Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time to complain! My list of Rav4 EV shortcomings.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:52 pm 

I second the comment on the design of the radio interface. Really bad design. They spent little time on design, or had a small budget for software.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:29 am 

Add my vote - the radio GUI is horrible. You'd think by now car manufacturers would at least know how not to design an infotainment interface. The Rav4 EV is the poster child for a near total fail in this regard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:16 am 

Not a bad list, I look at the things you really need, are the ones that bug us !
Only one "auto Window"
Window lock, stops the front passenger !
Trunk light, made by a midget.
Plug socket , NO Light.
All around bad design on that.
Doors don't lock after driving ?
How about that glare off the shinny dash ~ curved to blind you at all angles
Yeah you can turn the nav screen off ! but the audio is cut off too !

So the Toyota guys are like back in the 90's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am 

the thing i hate the most is the Nav system interface. Mine just resets randomly while typing in addresses. you'll be halfway through typing in a street name and blammo, blank screen and you have to start again. I've had it happen so often i just use the map for *looking* at traffic and such and i use my phone for directions. (except for the 5 presets which i have set to something and work reliably).

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:36 am 

n3ckf wrote:
the thing i hate the most is the Nav system interface. Mine just resets randomly while typing in addresses. you'll be halfway through typing in a street name and blammo, blank screen and you have to start again. I've had it happen so often i just use the map for *looking* at traffic and such and i use my phone for directions. (except for the 5 presets which i have set to something and work reliably).
If it was my car, I would claim that it was defective and try to have it replaced. Mine has never done that, but I've only ever typed in half a dozen addresses.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:12 pm 

n3ckf wrote:
the thing i hate the most is the Nav system interface. Mine just resets randomly while typing in addresses. you'll be halfway through typing in a street name and blammo, blank screen and you have to start again. I've had it happen so often...

Mine doesn't do that either (and it's not because my car is trouble free, either!). I would document every call and complaint to Toyota and your dealer until this either gets fixed or your sitting in Lemon Law arbitration and/or court.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Moderator

Before this car was even announced to be available I knew it was going to be a compliance/marketing ploy that would be somewhat cobbled together. That said the first Nissan LEAF was worse and it was a "ground up design". Aside from the Tesla issues it is really not bad for a 2600 unit compliance conversion. Those folks worried about some silly features or missing lights, etc really should not have bought this EV. If there is something to focus on its the show stopper issues related to the drive and charge system that should not be there. If you think this NAV is bad use one on a LEAF, its junk with about four voice commands that are pointless. Overall this car is not bad for what it is, a quickly made compliance car with a big marketing back story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 pm 

TheMachiewon wrote:
Not a bad list, I look at the things you really need, are the ones that bug us !
Only one "auto Window"
Window lock, stops the front passenger !
Trunk light, made by a midget.
Plug socket , NO Light.
All around bad design on that.
Doors don't lock after driving ?
How about that glare off the shinny dash ~ curved to blind you at all angles
Yeah you can turn the nav screen off ! but the audio is cut off too !

So the Toyota guys are like back in the 90's

The audio can be played while the screen is off.

Post subject: wishing it had.....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:23 am 

Design flaws and wishes for correction:
:arrow: Radio dials ... trying to seek out stations with the drop down radio-note box is appallingly silly... and frustrating! Volume on steering wheel is the only way to quickly quiet it. Bummer.
:arrow: Center console is too low for armrest. We're not midgets!
:arrow: Seat controls. Arrgh. I like the seat to dip low in rear and come up higher at knees like typical armchair. Even my Prius Plugin will do this.
:arrow: urethane or leather wrapped steering wheel. For $50K at window, it's sorta cheesy not to have this.

That said, this car has exceeded my expectations for fun factor, roominess, and economy and quick-stopping. Brakes are killer good and handling is phenomenal for this hulky little car.

949-689-0717 cell
310-522-2317 office
In my garage:
2013 Rav4 EV Blue #2030 & 2014 Rav4 EV blue #3473
2012 Prius PlugIn
My son is a USMC Sergeant & am SO proud of him!

Post subject: Re: wishing it had.....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm 

Dianne wrote:
Design flaws and wishes for correction:
:arrow: Radio dials ... trying to seek out stations with the drop down radio-note box is appallingly silly... and frustrating! Volume on steering wheel is the only way to quickly quiet it. Bummer.
:arrow: Center console is too low for armrest. We're not midgets!
:arrow: Seat controls. Arrgh. I like the seat to dip low in rear and come up higher at knees like typical armchair. Even my Prius Plugin will do this.
:arrow: urethane or leather wrapped steering wheel. For $50K at window, it's sorta cheesy not to have this.

That said, this car has exceeded my expectations for fun factor, roominess, and economy and quick-stopping. Brakes are killer good and handling is phenomenal for this hulky little car.

What's the material on the steering wheel now? i honestly thought it was leatherette/ leather like material

2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next