Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yikes!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 pm 

Oh Doug. I'm sorry! It doesn't look that bad though. Of course, I'd be horrified if it were my car so again, my condolences) ...

Hope it's back to health soon!

949-689-0717 cell
310-522-2317 office
In my garage:
2013 Rav4 EV Blue #2030 & 2014 Rav4 EV blue #3473
2012 Prius PlugIn
My son is a USMC Sergeant & am SO proud of him!

Post subject: Re: "Oh the humanity" Rear ended on I-5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 pm 

Scott1258 wrote:
So sorry - every proud owners nightmare.

Post up what happens with the insurance co and the body shop. With some insurance co they will total the car on the electric cars and hybrids even for small damages like yours. They don't want to be liable for damages down the road if something goes wrong with the battery, motor, electronics from the body work. I'm sure we would all be interested in how it's handled for you.

Best wishes your way!

Well it is all behind me now.
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/153589509
The body shop did a great job, and very EV friendly. It did have to go into the heated paint booth, but at 80 degrees for 48 hours. The shop owner was very understanding of my heat concerns and allowed full access during the process. My biggest eye opener was when I stopped by during the body work, and saw the ECU unbolted and swung forward to allow for room to work on the quarter panel. Luckily the connectors remained attached, because ESD, electrostatic discharge, was a real concern of mine. Obtaining parts wasn't a problem. The body shop contacted a local Toyota dealer who had them shipped up from the bay area. Color match is outstanding, perhaps better than factory when comparing plastic painted parts and body painted parts. Grand total was $6000. I can post the invoice and parts cost if anyone is interested. Zero out of pocket and a rental car for a week… which was the real crime, the Subaru Forrester Automatic. Once you go EV, you can't go back.

By the way, the other party was cited, insured, but attempted to make up a story of how it all happened. The State Patrol, and both insurance companies saw through that BS. Pictures don't lie. I now have a dash camera installed.

ClipperCreek CS-60
EV project Blink EVSE 6.6

The original hybrid, a sailboat, with plans to convert to elec propulsion/)..../)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 am 

A dash camera, thats a great idea! If the cops can have it, so should we. Gonna have to look into that one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 am 

doug401 wrote:
Scott1258 wrote:
So sorry - every proud owners nightmare.

Post up what happens with the insurance co and the body shop. With some insurance co they will total the car on the electric cars and hybrids even for small damages like yours. They don't want to be liable for damages down the road if something goes wrong with the battery, motor, electronics from the body work. I'm sure we would all be interested in how it's handled for you.

Best wishes your way!

Well it is all behind me now.
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/153589509
The body shop did a great job, and very EV friendly. It did have to go into the heated paint booth, but at 80 degrees for 48 hours. The shop owner was very understanding of my heat concerns and allowed full access during the process. My biggest eye opener was when I stopped by during the body work, and saw the ECU unbolted and swung forward to allow for room to work on the quarter panel. Luckily the connectors remained attached, because ESD, electrostatic discharge, was a real concern of mine. Obtaining parts wasn't a problem. The body shop contacted a local Toyota dealer who had them shipped up from the bay area. Color match is outstanding, perhaps better than factory when comparing plastic painted parts and body painted parts. Grand total was $6000. I can post the invoice and parts cost if anyone is interested. Zero out of pocket and a rental car for a week… which was the real crime, the Subaru Forrester Automatic. Once you go EV, you can't go back.

By the way, the other party was cited, insured, but attempted to make up a story of how it all happened. The State Patrol, and both insurance companies saw through that BS. Pictures don't lie. I now have a dash camera installed.[/quote]

Does the dash camera takes video of the rear as well?

All the while i thought it's only recording the front of the dash ( GoPro camera)

2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White