Dealers who will service the RAV4EV not in CA

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springs

I am new to the forum and I am sorry if this was asked before.

Is there some sort of list of dealers what will support the vehicle if you don't live in CA?

I am in Clarksburg MD and the local dealer here told me to buy it in CA. No mention on Toyota Care after the fact.

Great service BTW...

Thanks

My local dealer (Hoselton Toyota) has been fine with servicing so far....but there is no real service to be done if nothing goes wrong.

So far they have
changed the reverse beep
rotated tires
checked fluids
ran health checks

I'm not sure if they actually have interfaced with the Tesla firmware. I think the health checks were on the Toyota side. I will have to ask on my next service at 10k.

Mike

Mike, are they providing those services free of charger under the Toyota Car Care program? Mine did until Toyota Corporate denied their claims for the tire rotation and "health" checks they performed. At least I got two free tire rotations out of it, but my dealer said they would have to start charging ($89.99!) from now on. No thanks. I can rotate my tires myself or have Discount Tire do it a lot cheaper.

I've been in twice...once was to turn off the rear beep and the second time was the 5k (under the toyota care).

So maybe I just have not been enough for corporate to catch up with me. That being said, the local toyota has treated me like a rock star. Lots of questions on the car and requests to pop the hood. The parts manager showed me how he can order parts (and pulled up the tesla motor as an example).

I guess I will keep going to them until it becomes an issue. There's not much real "service" on these cars so I plan to replace the tires with something quieter next year and then I'll start going to that place for rotations.

Kohler - how are the batteries holding up in your testing?

Mike, my dealer too treated me very well and were extremely interested in the RAV4EV and wanted to do everything possible to service the vehicle and keep me happy. They even let me know when a Toyota Field Guy was going to be in town with Tesla Diag equipment to be able to update my software, which he did for free (never even submitted anything to corporate, not that they should for a SW upgrade).

Battery tests are doing fine. If I average all 8 cells (running under 4 different scenarios, 2 cells each), I have lost only 8% capacity after 55k miles. I should have another data point this week as we cross 60k miles.

springs said:
Found a California dealer with 4 2013s in stock. Expressed my interest and they said sales would contact me. That was 8 hours ago.
If you want a lease with the full promotional discount, be prepared to give a California address and let them register it in California and pay the California sales tax (minimum 7.5%, but depends on the address used register it). Otherwise, you will not get the lease incentive from Toyota. This is a new way they are trying to discourage out of state buyers.

The best course of action for out-of-state folks now would probably be a used RAV. I just did a quick search on cars.com and found one with 5k mikes for $30k. Without CA incentives, that's hard to beat. With such low demand and general ignorance about the car's existence, those prices are only headed lower. Once they get into the low 20's, then my Volt is going out to pasture.

I have a friend who lives in CA... but the most I would ask him to do is be a bag man. Or maybe drive me to the dealership to make sure I picked the "right one".

I was looking to do an outright purchase. Seeing as they have 4 2013s I would think they might be amenable to a good "cash and carry price". Especially since its already November.

Am I way off?

springs said:
I was looking to do an outright purchase. Seeing as they have 4 2013s I would think they might be amenable to a good "cash and carry price". Especially since its already November.

Am I way off?

Yes. The incentive is from corporate so the dealer is getting the equivalent of full price. If you purchase or are from out of state, there is no corporate incentive. You will pay close to MSRP of $50K for a purchase even if in-state.

I exchanged emails with a local dealer. He of course reccomended at Prius Plug In. I explained that I was interested in a Poor Man's Tesla X. He wished me luck and said he was sorry he could not get it for me.

I then emailed to ask if they would be interested in doing the Toyota Care Service.

From the sales manager:
"Yes, we can service the RAV4 EV here."

I guess that is one hurdle cleared.

TonyWilliams said:
springs said:
From the sales manager:

Just know that the dealer can say that, and actually perform the work, however Toyota may deny payment to the dealer for "Toyota Care" or warranty.

I specifically asked if they could service it under Toyota Care.

Me:
"Would you be willing to do the Toyota care service there?

I know there us a tesla shop on Gude."

Dealer:

Talked to a industry peer (Someone I program with every so often) "well that dealer ship is right near my Dad's home, and Thanksgiving is coming up."

Getting hopeful.

Hi there, I live in Montgomery County, MD and I have a RAV. I called before I bought mine as well and asked if they would service the car. They said they have to service every Toyota.

I am still skeptical that they will, especially if corporate is not paying them for services rendered. I have not hit 5k miles yet, so I have not even attempted to have service done.

springs said:
TonyWilliams said:
springs said:
From the sales manager:

Just know that the dealer can say that, and actually perform the work, however Toyota may deny payment to the dealer for "Toyota Care" or warranty.

I specifically asked if they could service it under Toyota Care.

Me:
"Would you be willing to do the Toyota care service there?

I know there us a tesla shop on Gude."

Dealer:

Talked to a industry peer (Someone I program with every so often) "well that dealer ship is right near my Dad's home, and Thanksgiving is coming up."

Getting hopeful.

Yes, I know what they may say and actually believe. Reality may be different.

Lets be serious for a second here. People move. People drive out of state. I would think it likely that they would be some federal statues that state that they are FULLY LIABLE to provide service. Especially warranty service. That is why we buy cars from real manufactures.

From Toyota's website
Covers normal factory scheduled service performed at an Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealer for 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first.The new Toyota vehicle cannot be part of a rental or commercial fleet, or a livery or taxi vehicle. See participating dealer for complete plan details. Valid only in the continental United States and Alaska.

From Dealers Website...
*Covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first. The new Toyota vehicle cannot be part of a rental or commercial fleet, or a livery or taxi vehicle. See participating dealer for complete plan details. Valid only in the continental United States and Alaska.

This implies that they are going to have to have Toyota Dealerships EV certified outside of CA... doesn't it?

Notice... continental United States and Alaska.

Also... Tesla Seems to think that it doesn't cost that much to service.
http://www.teslamotors.com/service#/service-plans

I pay $600 a fraking service on my Honda Accord Hybrid.

springs said:
Lets be serious for a second here. People move. People drive out of state. I would think it likely that they would be some federal statues that state that they are FULLY LIABLE to provide service. Especially warranty service.
That is why we buy cars from real manufactures.

ToyotaDenyRav4EVwarrantyOutOfState.jpg

(mods, how do you resize this image?)
here is what I was told by my dealer in western PA. Tech told me the corporate actually called upper management and told them to be hands off of RAV4 EVs. "we won't get a dime from Toyota if we touched that car." that very same day they asked me to return the loaner ASAP, nicely... :lol:
What we can learn from this is that Toyota is not a real manufacturer. :lol:

Virtually everybody who bought the car when new signed an agreement that you would have the car serviced in California.

Obviously, there will be exceptions. A car that is sold out of state as a used car might not be held to this agreement. Just because you move out of California is no concern to Toyota, unless they are sued into submission, maybe for inhibiting interstate commerce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

I wonder how much of this you could get the Federal Gov to do the work for you of forcing them to buck up.

I sure hope us out-of-staters can band together to force Toyota do warranty works as they are suppose to.

Back