SUPER EXTENDED RANGE RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

Anybody ever considered using the rear cargo area of your RAV4 EV for something like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...duromax/duromax-XP10000E-main-outdoors-lg.jpg

With a full tank of "gas", and a portable EVSE L2 charger rated for 240V - 30A, you could drive electrically for 140+ miles then recharge as needed to continue your trip. These things go for under $1000 on Amazon.com, and Costco, and can be used for camping trips and what not as well. I know, I know, this is kind of a ridiculous idea, but I'm talking about that once or twice a year trip to visit relatives out in the bonnies, or to go on vacation. Not exactly "green", but still better than driving a regular ICE car, stopping for gas every couple hours, the whole trip. With a carry along gas powered generator like this, with a few well placed public charging stations along the way, you may not even need to use it, but good to have along in case of emergencies. :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
Anybody ever considered using the rear cargo area of your RAV4 EV for something like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...duromax/duromax-XP10000E-main-outdoors-lg.jpg

With a full tank of "gas", and a portable EVSE L2 charger rated for 240V - 30A, you could drive electrically for 140+ miles then recharge as needed to continue your trip. These things go for under $1000 on Amazon.com, and Costco, and can be used for camping trips and what not as well. I know, I know, this is kind of a ridiculous idea, but I'm talking about that once or twice a year trip to visit relatives out in the bonnies, or to go on vacation. Not exactly "green", but still better than driving a regular ICE car, stopping for gas every couple hours, the whole trip. With a carry along gas powered generator like this, with a few well placed public charging stations along the way, you may not even need to use it, but good to have along in case of emergencies. :mrgreen:

Enterprise Rent a Car. Avis. Hertz. Budget.
simpler. less head ache. :lol:

If you really must use a generator, an inverter type like the Honda EU series is reported to work with the Tesla onboard chargers. The Tesla chargers are reportedly very picky about power quality. The linked unit and a Clipper Creek LCS-25 will work because it draws only 20A. A Tesla Model S Mobile Connector with an adapter from L6-30 (generator output) to 14-30 will overload the generator because it will pull 24A while the generator is rated for 22.9A only. This inverter generator is $4,000.

When choosing a generator, you have to make sure that the "continuous" duty rating is not exceeded. Then, you need a portable charging cable like the Tesla UMC that has a pilot signal that does not exceed that continuous load.

As correctly described above, the Tesla UMC currently only has three choices of amperage; 12, 24 or 40. The 2013 Nissan / Panasonic unit that I have can be adjustable from 6 to 25 amps in one amp steps.

Be careful that the continuous load rating of the generator capable at one electrical outlet. Most of the units that I've looked in the 10kW range have either a L14-30 or L6-30 receptacle for 240 volts. Those are both only 30 amp outlets.

This propane/natural gas generator is rated at 13.75kW and comes with a NEMA 14-50 amp plug (perfect for the Tesla UMC to operate at 40 amps):

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-13kw-Propane-Generator.asp?page=H04595

I have no idea if this generator's output power is "clean" enough for the Tesla onboard charger. Here's another choice:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eb10000

This one has the correct receptacle for a 50 amp plug (CS-6365), but the continuous duty cycle is only 37.5 amps.

It weighs 400 pounds and cost $5400.

For the cost of a generator/UMC that can refuel the Rav4 EV in 5 hours, you could add CALB batteries at about $500 per kWh:

http://www.kta-ev.com/CALB_a_k_a_Sky_Energy_s/1901.htm

$5000 would get 10kWh, or about 30 miles additional range.

Generators are a poor solution that defeat he benefits of an EV and make it worse than and ICE in all regards. The solution to using a generator it not using one. I know there are always people that insist on doing this but it almost always ends up being a regretful choice with much wasted time and money. Traveling with one big enough to be useful is a joke, second worst power idea is towing solar panels but people do both or at least try. Adding extra batteries is also nonsense. Best solution is to a vehicle that meets your needs or rent a car for the times it can't.

In the meantime I will be soon selling fan generators that will attach to a custom roof mount made for the RAV rack attachments. There will be five 6" fans that will make 15KW at 70 MPH and charge your RAV as your drive! I hope to sell this for about $1500 complete so let me know if anyone wants one.

4EVEREV said:
Generators are a poor solution that defeat he benefits of an EV and make it worse than and ICE in all regards. The solution to using a generator it not using one. I know there are always people that insist on doing this but it almost always ends up being a regretful choice with much wasted time and money. Traveling with one big enough to be useful is a joke, second worst power idea is towing solar panels but people do both or at least try. Adding extra batteries is also nonsense. Best solution is to a vehicle that meets your needs or rent a car for the times it can't.

In the meantime I will be soon selling fan generators that will attach to a custom roof mount made for the RAV rack attachments. There will be five 6" fans that will make 15KW at 70 MPH and charge your RAV as your drive! I hope to sell this for about $1500 complete so let me know if anyone wants one.

All of the options in the first paragraph have scenarios where they are useful; batteries, generators and solar. While these may not be options for you, they are nonetheless real options.

Your second paragraph is nonsense that detracts from your whole post.

Also, if you already have a backup generator for your home (like a permanently installed natural gas one) and the power is not clean enough for the Tesla onboard charger, you could use a double conversion UPS to clean up the power. Something like a used APC Smart-UPS RT 8000 (even without batteries) should do the job for up to about 30A if you use the hardwire port and not the L6 connections. The twist lock outlets have built-in circuit breakers that don't meet the 80% rule unless you're really only using 20-24A.

Of course, this is ridiculous overkill unless you absolutely have to charge your car during an extended blackout and the power coming out of the generator is not clean enough or stable enough in frequency to keep the car charging.

TonyWilliams said:
4EVEREV said:

All of the options in the first paragraph have scenarios where they are useful; batteries, generators and solar. While these may not be options for you, they are nonetheless real options.

I am speaking in the sense of hauling around a generator in the car NOT using one where needed in a stationary situation like a remote vacation home etc. . My second paragraph is a joke, we all know we are close to over unity but I guess you missed that :lol:

4EVEREV said:
TonyWilliams said:
4EVEREV said:

I am speaking in the sense of hauling around a generator in the car NOT using one where needed in a stationary situation like a remote vacation home etc. . My second paragraph is a joke, we all know we are close to over unity but I guess you missed that :lol:

You had me going! :lol:

That hybridizing trailer is pretty interesting, and close to a thought I had - couldn't they offer a battery pack trailer, that would plug into and recharge from a standard evse, and when connected to a vehicle would plug in via the charge port and offer about double the range, plus the extra cargo capacity for all your camping equipment or whatever. I'm not really thinking it would have many purchasers, but might be a great thing to rent -

Tadol said:
That hybridizing trailer is pretty interesting, and close to a thought I had - couldn't they offer a battery pack trailer, that would plug into and recharge from a standard evse, and when connected to a vehicle would plug in via the charge port and offer about double the range, plus the extra cargo capacity for all your camping equipment or whatever. I'm not really thinking it would have many purchasers, but might be a great thing to rent -

I know some people that have a 85kwh battery trailer. Also a zero emission generator:

http://www.greencarreports.com/image/100373605_turbine-powered-nissan-leaf-range-extender-charger

Back