Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatfische

https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/planning_center/vehicle_protection_plans/vehicle_service_agreements

Not available in every state in the USA!

Vehicle Eligibility
Vehicles are eligible for a "New Vehicle" VSA for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Coverage is effective from date of first use as a new vehicle and zero miles. Vehicle is considered new at date of first use even if vehicle has 799 miles or less on the date vehicle was first placed into service. Coverage expires at maximum time or mileage of the selected plan, whichever comes first.

Roadside Assistance
Coverage is effective throughout the life of the Agreement, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year within the continental US and Canada. Includes towing, flat tire, lockout, jump start and fuel delivery services (up to 3 gallons, excluding Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles). NOTE: Excludes Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles, which may be towed to the nearest authorized Toyota servicing dealer or authorized fueling station. Fuel delivery will not apply.

Substitute Transportation
Up to $50 per day for a maximum of 5 days per occurrence. Requires prior approval from TFS.

Benefits: Travel Protection Lodging and Meals
Up to $100 per day for lodging and meals if you're more than 150 miles from home. Call us at 1-800-228-8559 prior to incurring expenses to obtain approvals. Maximum of 5 days over the life of your agreement.

Deductible Options
$0 or $100 disappearing deductible per eligible repair visit.

Transferability
One-time, no-cost transferability from original owner is available. Between private parties only. Excludes dealers.

Cancellation
You can cancel your VSA within 30 days for a full refund, less a $50 processing fee. Pro-rata refund is applied after 30 days or if claim is paid. Please see your dealer for state-specific cancellation policies.
Coverage is subject to exclusions and limitations set forth in the Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA).

If you buy the "new car" Toyota Platinum warranty, if you turn the car in and if you ask for the refund, then you will be refunded a prorated from when the car was sold new.

That means you pay for a 6 year / 100,000 mile Toyota Platinum warranty at any time under the 3 year/36,000 mile new car warranty (by the way, DON'T waste your money on any other warranty), then when you turn it in at the end of a 3 year lease, you'll get about half your money back.

Note: VSAs (warranties) are optional, cancellable (see terms of Agreement) and not required to obtain credit. The benefits and covered operations stated here are subject to change or may vary slightly based upon the purchase date of the Agreement.

*Time and mileage coverage periods are measured from the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle and zero miles. Coverage expires upon reaching the maximum time or mileage of the coverage period selected, whichever occurs first. Ineligible vehicles include taxis, shuttle, commuter, municipal, professional, medical, emergency or police vehicles, salvage vehicles, all vehicles used or to be used for competitive driving or racing, vehicles used or to be used for plowing snow or towing a trailer in a manner exceeding manufacturer's recommendations, and all vehicles to be held by the purchaser or lessee for hire to the public or for hire to any persons not affiliated with the vehicle purchaser or lessee.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

Eligibility:

New
New Toyota vehicle less than 3 years old and up to
36,000 total vehicle miles.

Used
Used Toyota vehicle within current plus 9 model
years old and up to 150,000 total vehicle miles.
See your dealer for eligibility requirements on nonToyota
vehicles. Used Vehicle plans are available
through your Toyota dealer only at the time of used
vehicle purchase or lease.

THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and
Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction
Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim;
Filters; Fluids; Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter;
Fuel Cell Electronic Control Unit; Fuel Cell Hydrogen Tanks; Fuel Cell
Power Control Unit; Fuel Cell Stack; Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack;
Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply
Battery Assembly; Hydrogen Fueling Electronic Control Unit; Interior
and Exterior Trim Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays,
Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings,
and Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust
and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark
Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades
(Rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching
including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited
to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping,
fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing, and/or scratches

RAV%20Warr%20Page%20What%20Covered_zpswzlwggv7.jpg

The source PDFs are here on the site.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=440

When I bought our RAV4 EV last year, I didn't pick up the factory extended vehicle service agreement, as I wanted to wait and see what reliability looked like down the road and to try and get competitive pricing.

