Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Complaint Rant
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:47 pm 

Yes... with all the short comings, there is still one huge overriding factor,
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/150386709

Don't loose site of the goal 8-)

ClipperCreek CS-60
EV project Blink EVSE 6.6

The original hybrid, a sailboat, with plans to convert to elec propulsion/)..../)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:12 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. The ongoing and seemingly never to be fixed charge timer issue. The replacement (Tesla) motor that is now starting to make noise just like the last one. Heck, I only bought the car because of the Tesla drivetrain and big battery pack with TMS. Virtually EVERY Tesla supplied piece of hardware has been unbolted from my car so far. The heater failed. The charge port melted (I blame Blink/REMA for that one, though). The car currently has a "Check EV System" failure and has been in the shop all week, and probably next week, too.

The ride quality is not so smooth and the interior sucks for a $50k car. It's a phased out body style, and Toyota openly doesn't support EVs. No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm. 120 volt / 12 amp EVSE? Three miles per HOUR???? The same EVSE that Toyota uses in their 11 mile range Plug-In Prius (while Tesla supplies full 40 amp EVSE in their cars). Are you kidding me when there is onboard capabilty of a 40 amp / 277 volt charger? Yippee!! No DC quick charge option, even though Toyota is an official CHAdeMO member company.

Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? What brain surgeon thought that made sense? A resistance heater in a $50k EV ???... even the LEAF at about 2/3 the price offers a heat pump. Poor implementation of charging station mapping (only works with internet connected smart phone with app running), plus it doesn't come close to what I can just find on PlugShare. No mention in the owner's manual about long term storage for the $36,000 retail price traction battery?

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.

How heavy is that trailer you're towing, again?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm 

Tony, thanks for creating this thread. I agree totally that it is unreasonable of the 12 Amp mobile EVSE. I do not agree that the Rav4 is a girl's car, but it is just my opinion. No QC/DC capability is also a disappointment (though my 2011 LEAF's QC port was a virgin after owning it for almost 2 years). Here's mine:
1. No Heated windshield;
2. HVAC is not Heat Pump;
3. Not enough re-gen handles;
4. Schedule time charge bug;
5. No start time charging capability and % of charge setting;
6. Cell balancing is not done *right after* charge completion;
7. No gauge reading for 100% SOC and usage;
8. No online charging report for xls export;
9. No rain sensor;

I can live with #4, #5 (I am a net energy producer I never use time charging). Items 1, 2, 3 affects efficiency which i care a lot. #6-9 is purely annoying items.

I still like my RAVs for these 3 reasons: It has the biggest battery pack after Model S; fastest on board L2 charger in compare to all other EVs except for the Model S; It has a liquid cool TMS.

www.waidy.com/EVSEextenders
www.waidy.com/solar

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:00 pm 

srl99 wrote:
How heavy is that trailer you're towing, again?

About 1200 pounds, why?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 pm 

doug401 wrote:
Yes... with all the short comings, there is still one huge overriding factor,
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/150386709

Don't loose site of the goal 8-)

I can forget oil in a Nissan LEAF (that I never had any problems with, 35,000 miles driven, except the battery degrades more than other cars) or a Tesla Model S.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:34 am 

I was surprised by the no spare tire norm when I first started researching EVs. I see quite a few DIYers on this forum, has anyone considered getting ahold of a rear door from a 2012 gasser and swapping that in? Yes it'd be more weight, not to mention long odds to find one in good shape, in your color, in a scrap yard but the thought crosses my mind each time I see that spare tire on a 2012 gasser. Perhaps I've got bad luck but I've had 3 flats in the past 3 years. Was lucky enough that 2 must have occurred on my way evening commute home from work because I noticed them in the morning just as I was about to leave for work the next day, and the third was a slow leak so I was able to get to a tire place. You'd think I live next to a nail factory....

TonyWilliams wrote:
No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm.

2012 Rav4EV, Shoreline Blue (#1528); 60,000 miles and counting
Jesla, J-Long, JdeMO
6.2 kW PV

My 2 cents: http://ventricular.org/ItsElectric/

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 am 

snoltor wrote:
I was surprised by the no spare tire norm when I first started researching EVs. I see quite a few DIYers on this forum, has anyone considered getting ahold of a rear door from a 2012 gasser and swapping that in? Yes it'd be more weight, not to mention long odds to find one in good shape, in your color, in a scrap yard but the thought crosses my mind each time I see that spare tire on a 2012 gasser. Perhaps I've got bad luck but I've had 3 flats in the past 3 years. Was lucky enough that 2 must have occurred on my way evening commute home from work because I noticed them in the morning just as I was about to leave for work the next day, and the third was a slow leak so I was able to get to a tire place. You'd think I live next to a nail factory....

My 2002 Rav4EV came with a spare tire mounted at the rear under the cargo area. 10 years of driving, I have never used it. Not that I didn't have flat. It is because AAA truck came faster than replacing the spare the flat myself.

www.waidy.com/solar

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:42 am 

I'm hoping that SOS button really works!

waidy wrote:
It is because AAA truck came faster than replacing the spare the flat myself.

2012 Rav4EV, Shoreline Blue (#1528); 60,000 miles and counting
Jesla, J-Long, JdeMO
6.2 kW PV

My 2 cents: http://ventricular.org/ItsElectric/

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:46 am 

I've already had one flat on the Rav4. It destroyed the tire, and I had to buy a new one. Fortunately, the spare tire/wheel that I got for the LEAF worked perfectly until my new tire arrived from Tire Rack.

I had three or four flats on both LEAFs, also normally without a spare tire. Even our Infiniti G37 convertible does not have a spare.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm 

Perhaps the 2013 model has couple of extra items that the 2012 doesn't have, OR at least they were not in my 2012 Ravs. According to http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure ... ochure.pdf‎ Page 3 last line: "Tire repair system included". Then on Page 4 under Charging time, it has "16Amp 240" (not sure whether it implies 2013 mobile EVSE has 16Amp Capability). Would 2012 Rav4EVians please comment?

www.waidy.com/solar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next