Autodimming of Multiscreen

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocaroth

Hi All- My wife's Prius screen auto dims at night but my new RAV4EV doesn't. It's too bright even dimmed down. Is there a setting I've missed or does Toyota have to add on the feature that makes it adjust for day and night modes?

jocaroth said:
Hi All- My wife's Prius screen auto dims at night but my new RAV4EV doesn't. It's too bright even dimmed down. Is there a setting I've missed or does Toyota have to add on the feature that makes it adjust for day and night modes?

This one got me on day 1 (or night 1) of ownership... I was driving around at night and my wife couldn't find anything in the owner's manual as I cursed the brightness of the screen!

Don't despair! There is a dimmer switch for your instrument cluster (Speedo , GOM, etc) to the left of your steering wheel. I'm going off memory here, but I think it is right next to the headlight leveler switch. If you play with that dimmer switch, you'll see that you can adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster and that there is a 'lock' point just past full brightness. All you have to do to fix your problem is to play with that switch and never leave it in the 'locked' setpoint.

Wow - you mean they went ANALOG in controlling brightness of a digital display panel?! How can they have NOT incorporated auto dimming since it is in my wife's ten year old cheapo Prius?!

I wonder if it can be "upgraded" with a software fix from Toyota, or if your "lock point" avoidance allows auto dimming.

I'm in bed, but I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

jocaroth said:
I wonder if it can be "upgraded" with a software fix from Toyota, or if your "lock point" avoidance allows auto dimming.

I'm in bed, but I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

My bad, I injured my finger this week and am having trouble typing... So my explaination was brief.

Yes, once you roll that switch off the lock point, the screen will auto dim.

The little adjustment wheel works, as stated above, on mine. But a related question, the nav display has a brightness setting but seems to revert to 50% everytime the car is restarted. I would like to have it muted when I get in at O dark thirty rather than being blinded until I can turn it down. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I think the i/p and center console brightness "dimmer" switch is on the lower left of the steering wheel is a manual control. There is a Setup mode adjustment to vary the brightness and contrast as well, but nothing that I know of for an "automatic" dimmer mode for night driving. The other minor ergonomic thing absent in the car as for as lighting is no backlighting on the steering wheel switch controls. I don't think the standard RAV4 has back lighted steering wheel switches either.

See pages 35-36 of the Navigation/Audio with Entune Manual for instructions on how to adjust the brightness, contrast, and day/night mode of your screen.

CHANGING BETWEEN DAY AND NIGHT MODE
- Depending on the position of the headlight switch, the screen changes to day or night mode. If the screen is set to day mode with the headlight switch turned on, this condition is memorized even with the EV system turned off.

As noted by others, there's also a manual dimmer switch. See pages 13, 219, and 235 of the main Owner's Manual for details.

What I don't like is not being able to dim or turn off the main LCD screen (nav and audio system) independent of the instrument cluster (speedometer, battery level, etc.).

Hmm,
on mine, the Nav screen is independent of the console dimmer control. The inst cluster dimmer works fine once you find it.
The Nav can be set to day/night mode and responds to the auto headlights. The Nav can also be turned off by pressing the Display Off selection and turned back on with the Home button.
If someone has figured out how to dim the Nav display from the inst cluster dimmer, please post it.

Back