I got a great quote a few months ago from Jerry Johnson in Kansas, but when I finally called him today to pull the trigger, he told me that Toyota had recently requested that he not do out-of-state phone sales for extended warranties. It looks like that's true of the other major dealerships who offer discounted Toyota warranties. I called around to local dealerships, and after calling 6 dealerships, I was only able to get one (pretty bad) quote. Even the dealership I purchased from couldn't connect me to a finance person to speak with!

Do any of you have a recommendation for a dealership in California who would be able to sell me the Toyota platinum VSA warranty at a discount? I already contacted Dianne, of course, but am still waiting to hear back from Carson finance about it.

I am also interested in buying the extended warranty. Please let us know what kind of pricing you will end up getting.

I bought one for my Sienna from Toyota of Greenfield (Massachusetts) in March. Pricing is the same for the Sienna and Rav4 . Here was the pricing

T3-TOYOTA SIENNA VAN, , RAV4 EV,
6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $509.00, 6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $749.00
6 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,019.00

7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $594.00, 7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $889.00
7 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,169.00

8 YEAR 75,000 MILES $709.00 8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $1,039.00
8 YEAR 125,000 MILES $1,424.00

0 deductible, unlimited towing, 5 days of rental coverage per repair.

I doubt the towing is really "unlimited" and that you can have them tow from South Carolina back to Carson Toyota.

mikegerard said:
I bought one for my Sienna from Toyota of Greenfield (Massachusetts) in March.
Toyota of Greenfield is great to deal with. When I bought my Prius in 2007 I purchased my extended warranty through them. Really smooth purchase, no complaints.

I spoke with Steve at Poway today and he quoted me $300 more than the prices listed above even after mentioning Tony's name ($1340 for 8 yr, 100,000)... did I do something wrong or did prices go up? I'll try calling around.

ground_gainer said:
I spoke with Steve at Poway today and he quoted me $300 more than the prices listed above even after mentioning Tony's name ($1340 for 8 yr, 100,000)... did I do something wrong or did prices go up? I'll try calling around.

Car dealers like money... He'll take what he can get, I guess.

Maybe someone at Carson Toyota will become the extended warranty kingpin. I know Dianne is probably to busy selling/leasing to have time to deal with extended warranties....or maybe not? Dianne? :)

Tony, would you mind posting what you paid. I too called Jerry and was interested in what I believe was 3 years, 80k miles at $399.00 for the top of the line extended warranty and was told what others have mentioned above.

it's my understanding that you can purchase anytime prior to the factory warranty expiring. Does that jive with what others have been told?

Todd said:
Maybe someone at Carson Toyota will become the extended warranty kingpin. I know Dianne is probably to busy selling/leasing to have time to deal with extended warranties....or maybe not? Dianne? :)

Tony, would you mind posting what you paid. I too called Jerry and was interested in what I believe was 3 years, 80k miles at $399.00 for the top of the line extended warranty and was told what others have mentioned above.

it's my understanding that you can purchase anytime prior to the factory warranty expiring. Does that jive with what others have been told?

I paid exactly what Jerry posted. Yes, I absolutely recommend waiting until just before your current warranty ends before purchasing an extended one.

I contacted Troy with Toyota of Greenfield in Mass. about buying an extended warranty for the RAV4 EV. He replied back saying Toyota won't let him sell out of state anymore unless a mailing address in Mass. is provided or I go there in person to purchase it. Here's his email. I'll contact Poway for an extended warranty quote.

Unfortunately, Toyota/Lexus are now restricting dealers from selling policies across state lines. So at the moment, I can only sell a genuine Toyota/Lexus policy if you have a Massachusetts address we can use for the paperwork, or if you can come here in-person to purchase it. (Hint: Do you have any friends or relatives in Mass?)

Assuming we are able to clear that hurdle, here’s all the basic info and quotes:

Vehicle: 2011 – 2014 Rav4 EV with less than 36,000 miles.

Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible:
6 yr / 75K - $685.00
6 yr / 100K - $985.00
6 yr / 125K - $1250.00
7 yr / 75K - $780.00
7 yr / 100K - $1140.00
7 yr / 125K - $1375.00
8 yr / 100K - $1255.00
8 yr / 125K - $1670.00

Most of the details on the Extra Care plans can be found directly at
Toyota's website at the following link, including all the various terms and
options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different
plan.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/#planning_center/vehicle_protection_plans/vehicle_service_agreement/new_vehicle

Here are the purchase instructions if / when you decide to purchase.

I would need you to mail me an original signed letter indicating the exact
current mileage on your vehicle, and a copy of your current registration.(If
you are in a state where you don't get your state registration right away, I
can also use a copy of the bill of sale, purchase contract, or some other
official document which shows the owners name and address, along with the
vehicles VIN)

Sorry, I know its a little inconvenient, but its the only way we could come
up to cover ourselves on the mileage and VIN verification. After I receive
your letter, I can call you for credit card info, if that's how you choose
to pay, or you can include a check, money order, or the credit card info
with it. Also, make sure that the registration copy is legible (I have
gotten a couple of them recently that I couldn't read or had part of the VIN
chopped off on the copy).

Mail to:

Toyota of Greenfield
1 Main Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)
Phone - (413) 772-0989 (My direct line).
Fax - (413) 774-2247

Thanks,

Troy

The Extended Warranty sounds fine, but I'm trying to figure out how it will mitigate risk for our specific vehicle.

The Platinum (top of the line) coverage seems to cover a bunch of ICE related stuff.
http://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

My main concern are the Tesla related items (ECU Gateway, batteries, drivetrain, DC-DC, and charger).
I assume the batteries are covered for 100k miles, and the drivetrain assembly for 50k miles. I don't have any idea about the DC-DC (and heater), charger, or gateway ECU, but doubt the extended warranty will cover them if not specifically identified.

Please enlighten me.

Kohler Controller said:
The Extended Warranty sounds fine, but I'm trying to figure out how it will mitigate risk for our specific vehicle.

The Platinum (top of the line) coverage seems to cover a bunch of ICE related stuff.
http://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

My main concern are the Tesla related items (ECU Gateway, batteries, drivetrain, DC-DC, and charger).
I assume the batteries are covered for 100k miles, and the drivetrain assembly for 50k miles. I don't have any idea about the DC-DC (and heater), charger, or gateway ECU, but doubt the extended warranty will cover them if not specifically identified.

Please enlighten me.
You got me thinking about this. The Powertrain Warranty is 60mo/60,000mi. Only the traction battery is covered 96mo/100,000mi. If you look at the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Guide, the following things ARE specifically covered by the Powertrain Warranty:
EV Charger
EV Gateway Control ECU
EV Traction Motor Assembly
Power Management Control ECU
Thermal Control ECU

The Powertrain Warranty seems short considering the mandatory Federal Emissions Warranty is 8yr/80,000mi. PZEV Emissions related equipment is also required to have a 15yr/150,000mi warranty. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

Finally, there is a note in the fine print at the bottom of the Platinum VSA brochure linked above:
Coverage is subject to exclusions and limitations set forth in the Vehicle Service Agreement. The actual coverage, exclusions, and limitations of the Agreements issued to customers may vary both from state to state and according to the program features chosen by the customer.
So, I think the best way to get answers about what is covered is to actually get an agreement to review before purchase. If you find that specific components are not mentioned, ask for a determination in writing on those specific components before purchasing the agreement. I am planning on keeping the car at least 5 years, so I will definitely be looking into this more next year - after 2 years but before 3/36k ownership.

Edit: You will also notice that the VSA brochure specifically excludes a number of important Hybrid System components. Those are specifically covered by their own warranty for 8yr/100,000mi.

With 35,909 miles on the odometer and my RAV4 EV at the dealer for a motor (likely refurbished motor) replacement due to the hum problem at low speeds, I just purchased the 6 year, 125K extended warranty from Troy. I gave the local Toyota dealers a shot, and they quoted me 80% higher initially and a "best" price of 40% higher than what I got it for.

Back