Lease Paperwork Issues with Unlimited Miles

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having issues with my lease...

I negotiated an unlimited mile lease and took my vehicle home on 8/25. I received a letter from Toyota Financial informing me that there was an error on my lease agreement, specifically item #10 and that my lease was for 15,000 miles per year with a .15 cent per mile overage.

I should have known that this would be an issue...when I signed my lease paperwork the finance guy did not know how to input a lease with unlimited miles into his system. I should have known then this would be an issue and left but I didn't...I had him cross out the 15,000 write in UNLIMITED and cross out the .15 cent mileage overage item. I also had him initial both changes and I initialed as well. Apparently that was not enough! My copies of the paperwork note all these changes.

I am worried I am now stuck with a 15,000 mile lease and this will not work for me. I have contacted the dealer, spoken to Toyota FInancial and Toyota Customer service but all seem slow to do anything. What recourse do I have?

Well is your lease rate for the 15000K or the unlimited?

If I recall, the difference was about $30 a month or maybe less since that may have been with 12000K.

If you are getting it for the 15K rate, then it does seem the dealer can't just cross it out (or maybe they can, but the dealership needs to make up the difference).. so, anyway, if this is true, then maybe you can work out a deal with Toyota for them to lease you at the rate of the "unlimited"... the pricing is in threads all over this forum, not hard to find.

Sounds like a dealer error in not knowing how to enter the unlimited mileage pricing. Clearly Toyota offers such a program, so should be able to rectify. Or maybe the dealership should pay for the overage at the end of the lease, and figure out a way to charge you for the higher unlimited mileage lease rate during the lease.

Good luck.

Do any of the parameters of the lease match what they should be for unlimited miles? For example, there is a different residual for unlimited. If the figures are right, but flagged wrong in TFS's system then it should be easy to fix. If it was completely calculated at 15,000 mi/yr and only the to items were manually crossed out you will probably have a much harder time with it. I would do some homework and then go meet the finance guy face to face and get the general manager involved if you have to. Trying to get it done on the phone is probably not going to get you anywhere.

These were my lease terms below. I went with the $0 downpayment option for 455.53.

In terms of wear and tear you would only be responsible for tires, wipers and non-hybrid batter. The numbers below assume $3,999 down - if $0 down your payment would be $455.53

Selling price (as agreed) $47,525.00, Doc fee $80,
Acquisition Fee $650.00
Registration $399.
Gross Cap cost $48,175
Customer Cash $3,999 (if you chose)
Rebate $15,400 -
Total Cap reduction $17,003.51 -
Net Cap Cost $31,171.49.
MSRP $50,870.00
Residual $19,920.
Money Factor .00001
Base Payment $313.05
Monthly Tax $28.17
Payment $341.22

MonroviaRav4EV said:
Having issues with my lease...

I negotiated an unlimited mile lease and took my vehicle home on 8/25. I received a letter from Toyota Financial informing me that there was an error on my lease agreement, specifically item #10 and that my lease was for 15,000 miles per year with a .15 cent per mile overage.

I should have known that this would be an issue...when I signed my lease paperwork the finance guy did not know how to input a lease with unlimited miles into his system. I should have known then this would be an issue and left but I didn't...I had him cross out the 15,000 write in UNLIMITED and cross out the .15 cent mileage overage item. I also had him initial both changes and I initialed as well. Apparently that was not enough! My copies of the paperwork note all these changes.

I am worried I am now stuck with a 15,000 mile lease and this will not work for me. I have contacted the dealer, spoken to Toyota FInancial and Toyota Customer service but all seem slow to do anything. What recourse do I have?

i did my lease 08/28 and the finance guy doesn't know how to input unlimited miles as well.
He basically did everything that you guys did. crossing a 45,000/yr and writing unlimited plus having us initial the correction.
HE showed me a memo from Toyota which indicates the unlimited miles program.

He said, he's going to send us another paperwork if this doesn't go through.
So far, i made the payment for the 2nd month and i haven't receive any letter. So i believe the "unlimited" miles went through.

Call your finance person and straighten this out

$47,525 selling price is probably the lowest anyone has gotten on this board. If you had a $0 down $455.53 unlimited miles out the door you got a fantastic deal. I actually tried to use your figure as a comparable at the local dealer and they basically laughed at me. The dealer is most likely selling below cost, especially after you factor in the unlimited miles that you will put on it. One possibility is they reviewed it and are trying to recoup their costs after a deal gone bad. If its in the contract though you have a right to it.

rav4buyer said:
$47,525 selling price is probably the lowest anyone has gotten on this board. If you had a $0 down $455.53 unlimited miles out the door you got a fantastic deal. I actually tried to use your figure as a comparable at the local dealer and they basically laughed at me. The dealer is most likely selling below cost, especially after you factor in the unlimited miles that you will put on it. One possibility is they reviewed it and are trying to recoup their costs after a deal gone bad. If its in the contract though you have a right to it.

