Brake Assist on hills - stop rolling backwards

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robochimp

One suggestion for Toyota that could possibly be
updated via a software update:

On hill brake assist. The Rav should hold it's position
when starting from a full stop rather that slip backwards.

Are you aware that the Rav4 EV does have something similar. Hill-start Assist Control is documented on page 43 of your manual. You have to manually engage it by pressing on the brake pedal and it lasts only two seconds. I'm not sure if you are aware that exists and you find it insufficient, or if you didn't know. It's something, though definitely not the rollback prevention on, for example, a BMW.

On the RAV you really have to push the brake pedal hard to activate the Hill Start Assist, sometimes more than once. It will not trigger by accident.

^^^
This a feature that Toyota introduced on Priuses, starting w/Gen 3 (2010 model year). On the Prius, you get some beeps (IIRC) and the skid light flashes while it's engaged. Some dealers make it a point to show their Prius customers at delivery. I had my friend try it the day she picked up her new '11 Prius, so she knew what it was.

cwerdna said:
^^^
This a feature that Toyota introduced on Priuses, starting w/Gen 3 (2010 model year). On the Prius, you get some beeps (IIRC) and the skid light flashes while it's engaged. Some dealers make it a point to show their Prius customers at delivery. I had my friend try it the day she picked up her new '11 Prius, so she knew what it was.
Actually, my 2007 RAV4 has this as well (so I'm guessing it started with that gen, which was 2006). Took me a while to figure out what was going on, as I kept activating it by accident when parking the car sometimes. You can activate it by pressing the brake pedal all the way, in a quick fashion. I love this feature, wish more cars had it (the LEAF's implementation sucks).

Back