and expanding wasn't it). Please review this thread about why Toyota built the Rav4 EV.

They are building a Scion iQ electric, primarily for Japan and in the USA as a possible car share car (like Daimler does with the Smart with Car2Go). There's a YouTube video of some Toyota weenie blathering on about how they built the Rav4 to "test the waters" and then see how it will expand. My personal opinion of most car "salesman" is that they are so full of BS, they can't separate truth from fact many times.

... they told me that Toyota manufactures all of the parts themselves, but that Tesla simply provides the technology. This one I was skeptical about, but if they are telling customers this then they must be confident in such. Perhaps they simply have prototype technology from Tesla but are replicating it for other RAV4 EVs. Or at least, the next thousand or so they are going to make.

All complete bullshit. Tesla wouldn't let these guys have access to their proprietary info, anyway. Sure, they're going to hand over the blueprint to their Model S and X (which is precisely the drivetrain in our cars).

I did find out that the Battery replacement, including 'free' installation was $36,700, and the motor is between $11,000 and $15,000. That was expected I just asked for more of my curiosity. Haha.

I like the free replacement part!!

I was told that if the battery stops holding a 'significant' charge, with your local dealership choosing what is significant, within the 8 year/100,000 mile range, it is considered defective. This value is vague on purpose

A whole lot of mumbo jumbo to say that "they'll let ya know". Which is why legislation is necessary to force manufacturers to do the right thing (like Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act). They don't offer an 8 year / 100,000 warranty because they like us... it's California law.

Another interesting thing I was told, is that vehicle damage caused by the official Leviton charger, if it was installed by Leviton, is 100% covered. So like unless your house is struck by lightning, or something crazy like a fire, if the charger damages the car Toyota considers that under the warranty and communicates with Leviton directly for it.

The Blink EVSE damaged my car... Toyota covered it. Sounds like pure low level salesman BS (buy our Leviton unit or you_might_not_be_covered)

I asked about Battery Bricking.... I was told that there is some special procedures that can be done to at least alleviate the cost a little. Apparently that's some kind of common "loyalty" thing with Toyota. I never heard of that.

You do realize that this means absolutely nothing, right? Are you going to pay "only" $35k for your bricked car? I would not. I would just scrap it and get another car. Then, I will be on every forum, letter to the editor, etc, telling everybody about their "special procedure" car.

As to price of the battery, that's quite a handsome profit for something that they pay $38,000 for the entire drivetrain to Tesla (who does in fact manufacture it in Fremont).

Vach said:
I was also told something else interesting. When asked about the Tesla collaboration, they told me that Toyota manufactures all of the parts themselves, but that Tesla simply provides the technology. This one I was skeptical about, but if they are telling customers this then they must be confident in such. Perhaps they simply have prototype technology from Tesla but are replicating it for other RAV4 EVs. Or at least, the next thousand or so they are going to make.
Hi Vach, Toyota is wrong. The 2nd generation of Rav4EV's battery packs/inverters/chargers/TMS, etc. etc. are manufactured at Tesla at the Menlo Park site. I was invited by one of the exec to tour Tesla's Menlo Park site last summer/fall. The entire area of where they used to assemble Roadsters were covered with assembly lines of making Rav4EV's internal organs. I am a witness.

Barring the Tesla parts thing, which I had stated my friend and I were specifically skeptical about (as she was just being told something from someone else, a game of Telephone if you will), I think everything else is useful information. I gathered something completely different about the conversation regarding Tesla, but that's me.

I choose not to be cynical and pessimistic about it and feel more confident about the warranty and the quality of my car after hearing these more specific answers, especially about cascading damage, instead of just feeling like I'm being spoon fed crap. Not everyone is a millionaire, per-se.

I am actually waiting for some more warranty information from my local dealer so I'll post back when I hear that, too.

^^^
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

I'm not sure what other warranty info you want from your dealer. The warranty is in the booklet I pointed you to.

Toyota has published some interesting videos on the Rav4 EV. See http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540#p3540.

I asked an extremely specific warranty scenario question and they had to do some research for me. Again I'd think people would be interested here. :)

Krystal said:
Hey Vach, do you know if they mentioned that the Charge Cable that comes with the car will be covered under any of the included warranties?

Just in case "Vach" doesn't pop his head in here anymore, I'll take a guess and say, "yes" if you don't drive over it, or plug it into 240 volts, or otherwise damage it.

Back