Swapping Chevy Volt for RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruin nut

I really like the Chevy Volt but I have been edging toward going all electric and the RAV4 EV has the range and features I need (and I don't have to spend 100k in the process). I just hope I'm making a wise choice. The new lease deal is just too much to pass up, and after test driving the RAV4 EV, I really liked it. I can't say it drove as well as my volt, but it was close. I also like the looks of the Volt better, but not by much.

So, I'll be off to Carson Toyota soon as I waive goodbye to the Volt (I found someone to take over my remaining 14 months on my lease). I have the non-HOV volt and I drive on the 110 Fasttrack lanes about 2-4 times per week. When those become free in March, 2014, I'll save even more. During rush hour, I pay $10 - $12 one way. :lol:

My gut feeling was go for it, one week of ownership later I am glad I made the purchase :D

Next order of business is to pay a visit to the dealer that agreed (over the phone) to service my car: Toyota of Morristown N.J.

Yes - an interesting dilemma. Should you give up the high electrical efficiency and smooth / well-engineered operation of the Volt for the all-EV goodness and range of the RAV4 EV?

I ultimately punted and bought both (as did dsinned). My wife drives the Volt and I drive the RAV4EV. We like both. They complement each other well in functionality (sedan vs small CUV).

Airton said:
My gut feeling was go for it, one week of ownership later I am glad I made the purchase :D

Next order of business is to pay a visit to the dealer that agreed (over the phone) to service my car: Toyota of Morristown N.J.

Just know that the dealer may be willing, but Toyota might stiff them for warranty reimbursement and the service payments for Toyota Care. I guarantee that will be the end of your service and warranty repairs there.

I think the transition will be easier for you guys ( Volt owners/ ex-owners) compared to the majority that are coming from an ICE or Hybrid.
You already have a home charging station. :D

we traded our 2011 toyota Prius Four for the RAV4 EV and after weeks of range anxiety,
i don't think i'll be coming back to another ICE. hybrid or a range extender
The only reason i'll be trading the RAV is for a another Electric with more range.
We have another SUV so a spontaneous long drive to San Francisco or even a cross country isn't a problem.

Good luck with the switch! ;)

tgreene said:
I ultimately punted and bought both (as did dsinned). My wife drives the Volt and I drive the RAV4EV. We like both. They complement each other well in functionality (sedan vs small CUV).
I did the same - adding a Rav4 to the mix, keeping the volt but the leaf is gone.

ehelmholtz said:
tgreene said:
I did the same - adding a Rav4 to the mix, keeping the volt but the leaf is gone.

We ended up getting two RAV4 EVs on lease (kept one gasser for long hauls) but now that I think about it two payments would have paid for one Tesla payment! :cry:

tgreene said:
Yes - an interesting dilemma. Should you give up the high electrical efficiency and smooth / well-engineered operation of the Volt for the all-EV goodness and range of the RAV4 EV?

I would be hard pressed to give up either one. I drive my Volt every week day to work and occasional overnighters. My wife drive the RAV4 EV during the week and it's my turn on weekends with two dogs in back. The $19k in gov't incentives was a real treat, and the HOV stickers definitely have some advantages! I charge both (alternately) from my Leviton Level 2 EVSE in my garage, and do so mostly after midnight when rates are lowest. With a rooftop PV system, I am very close to paying next to nothing for any household electricity usage. It just don't get any better than this! :mrgreen:

Which car is better? Each has one or two things that makes it better than the other, but overall, they are very close to a 50-50 split.

I also have a 2012 Volt and just bought a Rav4EV. The original plan was for me to drive the Rav and my wife to drive the Volt, but my wife really likes the Rav, so she drives that. I think they complement each other well. My 30 mile commute works well for the Volt and my wifes 50 mile commute works good for the Rav. In three years we will probably turn in the Rav and get a longer range EV. Probably still keep the Volt though.

I am ready to go. The only hold up us Ally Bank, which holds my current lease. As soon as the person who wants my car gets approved by them, he will get the Volt and I'll get the RAV4 EV. My only concern is that I won't hear from Ally by next Monday and that Toyota won't keep the same lease deal in place.

But they've extended it twice already and they need to move more units, so I feel confident that it will get keep going.

bruin nut said:
I am ready to go. The only hold up us Ally Bank, which holds my current lease. As soon as the person who wants my car gets approved by them, he will get the Volt and I'll get the RAV4 EV. My only concern is that I won't hear from Ally by next Monday and that Toyota won't keep the same lease deal in place.

But they've extended it twice already and they need to move more units, so I feel confident that it will get keep going.

At some point they roll into 2014 model year, so they might not be as anxious!!! The credits apply to model years.

TonyWilliams said:
bruin nut said:

At some point they roll into 2014 model year, so they might not be as anxious!!! The credits apply to model years.
The 2014 RAV4 EV is already on the CARB Carpool Sticker Eligible Vehicle List. Who knows what that means for when they will transition the inventory to 2014's....

Bruin nut, I hope you will call me before the 30th for quite a few reasons I can't get into here!
I have sight of the 2014's (same car of course, no changes) and I do not expect the current incentives to continue for lot of reasons... mainly good solid logic and loads of experience.

:roll:

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
bruin nut said:

The 2014 RAV4 EV is already on the CARB Carpool Sticker Eligible Vehicle List. Who knows what that means for when they will transition the inventory to 2014's....

...and sometimes, they are really in need of the "earned" credits for 2013's and not worried about the 2014's.
Sometimes, the credits are SO low because cars sold and registered in-state are worth 3x credits as cars sold out of the state. Ahem.

;)

Dianne said:
...and sometimes, they are really in need of the "earned" credits for 2013's and not worried about the 2014's.
Sometimes, the credits are SO low because cars sold and registered in-state are worth 3x credits as cars sold out of the state. Ahem.

;)

In 2018 model year, they won't have those "traveling" credits. The credits will only count in the actual CARB state that the car is sold in.

And the deal is done. Thanks Dianne at Carson Toyota. She said she moved 13 yesterday.

With my military discount, I got out of there without writing a check, unlimited miles on a 3 year lease, at $474 per month (including tax). Now someone else try to find that deal on a $50 k car with a Tesla power train. :D :mrgreen:

The Chevy Volt is going to its new home later today.

Back