Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: San Diego
I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. The ongoing and seemingly never to be fixed charge timer issue. The replacement (Tesla) motor that is now starting to make noise just like the last one. Heck, I only bought the car because of the Tesla drivetrain and big battery pack with TMS. Virtually EVERY Tesla supplied piece of hardware has been unbolted from my car so far. The heater failed. The charge port melted (I blame Blink/REMA for that one, though). The car currently has a "Check EV System" failure and has been in the shop all week, and probably next week, too.

The ride quality is not so smooth and the interior sucks for a $50k car. It's a phased out body style, and Toyota openly doesn't support EVs. No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm. 120 volt / 12 amp EVSE? Three miles per HOUR???? The same EVSE that Toyota uses in their 11 mile range Plug-In Prius (while Tesla supplies full 40 amp EVSE in their cars). Are you kidding me when there is onboard capabilty of a 40 amp / 277 volt charger? Yippee!! No DC quick charge option, even though Toyota is an official CHAdeMO member company.

Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? What brain surgeon thought that made sense? A resistance heater in a $50k EV ???... even the LEAF at about 2/3 the price offers a heat pump. Poor implementation of charging station mapping (only works with internet connected smart phone with app running), plus it doesn't come close to what I can just find on PlugShare. No mention in the owner's manual about long term storage for the $36,000 retail price traction battery?

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 165
I can't wait for the Tesla Model X so that all these problems will be just a faded memory of a lesser vehicle...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 am
Posts: 160
Location: Denver
I like that the RAV4 EV has a noisier motor. My Leaf is much quieter, but I like having the auditory feedback as I zip around. The Tesla Roadster was much louder and this level of feedback is just about right. I have listened to the recordings and it sounds about like mine and I LIKE IT. One mans feature is another's bug.

I know we paid $40K after incentives for our RAV4 EV, but the price is closer to $27K now. The similarly equipped RAV4 ICE is about the same price. We give up a little range, but save on fueling. The car is a super fast RAV4 that requires little or no maintenance.

If you are disappointed, I would say you have to lower your expectations. The heater is the only failure that I think you can blame on Toyota. I am out of state, so I will do my 5K mile brake/tire inspections myself. The EVSE is for emergency use and not daily. I have never used CHAdeMO on my Leaf and only charged twice away from home/office in over two years (equivalent) of driving electric. The original Leaf had the same resistance heater and had to change it because of their unacceptably small battery which isn't an issue with the RAV4. My cars for the last 10 years skipped the spare tire (Sienna AWD, Leaf, Think, BMW) and I haven't changed one in that same time period on the road. I only charge to 80%, which I think is what they intend you to do, so don't see that issue.

I disagree, respectfully.

_________________
6th Year of Pure EV Driving: Former 2012 RAV4 EV x 2 | Blue LEAF SV x 2 | Tesla Model X
10 Ways to Save on Tesla Purchase: http://tesladiscountcoupon.com


Last edited by reeler on Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: San Diego
reeler wrote:
I disagree, respectfully.


Uh, what are you disagreeing with? Most of what I posted are facts. It comes with a 3 mile per hour charge cable. Fact.

My motor / gearbox assembly was replaced. Fact.

The "girl car" comment, of course, opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 am
Posts: 160
Location: Denver
TonyWilliams wrote:
Uh, what are you disagreeing with? Most of what I posted are facts. It comes with a 3 mile per hour charge cable. Fact.


I have no disagreement with the facts. I just don't care about the issues you raise and gave my contrary thoughts on each. The RAV4 is far more car than my Leaf or Think and it exceeds all my expectations.

_________________
6th Year of Pure EV Driving: Former 2012 RAV4 EV x 2 | Blue LEAF SV x 2 | Tesla Model X
10 Ways to Save on Tesla Purchase: http://tesladiscountcoupon.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: San Diego
reeler wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
Uh, what are you disagreeing with? Most of what I posted are facts. It comes with a 3 mile per hour charge cable. Fact.


I have no disagreement with the facts. I just don't care about the issues you raise and gave my contrary thoughts on each. The RAV4 is far more car than my Leaf or Think and it exceeds all my expectations.


Well, sure, I really like the car, but then it wouldn't be a proper rant, right? Heck, it kills the LEAF and a Think... eek!!

I mostly disappointed that in 6 months, it has spent about 1 month in a shop. That's a fact, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 am
Posts: 311
TonyWilliams wrote:
I mostly disappointed that in 6 months, it has spent about 1 month in a shop. That's a fact, too.

I think that qualifies for the lemon law... not sure if it's 30 days total for repairs or if they have to be the same repair issue.

_________________
2012 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV - Repurchased by Toyota
ClipperCreek CS-60 EVSE now for sale
Open EVSE 30 Amp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:13 am 
Offline
Site Moderator

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 am
Posts: 1213
Location: San Jose, CA
The RAV4 EV definitely has "issues", but I find it "overall" to be a car that meets my expectations. It could be better, of course, ALL other model cars as well.

The one and only worse thing about it to me is the faulty charging scheduler, but even that is only a minor issue really. However, the clock is still ticking on that one - six months and counting - almost to the point of absurdity!

The only other REAL issue is that Toyota only sells this car to meet CARB ZEV mandates, and Toyota's attitude and that of essentially all their "authorized" CA dealers is generally lacking when it comes to promoting good customer relations. The only back handed saving grace for this vehicle, ironically, has been such poor sales, which has benefitted many here financially since the first of the year. However, It's hard to be forgiving of this car's faults, even if only minor, when some members here paid so dearly to become the first owners. For that matter, even the lesser model SUVs in Toyota's lineup come with a full complement of cup holder liners ($49 each OTC parts), but not so in any of ours. :shock:

_________________
Owner of 2012 Classic Silver RAV4 EV, 2012 Silver VOLT & 2008 Red C6 Z06
EMW JuiceBox Basic (fully optioned & customized) EVSE L2 charging station
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/TRVh161550


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 am
Posts: 114
Location: Tustin
TonyWilliams wrote:

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.


If the rav4 is a girls car, and the tesla s is the rich mans car, what other choice do you have out there? The testosterone LEAF, fit, or focus?

I love the rav4ev. My only beef with it is the cabin noise. I had too high expectation that all ev should be like that of the leaf, noiseless, quite, and serene, as that was one big selling point from EVgelicals.

_________________
Blizzard Pearl Rav4EV VIN 1324
Nissan LEAF VIN 4873
Tustin w/ 4Kw Solar PV


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: San Diego
occ wrote:
My only beef with it is the cabin noise. I had too high expectation that all ev should be like that of the leaf, noiseless, quite, and serene, as that was one big selling point from EVgelicals.


Another issue... all season tires off the V6 limited Rav4. Noisy and not particularly efficient.

Yes, the LEAF is a high standard. It's far too short on range for me and the battery degradation is absurd compared to its competition.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group