Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Toyota needs to stand behind their Rav4 EV
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm 

For the record, my issue is not so much that Toyota only sells the rav4 ev in California or that they make a limited number of them. I'm more concerned with the lack of support outside of California. California is only state that has authorized dealers to service the rav4 ev (although those dealers maybe few) but if you are out of state you have zero support. Look, I understand there is a business side to this and Toyota must do what's best for their company, however, it would be nice if they had better support for out of staters even if it's at the owners expense.

Rav4 EV (also hopeful that is if Toyota allows the vehicle in my state)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:52 pm 

I think part of the issue here is the cost for a dealership to be part of the EV program. I know here in my local Ventura area one dealership service manager told me that they (Ventura Toyota) didn't want to be part of the EV program... that it was going to cost the dealership around $100K to be EV certified. Part of this cost was the flooring of a Rav4 EV ($50K) and the rest of the cost was the training of EV technicians as well as purchasing EV specific diagnostic and service equipment.

When I purchased my Rav4 EV at a neighboring dealership... DCH Toyota of Oxnard, the salesman told me that the cost of being a certified EV dealership was more easily absorbed by being a DCH corporate dealership and not a smaller privately owned retailer.

These dealerships are not factory owned and are in the business to make a profit. It does not surprise me to see some dealerships in California not participating in the program. Given the small sales outside of a few volume dealerships I think the profits are very low on this car. Out of state dealerships not willing to invest in the service training and equipment to service one or two vehicles doesn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Moderator

dmw183 wrote:
For the record, my issue is not so much that Toyota only sells the rav4 ev in California or that they make a limited number of them. I'm more concerned with the lack of support outside of California. California is only state that has authorized dealers to service the rav4 ev (although those dealers maybe few) but if you are out of state you have zero support. Look, I understand there is a business side to this and Toyota must do what's best for their company, however, it would be nice if they had better support for out of staters even if it's at the owners expense.

This makes absolutely no sense, the car is only sold in CA, why would Toyota or a dealer outside CA set up support in the hopes of perhaps supporting one or no cars. Even if it cost them only $100 there is no incentive. I'm sure if you paid for all the dealer tools, lift, setup, training, etc then you would get service but it would cost less to ship your car to CA and back many times over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 pm 

My understanding is that some out of state technicians have paid to be EV certified out of their own pockets. If they buy the EV specific tools too, why should Toyota refuse to pay a willing out of state dealer to do Warranty work?

There are several overlapping issues here.
1. Toyota getting credit for selling the required quantity of vehicles that they produced.
2. Toyota limiting their costs to service a small number of customers.
3. The effectiveness of Toyota's policies to achieve #1, #2 above.

Personally, I have no problem with Toyota doing what they have to in order to get full CARB credit for the cars that they produce. If they have to get the car registered in CA to get full credit, then they should just make that a requirement. Obviously there are legal limitations as to what they can require, but if they have to crank up the invoice and MSRP prices and give rebates to cars registered in CA, then so be it. If someone moves the car after the initial sale and registration, so be it - Toyota still got full credit for the sale.

So, now, what about after the sale? Since they set up the EV Certified program, it seems that any dealership that is not certified has every right to refuse to service EVs. Fine. I don't think anyone is complaining about dealers that don't want to do the service. However, if a dealer is willing to get people trained and accept the standard reimbursement rate for warranty work, there should be no difference to Toyota where the dealership is located. Also, there is no reason to limit parts distribution if somebody is willing to pay the listed price. I also think it would be reasonable for Toyota to request reimbursement for additional actual shipping cost for parts sent out of state. By the same logic, charging travel expense for a Tesla technician to travel out of state would also be a reasonable request. The owner could then decide if it is cheaper to ship the car to a EV Certified dealer in CA, or if they want to pay the travel expense - IF that is actually required after diagnosis by a local technician.

My main problem with Toyota regarding the RAV4 EV is the fact that they are making shady-feeling indirect policies to try to achieve their goals. I think it would be much better if they made transparent and direct policies that are compliant with existing consumer protection law.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 pm 

miimura wrote:
My main problem with Toyota regarding the RAV4 EV is the fact that they are making shady-feeling indirect policies to try to achieve their goals. I think it would be much better if they made transparent and direct policies that are compliant with existing consumer protection law.

There's nothing shady about selling the car in California only. What if they sold it in the whole USA, but not Canada? Would that also be shady?

Toyota is neither quiet, nor shady, about their lack of fondness for EV's. The very highest levels of the company have made their position very clear.

They announced the production would be 2600 from almost day one. They announced California only, and are now enforcing California only through the tools they have.

To my knowledge, they comply with all the laws, and exercise their rights to sell cars where needed to comply. I might argue that out-of-state warranty should apply under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty, but I'm sure their lawyers think this is not required.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 am 

I think there was some fine print that stated... "Can not be available only in CA." Wouldn't that be a bitch. No CARB credits at all???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Moderator

miimura wrote:
My understanding is that some out of state technicians have paid to be EV certified out of their own pockets. If they buy the EV specific tools too, why should Toyota refuse to pay a willing out of state dealer to do Warranty work?

There are several overlapping issues here.
1. Toyota getting credit for selling the required quantity of vehicles that they produced.
2. Toyota limiting their costs to service a small number of customers.
3. The effectiveness of Toyota's policies to achieve #1, #2 above.

Personally, I have no problem with Toyota doing what they have to in order to get full CARB credit for the cars that they produce. If they have to get the car registered in CA to get full credit, then they should just make that a requirement. Obviously there are legal limitations as to what they can require, but if they have to crank up the invoice and MSRP prices and give rebates to cars registered in CA, then so be it. If someone moves the car after the initial sale and registration, so be it - Toyota still got full credit for the sale.

So, now, what about after the sale? Since they set up the EV Certified program, it seems that any dealership that is not certified has every right to refuse to service EVs. Fine. I don't think anyone is complaining about dealers that don't want to do the service. However, if a dealer is willing to get people trained and accept the standard reimbursement rate for warranty work, there should be no difference to Toyota where the dealership is located. Also, there is no reason to limit parts distribution if somebody is willing to pay the listed price. I also think it would be reasonable for Toyota to request reimbursement for additional actual shipping cost for parts sent out of state. By the same logic, charging travel expense for a Tesla technician to travel out of state would also be a reasonable request. The owner could then decide if it is cheaper to ship the car to a EV Certified dealer in CA, or if they want to pay the travel expense - IF that is actually required after diagnosis by a local technician.

Perhaps they should pay your lease payment as well? May as well put that on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:50 pm 

@Tadol
I agree with some of your points but same argument can be made with GM's reaction to EV1 as well. There are some minor points differentiate between what they do but you can say corporations are inherently evil.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
miimura wrote:

There's nothing shady about selling the car in California only. What if they sold it in the whole USA, but not Canada? Would that also be shady?

Toyota is neither quiet, nor shady, about their lack of fondness for EV's. The very highest levels of the company have made their position very clear.

They announced the production would be 2600 from almost day one. They announced California only, and are now enforcing California only through the tools they have.

To my knowledge, they comply with all the laws, and exercise their rights to sell cars where needed to comply. I might argue that out-of-state warranty should apply under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty, but I'm sure their lawyers think this is not required.
To me the shady part is the intentional uncertainty about the warranty. Like I said before, it looks like they're making good on the warranty but they seem to want that FUD to be out there to discourage out-of-state use.

The non-payment of Toyota Care out of state is petty also. That one is pretty iron-clad because it's stated up front as a condition of this freebie, but it has no incremental cost to Toyota to pay a dealer in another state.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:45 am 

quartzav wrote:
@Tadol
I agree with some of your points but same argument can be made with GM's reaction to EV1 as well. There are some minor points differentiate between what they do but you can say corporations are inherently evil.

Getting a bit off topic from the EV, but I disagree about using terms like good or evil when referring to a business structure. Corporations are, in many ways, the simplest form of business entity, because their motivations are quite pure and extremely easy to understand and control. They want to make as much money with as little effort as possible. We can directly affect them through legislation ( either taxation or regulation of business practices ) and by consumer awareness, by attacking them directly at that bottom line of profit and shareholder value. You can start to apply the good or evil labels only when they step outside this simple model, by declaring themselves "non-profit" or "tax exempt". At that point, you do have to be very, very cautious about them. Once they try to assume a moral stance, and remove themselves from the controls of taxation and legislation, then you have only consumer awareness to work with, and generally, that only pits the believers against the non-believers, and truth flees -

But back to EVs - thru legislation, mixed with a bit of consumer awareness, we managed to bring products to market thru the major players that they would not have developed if they had not been forced to. Its easy to find fault with them - they are (were) not perfect, but thats in keeping with every other model of this product. Our best option is to keep asking for them, buying whats available to us, supporting legislation and regulation that creates incentives for their manufacture and purchase, and the most important - change peoples attitudes towards them. Almost every person who looks at or gets a ride in my Rav has alot of the same concerns and fears about "something new" - technology, range, charging, service - the same concerns I had before i purchased mine. But they are easily addressed, and by my using it daily, it helps make it clear that it is workable, it is an acceptable alternative - heck, its a preferable alternative - and that helps raise awareness, which raises interest, which raises demand. As more get built, and the infrastructure develops for charging and service, all of the pieces start to fall into place and it all becomes a much, much easier decision -

But to think Toyota wants to kill the EV is incorrect - unless you can prove to me how killing the EV improves their bottom line. I think the questions that need to be asked are about why they all think it is going to be so much more profitable to develop the fuel cell. Maybe, thru our tax laws, or our regulatory expectations, or our lack of either, maybe we've created a business environment that is encouraging them to pursue this and not the EV. But it seems Mr. Musk sees potential with the EV, so maybe other corporate minds will start to rethink their positions?

I'm glad that I'm in a position to help just by spending my money on a product that i both enjoy and get great value from. So much easier than many environmental actions that don't have such immediate rewards and you have to scrub up afterwards - :roll: