Buy a Certified Used Rav4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbaker

I'm an "Out-of-Stater" (Oregon) looking to purchase a Rav4 EV and it seems like the best route to go is used.

Is there any significant advantage if the Rav4 EV is Certified since I'll be out of cali? Does the "Certification" supersede the "Only in Cali" service requirement and allow me to force service onto any Oregon dealer?

Just wondering if it actually does anything for me. Maybe I'm missing some other benefits. Also do certified used vehicles retain toyota care?

I don't think it will make a difference for this car. As for the Toyota care it's hit or miss depending on the dealership, (Toyota will not pay the dealer) I paid for the tire rotation @ my dealer I know someone in south jersey that did not. If you can save $ buying a non certified car go for it.

I think the only thing with "Certified Used Cars" is some extra warranty coverage that might be added. Not sure if that Certified warranty covers anything "EV". I would rather get a used EV that had a ToyotaCare extended warranty that adds to the 36mo/36k basic, 60mo/60k powertrain and 8yr/100k battery warranty for things such as the onboard charger, infotainment system and other areas that are not covered by the above basic warranty areas. Not sure if the notorious "Gateway ECU" is considered part of the powertrain 60/60k coverage. I know that if I keep my Rav4 EV longer than the 36mo/36k period I will purchase additional Toyota Care warranty coverage.

Toyota is very specific about coverage... an "Authorized Toyota Rav4 EV Dealership" must be used for power train and high voltage component service.

I know when talking to my EV tech at the local dealership, I was told that a car on the east coast who's owner moved after purchase, had battery problems and had to have the car shipped back to California for battery replacement. Not sure who paid for the shipping :shock: Toyota is clear that they don't want to support this car outside of CA.

Good luck!

I am about to take a Rav4 EV 2013 with 4K miles on trade. The car is perfect, absolutely perfect. Pearl white. The result of trying to get your wife out of a $75,000 Landcruiser and a $800 a month fuel bill and into a Rav4 EV - something that sounded good at first, but with 3 kids and sports and a crazy home life, it seems trying to remember to charge and the willingness to bother to charge seems a daunting task when you wish you had your old Landcruiser back.
:roll:

I'm trying to do the guy a favor... and sell the car at $33K. That's a perfect car for CO where there's a size-able tax credit. Or, to Oregon, no sales tax. WA state, is there tax on an electric car is the car is used?

Anyway, contact me if you're interested. I wish I needed a 2nd one!!
Dianne

Back