Limited Console Functionality While Driving

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khoa

I understand the safety issues in using the center console while you are driving. That is why you are limited to what you are able to do (i.e. you cannot type in an address to the GPS).
However, shouldn't the car know that a passenger is in the vehicle (weight sensors that alarm you when a passenger is present and does not have their seat belt on) and enable full functionality?
I would hope that this would be an easy software update.

Good luck w/Toyota ever changing that. My 06 Prius has the above 3 mph lockout and Toyota's been doing that for MUCH longer than that. And yes, my 06 Prius has a passenger seat weight sensor for the airbags.

Try using the voice command button on the steering wheel.

I was driving home on the freeway one day when I got a call and had to change destinations. Not wanting to take time to get off the freeway and enter the address I remembered the salesperson at the dealership demonstrating the voice command to enter my home address as the destination. Works well.

Voice command works for some things... but so far my biggest complaint is having to use it to dial numbers while in a call. For example if I call for tech support and they say "dial 1 for customer service" I have to hit voice command, then say "one" then hit voice command and say "yes" I think... I have NOT done this successfully just yet. When I said "one" my theory is that the automated machine that is still speaking different dial options interferes with my audio response. I believe there is supposed to be a noise cancellation that causes the car speaker not to interfere with the microphone but who knows. This causes more danger than actually activating the button dialing because I'm forced to push the numbers on my actual phone.

Tony, thanks for the link! Maybe if you end up selling your car back, I'll buy yours ;)

Back