Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rearview Camera like the 2013 Rav4
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm 

mikegerard wrote:
2011 Sienna has backup cam but no lines.

Used it tonight while parallel parking (only do that about 6x per year). Without the lines it does not have much value. The angle is so wide that I end up looking back anyway (you can be 3 inches away and it still looks like you have tons of room).

Lines would be nice for backing down the driveway but I would still have no sense of depth.

Mike

Your Sienna does not have the Nav option? My 2011 with Nav option has the guide lines and turning guide lines too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 am 

My Focus Electric has lines that respond to the steering wheel and show that path you will take while turning, plus it has the sonic distance measurement that warns as you approach objects and indicates on the screen the object it is detecting. Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:19 am 

michael wrote:
Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?

Because they are providing you with a free car with the purchase of a Tesla drivetrain and battery? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Moderator

michael wrote:
My Focus Electric has lines that respond to the steering wheel and show that path you will take while turning, plus it has the sonic distance measurement that warns as you approach objects and indicates on the screen the object it is detecting. Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?

I actually find the RAV4 easier to maneuver than the Focus Electric. The RAV4 has better visibility and a tighter turning radius, which I think makes up for the size well. One of my only complaints about the Focus is it's relatively lousy turning radius, but otherwise it is a much more luxurious car than the RAV4.

SUVs traditionally are much more utilitarian despite their price tags. A base model Chevy Tahoe starts at $45k and has less equipment than a $23k Chevy Cruze. Only recently with the popularity of lux-utes and crossovers has that changed. The 4th generation RAV4 has gone this crossover-type route, whereas previous RAV4s stay closer to SUV roots. The most obvious example of this being the change in configuration from the back door to a hatchback. Also, in Japan, Toyota does not sell the new 4th generation RAV4, they still sell the 3rd generation because Japanese generally buy minivans for purposes we would be SUVs for.

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu