Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 am 

I came across my first parked Model X in person today, at Pogonip (Santa Cruz, CA) and took some pictures of the two vehicles together. Unfortunately, they're not parked level to each other, but still fun to see. I still like the form factor of the RAV4, but it sure would be nice to upgrade our 130 miles / 45 kWh to their 260 miles / 90 kWh, all wheel drive and supercharger access! (Of course, at the height of the Toyota discounts, you could buy four RAV4's for one P90D, if it had been available.)

Last edited by Incredulocious on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:36 am 

Ha, and I *just now* found out that my friend received delivery of his white Model X. I'd ask for a test drive and take some pictures alongside his (heh, maybe do an embarrassing drag race between my RAV4 and his Model X too), but he had it delivered to his home in Poth, Texas rather than in San Jose, CA.

Phooey!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:26 pm 

Great pictures, Incredulocious!

I'm surprised at how similar the heights are for each car. I've been telling my wife that she's probably going to be sitting lower in the Model X than she has been in her Rav4 EV, but it looks like I was wrong. The Model X looks short, but I guess it isn't!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:47 pm 

Model X looks smaller than I expected when placed next to the RAV4EV

Now if we could just swap in the 70 or 90 kWh battery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 am 

I went to the test drive in Sunnyvale on 2/1/16 (my brother has signature reservation, he's also a Rav4 EV owner).

It's very different from the Rav4 EV; as it should be since it costs many times more. Firstly, the acceleration is incredibly fast; it can to do to the Rav4 what we do to most ICE cars off the line. It's the fastest car I've ever been in period. It's almost scary; like driving your own private roller coaster!!! Handling is superior; feels very solid like top European makes. Re-gen is much stronger, you have the option to select stronger or weaker modes (even the weak mode is much stronger than in the Rav4 ... this took a bit getting used to, and something that I'm not sure I like since I've gotten used to "gliding" in the Rav4).

Novelty items: Falcon wings and see thru roof. Yes, they're really pretty COOL ... but not very pragmatic. Surprisingly, I really liked the roof. It reminded me of driving in a convertible, but without the wind blowing. The down side is the wimpy little sun visor that's provided and stored above the door jam ... totally cool ... but almost useless ... just like riding in a convertible; wear a hat! Much has been said about the doors ... IMHO, how you like the doors says a lot about you, so you need to see it in person and form your own judgment.

Storage and carrying capacity. To me, this is a major reason for buying a SUV in the first place. The X beats the Rav4 in passenger seating, but it's not quite ideal. The third row seats give option to carry 6 or 7 passengers, but the space is suitable for kids and petite frames only (or a short ride under 15 minutes). The second row seats (we drove the 6 seat model) was underwhelming. Although already "improved" and made in-house by Tesla in a separate factory in Fremont, it was still not that comfortable. Yes, much more comfortable than the seats in the Rav4, but not up to the standards of an $120,000 +++ car. It felt like a high end office chair, but without armrests (what! ... yep no armrest for 6 seater). The "frunk" is roomy definitely wished we had one, but everything else was just ok. Most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car and move stuff around in it, and here's where I think the Rav4 has it beat. I've moved a bed (twin size mattress and box sp.), a 7 foot A frame ladder, numerous boxes and many cubic yards of peat moss ... and after I get my JdeMO installed, I plan to carry all my gear and go scuba diving in Monterey. Could I do that in an X? Maybe I could, but I wouldn't!

Sorry to any Tesla fans if my "observations" sound negative because it really is an AWESOME car with performance that will blow away most performance cars that cost much, much more! At that selling price, it's not going up against Toyotas, but Audi, BMW, and Lexus.

Would I ever buy one? .................. maybe in a year or two?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:36 pm 

Luckyduckie wrote:
Most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car and move stuff around in it, and here's where I think the Rav4 has it beat. I've moved a bed (twin size mattress and box sp.), a 7 foot A frame ladder, numerous boxes and many cubic yards of peat moss ... and after I get my JdeMO installed, I plan to carry all my gear and go scuba diving in Monterey. Could I do that in an X? Maybe I could, but I wouldn't!

We do have fellow RAV4 EV owners with both Tesla Model S and X (and Tesla Roadster, too).

I also have a Model S, but the RAV4 EV is my preferred daily driver (with JdeMO and a future larger battery pack coming).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
(with JdeMO and a future larger battery pack coming)

Oh! Such a tease!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:25 am 

LuckieDuckie: you completely forgot the mention one key difference between Rav4EV and X - Autopilot. To me that alone throws away all other EVs out of any contention except Model S. You need to drive it with AP turned on for a reasonably long drive for you to get over the initial nervousness. It takes a day or two of getting used to it and only then it will sink in as to how mind blowing and game changer it is.

Tony: how is it that I don't see you in the TMC forum?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:18 am 

Incredulocious wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
(with JdeMO and a future larger battery pack coming)

Oh! Such a tease!!

Huh? Did I miss something? Still waiting on my 2 JdeMOs - do I need to sign up somewhere for 2 new battery packs?!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 am 

mkjayakumar wrote:
Tony: how is it that I don't see you in the TMC forum?

Well, that's an interesting question. I was kicked off that forum about two years ago.