Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Replace horn with REAL horn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 am 

Blastphemy wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
So, in other words, exactly what the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that I posted previously requires from the dealer / manufacturer.
No, he referenced another source; something in the California statutes.

Yes, there are those, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
I changed the horns out for a more robust version that Feature steel housing and plastic projector, can be mounted singly or as duals (I highly recommend a high and a low dual install) at 130 dB:

FIAMM 72112 Low Note (420hz) Freeway Blaster Horn

http://www.fiamm.com/Horns-F-Freeway-Bl ... od-956-561

FIAMM 72102 High Note (500hz) Freeway Blaster Horn

http://www.fiamm.com/Horns-E-Freeway-Bl ... od-957-561

Many people are happy with the compact "El Grande" model (frequency
405-485):

http://www.fiamm.com/Horns-El-Grande-Tw ... od-997-561

It's super easy to do. Just remove the plastic cover over the radiator (pop the center plastic pins in to loosen the fasteners). Page 356 in the owner's manual tells you how to remove the motor compartment cover. Then remove the two 12mm hex head bolts that hold the radiator in.

Remove the top radiator brackets (they just slide up, off the radiator) and push the radiator assembly towards the windshield. You'll see the two horns on the driver's side, mounted high, in front of the radiator. You'll need a 12mm hex head wrench to remove the hangars. If you want to "go for it", just remove the 10mm hex head nuts from the center of the horn and reuse the hangars.

Don't drop any bolts or nuts because you will have to remove the lower motor cover from the bottom of the car to retrieve them. It's not hard, but you have to crawl under the car with a 10mm socket and short extension, and a flat screw driver.

Pictured is the stock Low tone horn (420 hz) with the replacement Fiamm horn. The high tone horn looks the same (500 hz), but is not pictured:

Thank you Tony for the clear instructions. I replaced the OEM horns with a dual Fiamm install, and they sound great! It took me less than an hour. I actually spent some time checking out the high and low note horns separately, then together. What a difference. I highly recommend this small project.

Solar Panels

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 pm 

I was planning on taking off the front bumper cover (seems like it is only 4-5 screws and a bunch of pop-up/push-in fasteners)...until I saw this post about pushing back the radiator.
Which do you suppose is easier? Do you just use the existing connector, albeit without the latching feature?

Nobody can claim 100% that they know that a big company like Toyota would do in a warranty dispute situation. But seriously, changing 12-volt horns for other 12-volt horns is not changing the electrical system, and removing a bumper cover and putting it back is not changing the mechanical structure...neither the ECU (engine computer), nor any people (mechanics), would know. If you got into a fender bender and it pushed your bumper cover into the horns to break 'em, would the electrical and powertrain sections of the warranty be voided? No, that would be silly.

I'm saddened by people's fear of making modifications DUE TO an unfortunate instilled FEAR OF LIABILITY, DAMAGE, & WARRANTY VOIDING. I was doing light modding and fixing of cars before I even had my driver's license, and the confidence it gave me to diagnose, fix, and customize things in general was an invaluable life skill. I'm struggling to teach my kids the same confidence and practical skill, rather than have all of their achievement be virtual from 'winning' on IPAD games.

Last edited by mudpie on Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 pm 

mudpie wrote:
I was planning on taking off the front bumper cover (seems like it is only 4-5 screws and a bunch of pop-up/push-in fasteners)...until I saw this post about pushing back the radiator.
Which do you suppose is easier? Do you just use the existing connector, albeit without the latching feature?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The radiator is only moved to allow my big fat hand in there.

Then, you return the radiator to its normal position.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:55 am 

Tony, I was just wondering if it would be easier overall to remove the bumper cover to have plenty of space to reach in and unbolt the horns.

Also, do you just use the existing connector, slipping it over the metal tab of the FIAMM horn without using the latching feature, or did you cut off and replace the existing connector with a crimp-on spade or something?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 am 

Done. Did as Tony suggested and just removed two bolts/brackets and pushed the radiator back. Took an hour -- much of that because the horns both wanted to rotate and not let me loosen the nut, and I just couldn't get two hands in there to stop the rotation of the horns.
I like this upgrade to use on those crazies texting on their cell phones.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am 

mudpie wrote:
Tony, I was just wondering if it would be easier overall to remove the bumper cover to have plenty of space to reach in and unbolt the horns.

Also, do you just use the existing connector, slipping it over the metal tab of the FIAMM horn without using the latching feature, or did you cut off and replace the existing connector with a crimp-on spade or something?

Yes, reused the existing electrical connection.

I don't know about it being "easier" to remove the bumper cover. Why don't you try it and post the details?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 pm 

Thanks to Tony's instruction and some steps on Rav4world, I was able to do the horn mod. No broken clips or weird unsettled installations, just overall pretty smooth. I recorded the process and will post the video up later today (or this week). Overall, very easy. I even dropped a bolt and had to pop off a couple of the holders on underneath the car. Although I dreaded it, it wasn't too bad and I didnt have to remove the whole bottom cover. I've never done any work on any car so this was a pretty big personal accomplishment for me. The feels man!

EDIT: Finished. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J630MaTAAfA

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 pm 

A day after my horn installation, it stopped working. I found out that after I washed my car, I flooded the horns with water because I had mounted the horns with the horn end facing up. Oops. After I drained them, I reinstalled the horns so that they face down. This was a little tricky because the connecting wire seemed like it was too short. After some wiggling I did manage to get the wires connected to the horns and now they work again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm 

I installed the Grande horns and they didnt really make a huge difference. I would say it was not worth the headache/cost/chance of messing with the warranty or fighting the dealer over the warranty/horns.

I did have a hard time removing the first horn. It was bolted on very very tightly. Literally took me 30 mins to get it off. I had to charge my 18v Makita hammer drill to get it to unscrew the bolt.

Anyways, If I could do it all over again, I wouldnt go with the Grande, id go with the other pair the original poster went with. Or I would not bother at all.

I do have a video of before and after. Ill try to upload to youtube and link to it.

Trailer Hitch #51157-45
Running Boards #27-6610
WeatherTech Cargo Mat
Twin Horns El Grande #74100
Cargo Net
Darker Tints
Wish List:
Mud Guards
Leather Interior
Moon Roof
Larger Rims

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next