Many paying below $445 out the door inc tax. On purchases I have seen $1-4K off MSRP deals.

If anyone got $455 out the door unlimited miles no money down, you got a fantastic deal. Like I said, my local dealer would have none of it, but kudos if you got it.

I received the same letter from Toyota financial yesterday. :evil: They changed my lease from unlimited miles to 3/36000. I called Toyota financial and they indicated that there is no such thing as a unlimited miles lease. I begged to differ with the rep. I have an appointment soon with them and will follow up with the results (issue was escalated). I emailed the letter to my salesperson and asked him to follow up with Toyota Financial.

Seems that they are not familiar with how to fill out the lease with unlimited miles. At the time of signing - My excess mileage section was left blank - I checked with the salesperson who indicated this is how they do unlimited miles leases. he did indicate it is not common.

I feel I should be OK, we shall see. However, it is very frustrating to have this sort of issue. Makes me lose trust in Toyota.

I had the same issue when I was doing my lease. It shows on my paperwork that it's 15k miles and .15c after. I asked about that and the finance manager said that there was no way to input it in the system. He did the same thing and crossed it out and initialed/signed under it writing unlimited miles. On another sheet of paper, he noted that it was unlimited miles. I don't have that paper in front of me, but it's the paper they give you stating what the car is delivered with.

Is there any member here that has "Unlimited Miles" noted on their lease form? I wonder if Diana could chime in since she has been leasing these left and right.

I leased a Honda FIT EV. The mileage was listed at 12K and the excess mileage portion was filled in at 0 cents per mile.

I remember even saying to the finance guy, oh, this is unlimited right. He said yes, that is how they have to show it.

So no, not blank. So it can be done. It was new for Honda too.. The dealerships said there was a Honda person there "to help them go over how to fill out lease" so I assume part of it may be training on how to do the unlimited mileage input into system, etc.

(and thanks for letting me come by this forum even though just an EV cousin, not a true blue RAV 4EV'er, lots of very knowlegdeable folks here on everything electrical and then some... ;) )

Is there anyone in this thread/forum having a problem with a leased rav4 they got from ME? On unlimited miles?

It shows N/A in all 4 spots.
As in 'not applicable'.

fusiondynamics said:
Hi Dianne,

With your lease paperwork. Does it show unlimited miles or 15k and "0" zero per mile after that.

Hum.... so it seems that a lot of us may have a issue then.... The question now is how to go about getting it fixed. Also how do you check to see what the mileage terms are for your lease? Are you calling Toyota Financial?

I checked my paperwork this morning.
I have 45,000miles/ 36 months...and it's crossed out. Initials from the finance guy and myself beside it.

On the section EXCESS WEAR AND TEAR where it states, any miles in excess of 45,000 miles, i will pay "zero" dollars per mile.

So far, i haven't receive any letter from Toyota Financial and i'm on my 3rd month.

Best to take the best route immediately.
Not everyone involved with that deal in 3 years is still gonne be at that dealership in 3 years to remember what was said or done, and even if they are, recalling events from 3 years back in a small window of their time won't always be possible.

My best MOM advice here is to call TFS and make sure you have the lease you THINK you have. I'd ask for it in writing. Sorry but it's good advice even if the mother ship won't like it, you cannot rely on verbal in 3 years. If your contract isn't reading N/A in those spots, make sure THEY think it does at TFS. After all, what you signed is all they will see in 3 years.

PS: if you leased thru me, you don't have to worry about this. ;)

I leased a Rav4 Ev on September 19 unlimited mileage and the financial officer had the lease papers showing 36k miles and I told him my deal is unlimited and after checking with the manager he crossed it out the 36K and put N.A in section 10 of the lease under mileage in excess of ...... and under rate. I asked for documentation and I got a copy of Toyota financial service bulletin FSB#2013-LSE-097 which I can share or post to the forum if I know how. The FSB is two pages and titled "2013 RAV4 EV - NO MILEAGE PENALTY LEASE PROGRAM" and dated July 9, 2013. I hope Toyota don't negate on the deal.

bwt9.jpg

l called Toyota Financial and same issue. Is there any documentation that does some way say there is unlimited miles? Like the previous people. Toyota financial says that there is no way that unlimited miles was a option. Worst part of all the finance manager is no longer at the dealership I got my car.
Dianne?? You are probably the only person privy to this information. Anyway to get a scan of the documentation stating that it is indeed available and we are not talking about unicorns?

Back