Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Running the Rav4 low on energy (Turtle Mode)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm 

Running out of energy in any new electric vehicle has more warnings than seem necessary.

The Rav4 has Low Battery Warning (LBW) concurrent with 2 illuminated fuel bar segments out of 16 total, then Very Low Battery (VLB) with one bar, and then Climate Control Limited (CCL) with no bars, and finally our good friend Turtle mode (Low Battery Charge, Drive Power is Limited... LBC).

This all takes place in about 15-20 miles. Somebody will notice that I also got a flat tire.

Not pictured: Low Battery Warning (LBW):

Very Low Battery (VLB):

Climate Control Limited (CCL) during VLB:

LBC / Turtle:

Video with flat tire whilst entering LBC / Turtle mode:

Post subject: Re: Running the Rav4 low on energy (Turtle Mode)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Moderator

Thanks for posting this info and the screen displays. Most of us may never see them in our cars, but it is nice to know how they would appear before any such low battery situations actually occur.

Because of "range anxiety" as the most pervausive issue with pure electric vehicle, I'd say Toyota got it right. Not only do we have the longest battery range - remarkably so for an SUV - but we have all these "warning" messages on the dash to help us from running out of juice in the real world.

Turtle mode? Appropriately named! You just gotta love it!!! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Dsinned on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 pm 

Dsinned wrote:
Thanks for posting this info and the screen displays. Most of us may never seen them in our cars, but it is nice to know how they would appear before any such low battery situations occur.

Because of "range anxiety" as the most pervausive issue with pure electric vehicle, I'd say Toyota got it right. Not only do we have the longest battery range - even remarkably so for an SUV - we have all these "warning" messages on the dash to help us from running out of juice in the real world.

Turtle mode? Appropriately names! You just gotta love it!!! :mrgreen:

You're welcome.

Toyota's warnings are virtually IDENTICAL to the Nissan LEAF, including Turtle mode. The only one lacking is the climate control warning.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 am 

Rav4 EV has a turtle mode? That's the funniest mode name I have ever heard! The snapshots are really good. Never seen anything like this before in my car. Now even more excited for rav4 ev.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 am 

Tony,

Sorry to ask a silly question but how do you post photos to this forum? I understand that it's more like inserting a link and not uploading the image. Do you use a photo sharing site?

Never Mind I think I got it

Last edited by Damchi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 am 
Site Moderator

Today, while taking several short trips, I got the "Low Battery" warning right at 16 miles remaining on my range gauge (with the climate control off). Then, the display returned to normal after several seconds. Shortly after that, when I parked, it warned me again. I must of missed this info in the owners manual, but good to know nevertheless. :mrgreen:

Btw, is it safe to assume that each "bar" on the range gauge is roughly equivalent to 8 miles of remaining range before turtle mode? Or, does that totally depend on the "learned" efficiency of the car (i.e. the average mileage per kWh)? I suspect the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Btw, is it safe to assume that each "bar" on the range gauge is roughly equivalent to 8 miles of remaining range before turtle mode? Or, does that totally depend on the "learned" efficiency of the car (i.e. the average mileage per kWh)? I suspect the latter.

Sure, if you're going 3.4 miles/kWh (about 60mph on level ground) with a normal (80%) charge (again, assuming my 37.6 kWh useable storage is correct). You need to reset the economy meter every time you want to use it for actual data:

8 * 16 = 128 miles

For an extended range mode charge (100%):

8 * 20 = 160 miles

Once battery degradation becomes a factor sometime next year, we'll have calculations for that, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Today, while taking several short trips, I got the "Low Battery" warning right at 16 miles remaining on my range gauge (with the climate control off).

This is going to be hard to overcome, but you might not get 16 miles on the GOM every time you get LBW. I doubt the two are connected.

What is connected (and different than LEAF) is that the second fuel bar segment is Low Battery Warning (LBW), and the first fuel bar segment is Very Low Battery (VLB).

When there are no fuel bars remaining, you will get Climate Control Limited (CCL) on the lower center console.

Then, Turtle and limited power. GET SAFELY OFF THE ROAD NOW !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Moderator

When the Turtle idiot light turns on, assuming everything else is off (climate control, headlights, etc), what little amount of range is left? Less than a mile? 1/2 mile? Just a few 100 yards? Is this documented anywhere?

I have not run the car to dead, nor do I intend to, but the Turtle mode range in a LEAF can be several hundred feet to about half a mile on level ground.

Mostly it depends on the power draw. The BMS will protect the battery and shut down earlier at higher (although quite limited) power.

I did hit turtle this weekend, going up a steep, long grade, although very slowly (about 15-25mph). It actually went to turtle while still showing one fuel bar.

Just a heads up. If you want a "normal" Turtle routine that I outlined in posts above, that will only happen on level roads with low power useage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 pm 

Damchi wrote:
Tony,

Sorry to ask a silly question but how do you post photos to this forum? I understand that it's more like inserting a link and not uploading the image. Do you use a photo sharing site?

Never Mind I think I got it

Could you tell me how you did it. I am trying to post a pic.

In advance thanks!!