Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 pm 

I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. The ongoing and seemingly never to be fixed charge timer issue. The replacement (Tesla) motor that is now starting to make noise just like the last one. Heck, I only bought the car because of the Tesla drivetrain and big battery pack with TMS. Virtually EVERY Tesla supplied piece of hardware has been unbolted from my car so far. The heater failed. The charge port melted (I blame Blink/REMA for that one, though). The car currently has a "Check EV System" failure and has been in the shop all week, and probably next week, too.

The ride quality is not so smooth and the interior sucks for a $50k car. It's a phased out body style, and Toyota openly doesn't support EVs. No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm. 120 volt / 12 amp EVSE? Three miles per HOUR???? The same EVSE that Toyota uses in their 11 mile range Plug-In Prius (while Tesla supplies full 40 amp EVSE in their cars). Are you kidding me when there is onboard capabilty of a 40 amp / 277 volt charger? Yippee!! No DC quick charge option, even though Toyota is an official CHAdeMO member company.

Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? What brain surgeon thought that made sense? A resistance heater in a $50k EV ???... even the LEAF at about 2/3 the price offers a heat pump. Poor implementation of charging station mapping (only works with internet connected smart phone with app running), plus it doesn't come close to what I can just find on PlugShare. No mention in the owner's manual about long term storage for the $36,000 retail price traction battery?

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.

Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 pm 

I can't wait for the Tesla Model X so that all these problems will be just a faded memory of a lesser vehicle...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 pm 

I like that the RAV4 EV has a noisier motor. My Leaf is much quieter, but I like having the auditory feedback as I zip around. The Tesla Roadster was much louder and this level of feedback is just about right. I have listened to the recordings and it sounds about like mine and I LIKE IT. One mans feature is another's bug.

I know we paid $40K after incentives for our RAV4 EV, but the price is closer to $27K now. The similarly equipped RAV4 ICE is about the same price. We give up a little range, but save on fueling. The car is a super fast RAV4 that requires little or no maintenance.

If you are disappointed, I would say you have to lower your expectations. The heater is the only failure that I think you can blame on Toyota. I am out of state, so I will do my 5K mile brake/tire inspections myself. The EVSE is for emergency use and not daily. I have never used CHAdeMO on my Leaf and only charged twice away from home/office in over two years (equivalent) of driving electric. The original Leaf had the same resistance heater and had to change it because of their unacceptably small battery which isn't an issue with the RAV4. My cars for the last 10 years skipped the spare tire (Sienna AWD, Leaf, Think, BMW) and I haven't changed one in that same time period on the road. I only charge to 80%, which I think is what they intend you to do, so don't see that issue.

I disagree, respectfully.

Last edited by reeler on Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm 

reeler wrote:
I disagree, respectfully.

Uh, what are you disagreeing with? Most of what I posted are facts. It comes with a 3 mile per hour charge cable. Fact.

My motor / gearbox assembly was replaced. Fact.

The "girl car" comment, of course, opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
Uh, what are you disagreeing with? Most of what I posted are facts. It comes with a 3 mile per hour charge cable. Fact.

I have no disagreement with the facts. I just don't care about the issues you raise and gave my contrary thoughts on each. The RAV4 is far more car than my Leaf or Think and it exceeds all my expectations.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm 

reeler wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

I have no disagreement with the facts. I just don't care about the issues you raise and gave my contrary thoughts on each. The RAV4 is far more car than my Leaf or Think and it exceeds all my expectations.

Well, sure, I really like the car, but then it wouldn't be a proper rant, right? Heck, it kills the LEAF and a Think... eek!!

I mostly disappointed that in 6 months, it has spent about 1 month in a shop. That's a fact, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
I mostly disappointed that in 6 months, it has spent about 1 month in a shop. That's a fact, too.

I think that qualifies for the lemon law... not sure if it's 30 days total for repairs or if they have to be the same repair issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Moderator

The RAV4 EV definitely has "issues", but I find it "overall" to be a car that meets my expectations. It could be better, of course, ALL other model cars as well.

The one and only worse thing about it to me is the faulty charging scheduler, but even that is only a minor issue really. However, the clock is still ticking on that one - six months and counting - almost to the point of absurdity!

The only other REAL issue is that Toyota only sells this car to meet CARB ZEV mandates, and Toyota's attitude and that of essentially all their "authorized" CA dealers is generally lacking when it comes to promoting good customer relations. The only back handed saving grace for this vehicle, ironically, has been such poor sales, which has benefitted many here financially since the first of the year. However, It's hard to be forgiving of this car's faults, even if only minor, when some members here paid so dearly to become the first owners. For that matter, even the lesser model SUVs in Toyota's lineup come with a full complement of cup holder liners ($49 each OTC parts), but not so in any of ours. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:33 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.

If the rav4 is a girls car, and the tesla s is the rich mans car, what other choice do you have out there? The testosterone LEAF, fit, or focus?

I love the rav4ev. My only beef with it is the cabin noise. I had too high expectation that all ev should be like that of the leaf, noiseless, quite, and serene, as that was one big selling point from EVgelicals.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:18 am 

occ wrote:
My only beef with it is the cabin noise. I had too high expectation that all ev should be like that of the leaf, noiseless, quite, and serene, as that was one big selling point from EVgelicals.

Another issue... all season tires off the V6 limited Rav4. Noisy and not particularly efficient.

Yes, the LEAF is a high standard. It's far too short on range for me and the battery degradation is absurd compared to its competition.