Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Limited Console Functionality While Driving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm 

I understand the safety issues in using the center console while you are driving. That is why you are limited to what you are able to do (i.e. you cannot type in an address to the GPS).
However, shouldn't the car know that a passenger is in the vehicle (weight sensors that alarm you when a passenger is present and does not have their seat belt on) and enable full functionality?
I would hope that this would be an easy software update.

Post subject: Re: Limited Console Functionality While Driving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 am 

I got mine from this guy. Make sure he knows it's a 2012-2014 Rav4 EV, so that he sends you the correct directions on how to install:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/2007/navoverride.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 am 

Good luck w/Toyota ever changing that. My 06 Prius has the above 3 mph lockout and Toyota's been doing that for MUCH longer than that. And yes, my 06 Prius has a passenger seat weight sensor for the airbags.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:31 pm 

Try using the voice command button on the steering wheel.

I was driving home on the freeway one day when I got a call and had to change destinations. Not wanting to take time to get off the freeway and enter the address I remembered the salesperson at the dealership demonstrating the voice command to enter my home address as the destination. Works well.

2012 Classic Silver RAV4 EV #1330
1987 Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 pm 

Voice command works for some things... but so far my biggest complaint is having to use it to dial numbers while in a call. For example if I call for tech support and they say "dial 1 for customer service" I have to hit voice command, then say "one" then hit voice command and say "yes" I think... I have NOT done this successfully just yet. When I said "one" my theory is that the automated machine that is still speaking different dial options interferes with my audio response. I believe there is supposed to be a noise cancellation that causes the car speaker not to interfere with the microphone but who knows. This causes more danger than actually activating the button dialing because I'm forced to push the numbers on my actual phone.

Tony, thanks for the link! Maybe if you end up selling your car back, I'll buy yours ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 am 

Khoa wrote:
Tony, thanks for the link! Maybe if you end up selling your car back, I'll buy yours ;)

When I got rid of both LEAFs, I had a huge fire sale... almost $3000 in my collected junk, and it all went in days!!!