Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blink EVSE blows out a pin on the Rav4 connector
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:54 am 

If anyone has a Rema connector that melted the pins, but still has the outer case intact, then I would like to buy it. I have the old Blink/Rema connector that I cracked the case and broke the locking mechanism and I would like to fix it. I do not need the cable or pins. Just cut the cable at the connector. Thank you.

Post subject: Charger short
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 pm 

Encountered a big issue today when charging with our Blink charger at work. Looks like there was a short or fire between the plug on my 2014 Rav4 and the Blink connector. One of the terminals from the blink charger fused to my plug and melted. The terminal pin is still inside my plug rending my plug un-useable.

Of course I have engaged Blink and submitted a report with them. I am currently waiting on their response.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I have an appt with my local Toyota dealer for the repair.

Should I blame Toyota or Blink or both?

Marc

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntgk8netxvjh ... 7o0qa?dl=0

Post subject: Re: Charger short
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:19 am 

mhrossowyc wrote:
Should I blame Toyota or Blink or both?

Marc

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntgk8netxvjh ... 7o0qa?dl=0

You can blame whoever you like, but this issue is AT LEAST four years old. They modified the RAV4 EV inlet so that it is easy for the dealer to swap out. If you're within warranty, they might do it for free. Officially, Blink was removed from the Toyota "list" of approved / tested charge stations in the summer of 2013, so they could just make you pay for the repairs on your car.

Blink is owned by Car Charging Group for the past 3 years or so, and they are broke, and likely to be bankrupt any day (short of a hail mary investor, or some easy government cash). You're probably going to get nothing from them except frustrated. It sounds like you don't own the charge station, so it sounds even more complicated.

You could sue them, win a judgement, and then before you collect, they liquidate. You get less than 1 penny to the dollar of your judgement in bankruptcy court years down the road.

My advice. Get your car fixed, either warranty or otherwise, and STOP USING BLINK CHARGE STATIONS !!!

If Toyota can't replace your Yazaki J1772 inlet for a reasonable price, we can get one for you. It won't take 30 minutes to swap out.

If this damaged the onboard charger in some way, good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:00 am 

Tony,

Thanks for the info and moving the post.

Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 pm 

Toyota is refusing to cover this as warranty work and want to charge $700 for a new plug. Still trying to get somewhere with Blink. They claim to have sent emails but I have never received any from them.

Since Toyota is not willing to cover, I am going to push hard for Blink.

Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:13 am 

mhrossowyc wrote:
Toyota is refusing to cover this as warranty work and want to charge $700 for a new plug. Still trying to get somewhere with Blink. They claim to have sent emails but I have never received any from them.

Since Toyota is not willing to cover, I am going to push hard for Blink.

Marc

Well, again, we can probably get this taken care of for a fraction of what Toyota wants. You would have to send us you damaged inlet, and that is predicated on it being the newer version that is easy to pop out.

If it is not, then the traction battery has to be dropped. $700 might be a bargain!!!