quick charging

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

My Leaf lease will be ending soon and I'm considering leasing a Rav4. Will the Rav4 have a quick charger that can be used at the same places where I do quick charging with my Leaf?

No, it doesn't. There's an effort here on the forum to create one, but it's in its infancy, and even if it does come to pass, it will be a DIY, damn the warranty, kind of thing.

The RAV4EV DOES charge at up to 10kW (40a), so you can add miles faster from a standard J1772, although most public stations only go up to 30a (6.2kW or 7.2kW depending on voltage).

davewill said:
it will be a DIY, damn the warranty, kind of thing.
It's not that bad! I'm sure the mod will be fully reversible (especially since a lot of the Ravs out there are leased), and the law prevents any denial of warranty benefits unless it can be demonstrated that the mod was the cause for the damage. It will likely be pretty costly to add, though, since ChaDeMo inlets don't come cheap.

fooljoe said:
It's not that bad! I'm sure the mod will be fully reversible (especially since a lot of the Ravs out there are leased), and the law prevents any denial of warranty benefits unless it can be demonstrated that the mod was the cause for the damage. ...
Perhaps not, but you can't deny it will be a hack, and that Toyota would give you the hairy eyeball if they knew about it, and you were trying to make a warranty claim on the battery.

davewill said:
fooljoe said:
It's not that bad! I'm sure the mod will be fully reversible (especially since a lot of the Ravs out there are leased), and the law prevents any denial of warranty benefits unless it can be demonstrated that the mod was the cause for the damage. ...
Perhaps not, but you can't deny it will be a hack, and that Toyota would give you the hairy eyeball if they knew about it, and you were trying to make a warranty claim on the battery.

Toyota would likely flat out deny any battery claim, and it would be on you to prove your "hack" didn't damage the battery. They aren't in the Rav4 EV business to spend any more money than they have to.

Could you successfully challenge Toyota? Maybe, but all they would need is a Toyota engineer sitting on the witness stand to say how the car was never designed for anything more than 29 amps (which, of course is total BS) and that 30 amps or greater could make the battery fail.

Good luck at that point, because you're going to have to counter the "experts" with your experts to show that 125 amps, or more, didn't damage the battery in any way and that Toyota should repair your battery under warranty.

bernie82 said:
My Leaf lease will be ending soon and I'm considering leasing a Rav4. Will the Rav4 have a quick charger that can be used at the same places where I do quick charging with my Leaf?
If you have 3.3 kW OBC now the RAV4 will almost seem like a QC when supplied with 30+ amps. Along with the much better range I suspect you will like the RAV4 better.

TonyWilliams said:
Could you successfully challenge Toyota? Maybe, but all they would need is a Toyota engineer sitting up their to say how the car was never designed for anything more than 29 amps (which, of course is total BS) and that 30 amps or greater could make the battery fail.
Except a Toyota engineer would know nothing at all about the battery. You'd need a Tesla engineer for that, and how's a Tesla engineer going to say with a straight face that their battery can't handle 1C when the same cells in the Model S can handle almost 2C when Supercharging? Of course, good luck getting a Tesla engineer up on the stand...

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:
Could you successfully challenge Toyota? Maybe, but all they would need is a Toyota engineer sitting on the witness stand to say how the car was never designed for anything more than 29 amps (which, of course is total BS) and that 30 amps or greater could make the battery fail.
Except a Toyota engineer would know nothing at all about the battery. You'd need a Tesla engineer for that, and how's a Tesla engineer going to say with a straight face that their battery can't handle 1C when the same cells in the Model S can handle almost 2C when Supercharging? Of course, good luck getting a Tesla engineer up on the stand...

You're applying "engineering" logic to the equation, when they will be in court to win.

You would be the hack who knows nothing, and the Toyota engineer would represent the largest manufacturer in the world. He would know "everything" as far as a Toyota car is concerned.

You would have to being a Tesla engineer to counter the Toyota guy, and guess what? That will NEVER happen.

So, you're left to outside PAID expert witnesses to counter Toyota. Good luck. Again, yes you could win, but it is by no means a sure thing.

Back