moonroof

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic Ajax

For 50K, why is there no factory mooonroof?

Does it have something to do with that newly developed insulation in the roof that is supposed to be on the next generation RAV's or is it about weight savings or is it about the aerodynamics?

Moonroof would be my one ask as well. I'm guessing extra weight for better performance/economy, or structural strength with the extra battery weight in the car were the concerns.

Probably all those things were factors in the decision to eliminate such optional features, including roof rack, spare tire, and 3rd row seating as well. Personally, at 4032 lbs, the car is already too heavy and is trading off a few more miles in maximum electric range. I think Toyota was going for "best in class" aerodynamics, which explains no moonroof, no roof rack, and no more rear "hump" for a spare tire. I'm okay with eliminating all those things for the sake of better range. I think a few more color choices would have been nice, leather upholstry, even a full complement of cup holder liners. Forget about charging extra for a "special" blizzard white paint job and a couple floor mats. Also, the tires on this vehicle are nothing to brag about; treadwear rating is rather low, where the standard OEM tires on my Chevy VOLT have a rating of "580" for ultra long lasting and low rolling resistance!

There is a healthy business of quality aftermarket moon roofs that can be CUT into the roof quite easily and for around $1-1.5k depending on options.

Back