Colorado $6,000 State Tax Rebate - Success?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

I bought my 2012 Rav4 EV at the end of last year and claimed the full $6K rebate on my tax return. After five complete denials and five protests, they finally agreed to refund the $6K to me. Then, a $4,995 check came in the mail. WTF? :cry:

Apparently, they do the math different from me. Has anyone received the full amount in Colorado??????

For 2012, the rebate pays the difference in price between an equivalent ICE model minus any other rebates times 85% with a maximum of $6K. I figured my full rebate was a "no brainer."

Here is my math: MSRP for v6 Limited 2WD - $27,250 (equivalent ICE). MSRP for 2012 RAV4 EV - $49,800 (I paid MSRP so none of the current incentives for us early adopters). Price difference: 22,550. The Federal rebate must be removed from that to get $15,050. 85% of that is $12,792. Clearly more than the $6000 so I should get that full amount.

Surprise, the geniuses at the state got the number wrong. Not sure I should spend the effort getting the $1,005 they cheated out of me, but this sucks!!!!

Cash the check! That's money in the bank! Consider yourself better off in Colorado than in CA where the rebate is only $2500.

I will be filing for this refund next year. We got the rebate for our Volt with little issue. Any tips you can give me to hopefully make the process easier for us? BTW, your math looks spot-on as far as I can tell from what I have read. I got less that the 6K for my Volt, but it was exactly as I had calculated. $5800-ish IIRC.

FYI the formula changed this year for Colorado though either the old formula or the new one should give you the full $6K: http://www.electricridecolorado.com/get_set/my_home/ready-your-home/colorado-tax-credits

Well I called the tax folks in Colorado. It was difficult to finally get through to a real person. Once I did, I was explained that I did get the full $6K and the check for the lower amount was just because I owed some taxes. They had sent out an incorrect statement earlier saying I would get a $6K check, which is where the confusion arose.

False alarm. Anyone in Colorado that bought a RAV4 EV new in 2012 will receive the full $6K. Additionally, folks who buy a new or used one in 2013 will receive the full $6K. From now on, it will only be used purchases since buying new does not receive the incentive to out of state buyers.

Back